The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Westminster Dog Show

Anyone else watching?

I always cheer for my breeds, but try to stay objective as to who's the best example/closest to their standard.

About to start it (on DVR)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Isn't it tomorrow and Tuesday?

Apparently my dear, sweet SO recorded the 2012 competition.

My friends Aussie is showing tomorrow morning. It won't be on TV until tomorrow night though.

Tonight they are showing rerun of last year.

Tomorrow and Tuesday is this year's show.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I have friends showing their dogs, so I am interested in who makes it into Groups. It's unlikely that a Cavalier will make it into BIS, though, so after that, it's just plain fun!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I'm watching the 2012 rerun now and looking forward to the next two days! Too bad my breed shows so early on Tuesday or I might have tried to go watch for the day....

I believe there is a live feed, though, so anyone wanting to watch breed competition should be able to see it....(I think, anyway...I hope!)

Anyone know what network will be airing this year's?

CNBC

1 members found this post helpful.

The dog I was hoping to cheer on had a last minute wardrobe malfunction and ended up not going.
    You are what you dare.

ehhh, I use to follow it & a few of the other big shows, but not anymore. I can't stand watching dogs from my favorite breeds parading around looking not even close to their breed standards. It's rather pathetic how far gone some of the bench lines have gone. Yep it's a lot more than one breed I'm talking about too.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's on CNBC Monday night and on USA on Tuesday night.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Scotties! Sussex! Scotties! Sussex! (Also Westies, Soft-Coated Wheatens...I'm mostly a terrier and small spaniel girl at heart.)

Default I love watching

But thanks for the reminder. I forgot it was on CNBC. I told my sister who can watch USA but she may not have CNBC. I am more and more against thes show standards.But I still love watching the dogs.
    Another killer of threads

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

One thing that a lot of people don't know who watch this show on TV is that these are mostly the same dogs, the same handlers, and some of the same Judges that you see at dog shows on any weekend, around the country. A lot of people, including the handlers, put a lot of emphasis on this one show, but a lot of times other dogs of any breed have beaten these dogs in other shows.

It's a big money game for some people. Professional Handlers get paid by the dog's owners every time they go in the ring. Owners pay Thousands of dollars to get pictures of the dogs with the Judges in show magazines. There is a Lot of politics involved in the whole show scheme. It's not unusual for some of these dogs to have an owner who has spent one or two hundred thousand dollars getting points on the dog.

Those of us who never pay a dollar to a handler, or grace a Judge with their picture in a glossy magazine, but still manage to put Championships on dogs they breed themselves, are the ones that have a line to their door.

If your breed gets Breed at the Garden without a handler, please post here.

1 members found this post helpful.

sounds a lot like another animal based competition industry, eh Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    My dog's breeder was the breeder/owner/handler of the Irish Setter BOB at the most recent Eukanuba National. Mary and Vincenzo will be at Westminster too; I'll be rooting for them!

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Anyone know what network will be airing this year's?
    CNBC Monday 8-11 pm EST; USA Tuesday 8-11 pm EST. This year for the first time I hope I will have access to a computer during the day to watch livestream breed judging. Wish they would have that on TV!

I watched last year's show on CNBC tonight and got to see Malachy again (fell in love with the little guy a year ago tonight watching the rerun of the 2011 show). And got to hear the "I Could Be Great" song that had me in tears last year.

Just wish they would do the Advantix/Advantage "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh" song again!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    One thing that a lot of people don't know who watch this show on TV is that these are mostly the same dogs, the same handlers, and some of the same Judges that you see at dog shows on any weekend, around the country. A lot of people, including the handlers, put a lot of emphasis on this one show, but a lot of times other dogs of any breed have beaten these dogs in other shows.

It's a big money game for some people. Professional Handlers get paid by the dog's owners every time they go in the ring. Owners pay Thousands of dollars to get pictures of the dogs with the Judges in show magazines. There is a Lot of politics involved in the whole show scheme. It's not unusual for some of these dogs to have an owner who has spent one or two hundred thousand dollars getting points on the dog.

Those of us who never pay a dollar to a handler, or grace a Judge with their picture in a glossy magazine, but still manage to put Championships on dogs they breed themselves, are the ones that have a line to their door.

I like to think of Westminster a little differently; it's sort of like the Grammy's for dog shows.

I've met and made friends with a few professional handlers over the last couple of years and some of them are going. I wish them nothing but good luck - it's a big deal for handlers too.

In terms of dogs, though, there is way more competition and opportunity for owner handlers to do just as well at our nationals and some of the specialty shows in our area. It would be cool to win the breed at Westminster but I'll wait for the nationals instead. I'll be happy to sit this one out and watch from home. I understand what you're saying, though. It's just easy for me not to care (at this point in my dog career).

I do think it's worth noting for those that don't watch or participate in dog shows that these ARE the same dogs and handlers we compete against all the time. There's no such thing as a "local" dog show v. the A Circuit. There are a few nice dogs from my breed showing and I hope very much that one in particular doesn't win because I have to show against him often. It will make him hard to beat for a while if he wins tomorrow.

I think it's fun to watch the handlers on TV and say "hey, I saw her last weekend fixing her bra with a safety pin!"

Fifi is owner bred and handled. And was totally robbed in the group