The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Showmark VS. Red Barn?

Hi! Im looking for a new show bridle! I was wondering what your suggestions were, if you have seen either the Showmark or Red Barn bridles! They are both comparable in price, and they look the same. I haven't seen either in person, so I was wondering! Also, any other brands/ models you would recommend? Im looking for a show bridle under 240! Thanks

BeachGirl

I have a Showmark that I purchased 3 years ago just for shows and it still looks great! The leather is very soft and supple and I have gotten quite a few compliments on it. Great bridle for someone on a budget.

I also have a Bobby's that was cheaper (under $200 I believe) that while the leather is not the same quality as the Showmark, has beautiful fancy stitching like you would see on a Beval. Both are nice bridles for the money.

Do the more expensive bridles stand up to time and use better than lower cost bridles? I have bridles that I paid $30 for eight years ago that are still in great shape and look awesome. What is the reasoning behind paying $250+ for a bridle? Honestly curious, I'd love to get one but am not around a lot of show barns/riders to ask about (that's why I'm on here!)

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    Do the more expensive bridles stand up to time and use better than lower cost bridles? I have bridles that I paid $30 for eight years ago that are still in great shape and look awesome. What is the reasoning behind paying $250+ for a bridle? Honestly curious, I'd love to get one but am not around a lot of show barns/riders to ask about (that's why I'm on here!)
    I think it depends partly on how well you care for them, but there are differences between top quality and poor quality, including the quality of the leather, the stitching per inch, hand blocking, leaking glue, stretching and many other small, irritating factors. I have owned Hadfields, Antares, Edgewood, CWD, Beval Heritage, Crosby and a cheap Dover Circuit bridle, and although the Dover bridle was excellent for the money and very pretty, it didn't compare in beauty or leather quality to the more expensive ones, which were all used as everyday bridles and held up better than any cheap bridle I have used. That doesn't mean you can't find good quality without paying a fortune though. Check out premiertackoutlet.com which discounts high end tack, also Beval is having their annual sale with 20% off. Beval has added several new lines of strap goods to replace older lines that have been discontinued, I am not familiar with the new lines but they do have bridles in many different price ranges. You can get seconds of Edgewood on ebay, which have only very small imperfections that don't effect the bridle in any way and are sometimes almost unnoticeable. Also check out justbridles.com. The Arams bridles are also very nice.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting an awesome Beval bridle under the annual sale, that was originally around 300 dollars and I got it for 160!! Love it!

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a Red Barn figure 8 bridle that came apart after a few months of using it. I take care of my tack so it wasn't due to that. I was very disappointed

I have a red barn halter that I LOVE! It has such soft and supple leather, it's padded and fancy stitched, my mare looks like a million bucks in it!

Quote Originally Posted by superD View Post
    I had a Red Barn figure 8 bridle that came apart after a few months of using it. I take care of my tack so it wasn't due to that. I was very disappointed
    Please contact KL select - they stand behind all of their products & will make this right for you. your Red Barn bridle should last if
    Or years not months. 860 437 7232