The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default BLAST from the PAST.... but Does Anyone Else Remember the Trixie Belden Mysteries?

I used to have a bunch of these when I was a girl a long time ago. I found some maybe 10 years ago at my parent's home...all in poor condition...and decided to try to find them all. I managed to collect them all off of Ebay. I've been rereading the series again...and totally enjoying them.

I guess they are out of print now?

I was curious if anyone else remembers these or has read them.

4 members found this post helpful.

OMG yes. These were my favorite books as a kid. I read every one multiple times, and was pretty sure that my life would be perfect if I could be Trixie (or Honey, or that other girl with the violet eyes...).

The best Christmas I've ever gotten was from a guy-friend who tracked down three early edition hard copies for me. I should probably have married that guy...

1 members found this post helpful.

Diana was the other girl. I'm just finished the Mystery at Cobbett's Island tonight and the next one is the Mystery of the Emeralds. It might be escapism or something but I so enjoy these old books...I will knock out a chapter or two at bedtime and turn out the light. No nightmares from these books!

I always envied Trixie for having a horse to ride. I didn't get a horse until I was 15 when my parents bought a farm in rural Pennsylvania where I grew up. I lived vicariously through Trixie for years.

I was just googling some stuff and found an entire page of ghost writers and who was believed to have written which books..fascinating. I'll link it:

http://www.trixie-belden.com/books/authors.htm

I read a couple of them.
    Also quiet popular in Germany at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

YES! I remember vividly the cover of my favorite, hard covered with turquoise print! I think I read them all, have to see if any are in the local library!

2 members found this post helpful.

Girl, I loved those!!

3 members found this post helpful.

I didn't know that Alagirl! So Trixie went international! Wow!

I just find it such a contrast to today to read these books....of the kids, their relationships with each other and their parents...no computers, no cell phones...just being outside and active like we were when we grew up.

I actually hate cell phones...I hate texting...if it wasn't for my business I'd not have one...certainly not a "smart" phone but I use it to scan credit cards, keep a schedule, text, email, internet, etc...all in my pocket. The world has changed so much since then hasn't it?

2 members found this post helpful.

I absolutely LOVED the Trixie Belden series. I thought she was the luckiest girl in the world to have such a wonderful friend in Honey and I always felt sorry for Diana, the poor little rich girl. I had every single one of those books, but stupidly gave them away when I was a teenager. It is on my "bucket list" to buy them all again. I also loved the Cherry Ames nurse series (not horse related, but I just had to mention them).

I still try to say "Rabbit, Rabbit" on the first of the month, LOL.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I didn't know that Alagirl! So Trixie went international! Wow!

I just find it such a contrast to today to read these books....of the kids, their relationships with each other and their parents...no computers, no cell phones...just being outside and active like we were when we grew up.

I actually hate cell phones...I hate texting...if it wasn't for my business I'd not have one...certainly not a "smart" phone but I use it to scan credit cards, keep a schedule, text, email, internet, etc...all in my pocket. The world has changed so much since them hasn't it?
    Indeed....I had to explain to the schools guidance councelor the other day how I prefer my calls to come in on the land line....

But the amazing thing always was that those kids could do anything when needed....I remember the book I read, Trixie was galloping through Arizona!

But gasp and horrors, the parents actually demanded the kids do well in school!
    and good grief...the teenage kids were left to wander the world on their own...to chase spies and smugglers! As long as the dog was with them....

Gosh, I loff those books!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I forgot Rabbit Rabbit! Great Memory LAZ!

SCM1959...my mother threw a lot of mine away too. I have a few of the originals left but they are in very poor condition. I bought practically the whole series all over again. It was worth it!

Now when I feel nostalgic, I'll pull them out and start reading again!

I never read the Cherry Ames books. Sounds interesting.

I read them!!! I read every girl mystery series I could find.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I read them, my daughter read them and now my granddaughter is hooked on them. I have a couple ragged copies floating around the house and I've noticed when my daughter comes for a visit, ome of them usually ends up on the nightstand where she sleeps. I know there were quiye a few written after I stopped readimg them. I'll havd to see if I can ferret them out to see if Trixie and Jim ever hooked up. It WASjim, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Indeed....I had to explain to the schools guidance councelor the other day how I prefer my calls to come in on the land line....

But the amazing thing always was that those kids could do anything when needed....I remember the book I read, Trixie was galloping through Arizona!

But gasp and horrors, the parents actually demanded the kids do well in school!
    and good grief...the teenage kids were left to wander the world on their own...to chase spies and smugglers! As long as the dog was with them....

Gosh, I loff those books!
    It's true...they were able to go and do things without parent's and just the faithful Miss Trask keeping tabs on them. They even rode horses and bikes without helmets! GASP! I can't remember too many references to watching TV or staying inside either unless there was a real bad blizzard or storm.

I could also SO relate to Trixie having to help her mother. I grew up doing the same on our farm...garden, dishes, housework..an no allowance...it was just expected of me!

Default Yes!

I used to have a bunch of these when I was a girl a long time ago. I found some maybe 10 years ago at my parent's home...all in poor condition...and decided to try to find them all. I managed to collect them all off of Ebay. I've been rereading the series again...and totally enjoying them.

I guess they are out of print now?

I was curious if anyone else remembers these or has read them.
    Oh wow, I have been trying to remember the names of these for years! Thank you! Now I will start looking for them
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I read them, my daughter read them and now my granddaughter is hooked on them. I have a couple ragged copies floating around the house and I've noticed when my daughter comes for a visit, ome of them usually ends up on the nightstand where she sleeps. I know there were quiye a few written after I stopped readimg them. I'll havd to see if I can ferret them out to see if Trixie and Jim ever hooked up. It WASjim, wasn't it?
    Yes she and Jim were an item. I always thought a series of her and Honey as adult detectives (as they planned to be) would have been fun.

I don't think they ever officially hooked up in the books but you sure got a lot of hints that they were sweet on each other.

You're welcome Brandy! I hope you can find them all!

Default Thanks!

You're welcome Brandy! I hope you can find them all!
    I'll let you know I can't thank you enough what wonderful memories just seeing those names bring back!
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

These were my absolute favorite books as a kid. In my world, there was nothing better than when I found a new Trixie Belden book that I hadn't read yet. I had almost all of them and am not entirely sure where they are now. Hopefully in storage somewhere!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

I have about twenty or thirty of them on my shelves. I remeber enjoying them very much and will reread at lest a couple to see if they still appealed to me.

I am doing this with a lot of my old books and it can be interesting.