The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Omaha Steaks

I just saw an advertisement for Omaha Steaks and I am curious - what makes them so special for someone to mail order meat? Is it that tasty? Worth trying for a special event? I am genuinely curious why you'd have meat shipped, versus buying locally. Anyone ever try them?
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I think it's mostly that you can send them as gifts....We get them every year from the in-laws. The steaks are pretty good...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

They also have stores you can buy from. I don't know if they are any good but they have been around for many years, so they must be doing something right. They certainly can't be any worse than the steaks from the local store.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Never. I live around the corner from Stewarts Meats

http://www.stewartsmeatmarket.com/
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I got some as a gift for my neighbor this year, and got a good deal on some for me because of it. The steaks are good, the chicken patties are better and the seasoned boneless leg of lamb is out of this world. Even I couldn't ruin it, and I can't cook. The stuff is awfully expensive, though and I don't think I will be buying any more any time soon.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

We sent some as gifts last year to business associates, I now get bombarded with coupons, emails and phone calls. I finally chewed out someone on the other end of the phone and said enough! It bordered on harrasement, seriously.

1 members found this post helpful.

We got them as a gift.
    They are consistent, which is nice. Portions seemed small (average steak we got was 4oz) and the cuts are thin, so if you like medium rare, you need a high heat and maybe a minute each side.
    I'd never buy it for myself, but living in a meat wasteland, I appreciate the gift.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

We've both given and received them as gifts, and I'd say they're better than your average grocery store piece of meat. I have no idea why they're so good, but they probably have some kind of spiel on their website.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

We always got those when I was growing up! I just remember them being really yummy... and when they'd arrive I'd be stoked because my dad would pour water on the dry ice that they came packed with, and I would pretend to have magical powers. :-)
    my brother hosted a house party when my parents were gone once during his senior year. The distinguished host he was, my brother grilled up every last Omaha steak in our freezer for his classmates. I just knew he was going to be killed once my parents came home, but my brother cooked me one as well, so i was pretty happy.
    And yep, the fallout for that move was remarkable!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Omaha beef is USDA prime. Grocery stores carry select and choice.
    USDA Prime grade is around 3% of all beef. Prime is also what's often called "restaurant grade" because mid to higher end restaurants are by far the largest buyers of Prime grade beef.

The three top things to look for in quality beef is the USDA grade, then the cut, then how it's prepared/cooked. (never cook a cold steak) You can definitely tell a prime steak from a choice or select steak. That's not to say that choice is lousy or anything...handled and cooked well it's also very good. But in a side by side...the prime wins for taste and texture.

Omaha are decent steaks/meats. Costly but prime also costs more than choice.

FWIW, if anyone is going to make a special meal and wants to do a rib roast, filet, etc...I'd invest the extra and go find Prime grade.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh bits, that reminds me of the time my parents went to Florida for a month, and my sister was still living at home. I stopped by and saw the white box sitting on the carport, asked my sister how long it had been out there and she said "at least a week". Yep, filled with Omaha Steaks sitting out in the mild April temps. There was some fallout from that too.