The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breathable open fronts

As per the title, I'm looking for recommendations for breathable open fronts.

My horse is three months back into work after a check ligament injury and just started jumping a bit two weeks ago. The leg is staying good but seems to be a bit warm after working. When we first started back I was using the T-sport bandages. I liked them at the begininng but found they were retaining to much heat. I went back to using these fleece lined open front that he wore before as he was sensitive to neoprene http://www.beval.com/Products/Euro-P...s/2020009.aspx I'm concerned the fleece would be causing it to heat up too much as well. So any recommendations for cooler boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive View Post
    As per the title, I'm looking for recommendations for breathable open fronts.

My horse is three months back into work after a check ligament injury and just started jumping a bit two weeks ago. The leg is staying good but seems to be a bit warm after working. When we first started back I was using the T-sport bandages. I liked them at the begininng but found they were retaining to much heat. I went back to using these fleece lined open front that he wore before as he was sensitive to neoprene http://www.beval.com/Products/Euro-P...s/2020009.aspx I'm concerned the fleece would be causing it to heat up too much as well. So any recommendations for cooler boots.
    I have used eskadron climatex wraps under boots before for horses that have this issue-- or just the wraps by themselves. However, they are not open front and all the boots I can think of are closed front boots.

These are very eventer-y and I can't tell...they don't look fully open front? http://www.smartpakequine.com/premie...x?cm_vc=Search

You could look into the Veredus line of boots.
    http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/...ine-Boots.html

Eskadron has new 'breathable neoprene' ones, but you did mention your horse is sensitive to neoprene. They also have their regular gel lined ones.
    http://www.eskadron.org.uk/product_s...ping-boots/76#

Equifit has the T-Boot Original Open Fronts that they advertise as breathable and neoprene free.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/equifit...p5fobbnhzmxt45

We use the Equilibrium Tri-Zone Airlite Tendon boots and have been very happy with them.

equifits stay nice & cool.

Anything with natural materials should stay cooler-so maybe a pair of leather open fronts with wool/sheepskin backing, if you can find a relatively cheap pair. I also have used a pair of the cheapie Roma open front schooling boots that have woolback. You can find a pair of these for around $45 on ebay.

I currently use and love the Toklat Valenas-the lining is wool back, and the other part is synthetic but it doesn't make my horse's legs heat up at all. However, they are not open fronts.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    We use the Equilibrium Tri-Zone Airlite Tendon boots and have been very happy with them.
    When these first came out in open fronts, I tried them and really liked them - horse's legs were mostly dry when I pulled off the boot. In the summer. In the south. That's pretty breathable, and they provided good protection where I wanted it (strike pad area).

My only problem was that the regular (not open front) were too big for my 15'3 TB's cannons (I wouldn't call him particularly fine boned for a TB). The open fronts would have solved that because you can tighten an open front a lot more w/o worrying about overlap/running out of velcro, but they delayed shipping them by like 5 months and eventually I just gave up and went with Thinlines (supposedly also breathable). I believe thinline when they say that material is breathable, but the shell surrounding it most definitely appears to not be breathable.

And then I left him in the stall w/thinlines on for about 15 minutes and he very neatly grabbed an end and managed - without hardly looking like he touched teh boot - to get a piece of stitchin and effectively "opened" the boot between shell and lining - not unlike opening a bag of grain. ZIIIIIIIIP. Ass.

So then I bought the T-fits. I like them a lot but I wouldn't describe them as breathable - the tfit material might be, but not the cover.

I may have to get a pair of the trizones if the open fronts actually do exist now! (I swear, they hit th ecatlog in March, somewhere around September when they were delayed again, I gave up - and this was definitely the manufacturer, nto the store)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I know professionals choice also makes a ventilated open front boot that looks very nice; I have only heard good things about them and they look nice to me. About $100 per pair for fronts, but not too bad for leather open fronts. I think they also make a synthetic model.

Thanks for the suggestions. The trizone openfronts look promising. I am in love equifits but trainer isn't a fan of boots with the third strap across the front of the fetlock.

I looked to see if premier equine has open fronts and looks like they have a new model for 2013. http://www.premierequine.co.uk/acata...ock_Boots.html

DMK - I got my Tri-Zones at Malvern Saddlery. Price was comparable to other carriers.

My trainer has a pair of the Trizone open fronts, and has been using them a lot this year in Florida. The only flaw is they aren't super "shaped" and don't hug the leg like a veredus or eskadron type, so they tend to twist slightly out of place....nothing terrible but it might drive the more neurotic of us (you know who you are) a bit crazy. However, they definitely seem to do the job of ventilating and leaving the legs cool. So if that is your priority, definitely recommended!

I would suggest the veredus carbon gel vento tendon boots, they're expensive but really worth it. http://amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Vere...ine-Boots.html
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים