The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FUN Thread! What are we doing with our young horses?

The discussions on other threads about the ages of horses eventing and what they are being asked to do has me thinking about the topic. I thought it might be fun to share and compare our experiences.

What is your horse's age and breeding (plus other pertinent info, such as sex, height, etc)?

How long have you owned your horse?

Do you consider yourself an amateur or professional?

What is your horse's stable management routine (living conditions and general care requirements)?

How did you start your horse and at what age?

What is your horse currently doing and/or what level is it competing?

How often do you ride/school and for how long?

How involved in a trainer/instructor with both schooling and competition?

What extracurricular horse activities do you pursue (activities aside from your main pursuits)?

How particular are your goals? For example, do you want to reach x level by x age?

Name the biggest challenge you've faced bringing up a "baby"?

Pictures, of course, are encouraged!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Putting my old one under lights so I can GET me a young one in a year or so . . .
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'll bite! I was hoping to open this thread and have some responses to read during dinner... but it looks like I'm the first to open the door.

What is your horse's age and breeding (plus other pertinent info, such as sex, height, etc)?

My guy is new. Last race was in Sept. I brought him home in Oct. He will be 4 in April.

4.5 months

I considerr myself an amateur according to ride time and # of horses that I ride (I ride 1 horse 4 days a week. I actually didn't get to ride all summer, so I'm happy to be back in the saddle!)
    The USEF considers me a Pro because I have a sponsorship.

What is your horse's stable management routine (living conditions and general care requirements)?
    He lives out with the mini donkey and my yearling 24/7.
    I'm a waaaay back woods redneck owner.
    My horses have no routine. They usually eat 2 times a day. I feed whenever I get around to it. I'm working from home these days so if I get up at 7am they eat at 7am. If I get up at 10am..they eat at 10am. Same thing for dinners.

This horse is off the track. But I start my horses if they are unbroke. I plan to be on my yearling as soon as she looks big enough to hold me. Probably as a long 2 year old. I plan on being atop of her bareback with a halter. She will start work as a long 3 year old. But I give a lot of time off until they are 5 year olds. weeks here and there between big educational break throughs.
    My OTTB is still young. He will not compete this year. Maybe late fall but it's still too early to tell. I take him to the XC schoolings and jump the GAG stuff. I jump my own XC stuff (it's all BN and lower). His dressage is coming along. I've installed enough discipline in him to get leg yield and shoulder in. He does A LOT of cavaletti. LOTS! He jumps Xs and 2' gates/verticals.

How often to you ride/school and for how long?
    He schools about 4 days a week. I'm usually on for 40 min to an hour. 30 minutes of it being at the walk with him on the bit and in stretchy walk.

I do not have a trainer at this point. I usually don't start schooling with a coach until I get them to Training level.

What extracurricular horse activities do you pursue (activities aside from you main pursuits)?
    I go to the local jumper shows, the local dressage shows, and the trail competitions when I can.

How particular are your goals? For example, do you want to reach x level by x age?
    I am goal and schedule oriented. I have my life planned out months and years in advance. That being said, the goals and schedule are very dynamic.

My biggest challenge with bringing up a baby was realizing the day when the baby was "done cookin" and ready to move on to it's next chapter. Letting them go is pretty tough.

Pictures, of course, are encouraged!

here is my lovely homebred that I spoke about.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/both-1.jpg
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oom/3week3.jpg

Can't WAIT to get her going. I led her around my SJ stuff last week. She popped right over the liver pool with me! And she hops over cavaletti and flower boxes no problemo.

here is what my horses do best:
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/IMG_1389.jpg

here was the OTTBs sale photo.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...om/jackson.jpg

My test drive was so terrible. And he was sooo good. I bought him on the spot (pending PPE of course)
    here is my OTTB last week.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps3ff5dcc5.jpg
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Red face

The only one I have now that I've had since almost babyhood is now 9yo, TB mare, 15.2h, out of an Intermediate mare by a stallion who stood briefly at an UL event barn but was sold as a hunter.

5 years but she has been in my barn/under my control for 7.

Professional

Turned out 12 hours in paddock alone, with neighbors, 12 hours in 12x12 stall.

Walked around xc schools on a lead at 2. Started at late 3yo by w/s but didn't get tall enough for her to feel comfortable on. Did one maiden event summer of her 4yo year, then when I took her over she did 2 BN, ran Novice her 5yo year, Training at 6, Prelim at 7 and 8.

Just did her first Intermediate and went clean jumping xc. Could have moved up earlier if I'd had money/time.....!

Gah. Maybe 2-3x/week on a GREAT week.

1-2 dressage clinics a year, 4-5 jumps lessons and a clinic or 2 a year.

What extracurricular horse activities do you pursue (activities aside from your main pursuits)?

HAHAHAHA. I shoe horses full-time now, teach part-time, run the barn.... I read 4-5 novels/week (at night while my night owl hubby is refusing to turn off the TV). I used to paint and write but do not have the creative energy anymore....!

Advanced is starting to look pretty doable. But not a burning desire thing, just "hey, cool, I think this horse could do this".

Time and energy!

In a year or so I'll post about her half-sister who is just now 3....!

Jennifer

What is your horse's age and breeding (plus other pertinent info, such as sex, height, etc)? Mark (Roc USA x MS Godiva Gold), 4.5 y.o. gelding, 16h chestnut with hind socks and a blaze

How long have you owned your horse? ​about 2 years, but known him since he was foaled and competed his dam up to Training level eventing

amateur

board at a great barn with 24 hour turnout unless bad weather, hay analyzed and vitamins supplemented as needed

started him myself at age 3, but his mind wasn't ready, so took a little time off and did more work as he got closer to 4

Mark spent last summer with a h/j trainer while DH and I moved, then shipped out to Texas in October. We've done several schooling dressage and h/j shows and one event derby, with another one this weekend. We're doing the grand level of Goldilocks (2'3)!

4-5 days a week, about 30-40 minutes each ride, or lunging in side reins about 25 min if I don't ride

no trainer since we moved to Texas, but may take some dressage lessons with a local trainer that comes to our barn

finishing my master's thesis, looking for a job, reading a ton, riding another horse at the barn for the owner

Would like to do a recognized BN HT by the summer, but will take things at the speed the horse (and finances) dictate

Name the biggest challenge you've faced bringing up a "baby?
    Mark has a wonderful head on his shoulders and has been a fantastic learner both o/f and on the flat, so it has been hard to remember sometimes that he is still young and learning and building, and not to push him too hard or get frustrated when he's not as confirmed as an older horse would be.

Not sure if these are public or not (how does one do that, anyway?):
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

I wanted to let some other people answer before I answered my own thread. Edited to add that the blue text are links.

5-year-old Welsh/TB cross gelding; by RosMel's Notorious (Welsh, Section B) out of Bluezar (Jockey Club mare); born March 29, 2008

Since he was 4 months old; saw his ad online as a foal and it was love at first sight. First time I've ever owned a "baby" or brought up a young horse with no previous handling.

Definitely amateur; I work full time in veterinary medical publishing

Feed:
    Triple Crown Lite, 0.75 lb 2x/day; soaked hay cubes at bed check; hay that we make ourselves, which is a timothy/orchard grass mix
    Turnout: 8 H per day from late fall until late spring on sacrifice paddocks with hay available; 12 H per night from early summer to mid fall on grass pastures
    Stabling: Opposite of turnout schedule--in at night during colder months and in during the day during hotter months. He LOVES his stall and cannot
    wait to come in to take a nap...if he can reach his blankets/sheets, he'll pull those in the stall and sleep on them.

How did you start your horse and at what age? What is your horse currently doing and/or what level is it competing?

Yearling:
    Basic handling--learning to tie, be groomed and clipped, have feet trimmed, ride on the trailer, desensitizing exercises,
    brief trips off the farm

Two-year-old:
    Lunging (with and without side reins), long lining (took 6 months of lessons--some of the best money ever spent!), lightly backed during the summer (total nonissue),trailered to "hang out" at shows, introduced cross country obstacles and water in hand

Three-year old:
    Started riding again, introduced hacking and going out with other horses, continued long lining, also introduced more cross country obstacles in hand, began cantering under saddle at end of year (at our first "clinic," which was with our trainer)

Four-year-old: First year that we made leaps and bounds in progress because he was ready for it! Started with working on W/T/C work in spring,he was laid up for the summer due to pasture injury, came back late summer and did his first dressage show(did 4 altogether by end of year with nice scores!), introduced jumping--both in the ring and cross country, did our first foxhunt, went trail riding regularly with friends

By the end of last year, he was competing at USDF Training Level, schooling 2' gymnastics (video) and similar size cross country courses. I'd like to shoot to compete at First Level by the end of this year as well as introduce show jumping and, if he's ready, try a mini event.

Weekly schedule
    (when my health allows me!):
    + Two dressage schools (approximately 30 to 40 min + short hack
    + Two hacks/trail rides (anywhere from 30 min to 2 H)
    + Lesson (dressage or jumping) or day off

He gets 2 to 3 weeks off several times a year for a mental break. However, he loves having a "job" and actually nickers when I bring the saddle in the barn!

And some days we just goof off, whether it's jumping banks at liberty (video) or riding around bareback.

I've found that having regular lessons helps me avoid so many training issues that would be perpetuated if I didn't have someone on the ground to help me. I feel like my trainers have provided a great "toolbox" of solutions to try when I'm having a tougher day than normal. This guys is a lovely ride, but not easy. You have to stay a step ahead of him and keep his mind very engaged.

I ride with Jane Cory on a weekly basis (as much as my schedule allows) and try to do a once-a-month dressage lesson with Wendy Lewis, which I just started doing this winter. Both work on the same principles but the slightly different approach helps me make breakthroughs more quickly.

I wouldn't be interested in clinicking anytime soon--Rally *thinks* he is very confident but that confidence can be undermined easily (especially cross country) if you don't read him quickly and correctly.

Well, I consider that dressage and show jumping fall under the umbrella of eventing. So my newest activity has been
    fox hunting! Rally loves it and what a difference it has made in his confidence and maturity. I am very interested to see how he comes back to cross country after our hunting this winter.

I also have a background in sidesaddle, so I've planned a weekend with my good friend and sidesaddle trainer, Kit Roszko, this summer where we'll introduce Rally to sidesaddle. Perhaps we'll even huntside saddle next fall/winter! Riding astride for 2 to 3 hours is very painful for me and I'm wondering if doing it side saddle might be an improvement. I know...I'm a bit crazy!

When I bought Rally, I was very particular that he was going to be my next event pony/horse. However, I've realized that I'm happy to pursue whatever he likes best. He is still so mentally immature that I have no worries about where our training path with take us. It's been fun discovering what we enjoy together.

This is where I am troubled by the ages of younger event horses at the FEI levels. IME, most horses truly reach physical and mental maturity about 8 years of age. They may appear mature at a younger age but, to me, even at "coming 5" Rally is still very much a baby, even in his behavior toward other horses.

In my perfect world, Rally and I would eventually do a Training Three-Day. That was the best experience of my life with
    Traveler, my previous horse, and I would love to repeat it. I have no desire to compete above that level.

Walking the fine line of NOT asking too much or too little. Some days you cross the line and realize you've pushed when you should have been more patient. One bad experience can take a LOT of time to undo. On the other hand, it's also easy to literally baby them and not realize that it's time to introduce new concepts or enforce good behavior.

For example, I'd let Rally get away with being a bit naughty in his canter departs most of last year--because he had such a nice canter once we were cantering and was getting his leads. However, in my first lesson with Wendy, she really got after me and said he was a big boy and the dramatics were unnecessary! I started riding him more forward into the departs and "voila" the "explosiveness" of the departs went away.

Other challenge was overcoming my fear of MESSING HIM UP! I thought I'd be "afraid" of riding a young horse...Nope! My fear has been my lack of confidence to train a youngster since I'm a little ole amateur. And keeping him from "being all he can be." LOL! However, I because I make mistakes every once in a while, he's also learning to cope with me, which will make him a very good amateur mount. And he's perfectly happy doing anything...as long as were doing something.
    Even when it's making hats out of the beach ball he smooshed!
    Last edited by KellyS; Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bob is a 4 year old morgan pony, and Lucy a 5 year old TB, unraced

couple of weeks

As a rider, a rank amateur, however, Bob's training is paid for by his real mom, so I'm a professional.

They all live out in the herd.

About 4. Lucy was started by someone else - my best friend, as it happens. Bob was started like all the ponies are, by just carrying on with him day by day until he was ready to be ridden.

Bob has ten rides and is ready to go do Intro A and Intro B this week at a schooling show. Lucy has 6 months under saddle and is not.

Depends how long it takes to have an "Aha ! I love you" moment. Somewhere between 3 and 20 minutes. Plus some hacking about.

Neither really atm.

All the babies go foxhunting at some point. Also hunter shows, games, whatever's about really.

Lucy is going to take me Prelim in 2017

Not trying to keep Bob for ever.

4 years old, half-Welsh dun gelding, approx 14.1hh.

He's technically my father's but I had him for three months last spring (2011) for breaking in, and have had him again this season since spring 2012 (northern hemisphere fall) for further schooling.

Ah, I was going to write amateur, but I teach lessons and ride horses for money soooo I guess technically not? But I'm not well-known or a full-time rider or anything.

- Lives in a one-acre paddock with a nice paddock-mate 24/7. Paddock is usually rotated but he is in good condition and there is too much grass in the other paddocks so the rotation has stalled until the cows come through and graze the other paddocks out.
    - Covered most of the time - either a summer sheet (for hot days) or water-proof canvas rug (for rainy/windy days).
    - Gets to hand graze longer fresh grass for a few minutes each day, gets a little hay just to make sure he's getting enough roughage, plus a mineral/electrolyte supplement mixed in a handful of damped chaff.
    - He is not shod so just receives trims from the farrier when he does the other horses.
    - Our routine is something like: 8-9am = arrive at pony, pull from paddock, tie up, quick brush over, pick feed, saddle up. Ride for 30-60 minutes (mix of schooling in the dressage arena, schooling in the paddocks, hacking out and fitness work (long-distance trotting or small canter sets). Occasionally I still lunge him). Tie pony back up, hose off, re-cover, feed and put back in paddock.

I started him myself at 3 years old. He was the easiest horse to break ever - I was a bit naughty and did him all myself (as in, no-one else around - eek) and with no facilities but he never put a foot wrong. Didn't take him very far - just walking and trotting over the farm. He then went back to dad who occasionally rode him over his big farm but mostly he was turned out.

He is currently being schooled. I suppose I should have been more organised and had him ready for the fall events which have just started, but I was busy etc etc. He's learnt to take the contact and w/t/c on the bit, and has started lateral work. I've casually popped over a couple of jumps (logs in the paddock) but doing more jump schooling, including pole work, is definitely the next thing To Do.

Ride 4-5 days per week (I would like to do 6, pony would like it too), for 30-60 minutes.

Quite. My dressage instructor is there for at least some of most rides and is constantly giving pointers and mini-lessons. Occasionally she rides him (and I ride her big youngster - perfect swap as I am tall and she is short ).

Erm ... working (two part-time jobs). Pony Club (coaching/managing teams/exam prep etc etc). Learning to dressage judge. On a couple of committees. I try to occasionally help my lovely husband with our house renovations. That's about all I have the time and energy for .

Very non-particular; more "play it by ear". My current plan (frequently revised) is to do a few local training days (ribbon days, flat classes, unregistered dressage etc) this autumn for experience, compete in the dressage series over winter (and maybe baby show hunter classes??), then start eventing in spring (in the lowest class, Intro 65cm/2'2" - unless he's gone superbly and is schooling brilliantly over higher heights! Who knows!).

Hmm. This one has been super easy. We did have *one* crazy ride last week where he was shying hard at everything and was really hyped up. No idea why. Other than that one ride, he's been so quite you could put a kid on him. Schooling him from scratch under the watchful eye of my instructor is sooooo good for my riding. So maybe my biggest challenge has been improving my riding???

Good topic .

I'll play, even though I have a slightly different slant.

13.3 Section B Welsh gelding by Rosmel's Dressed in Scarlett out of a Gayefield mare.

Bought him as a feral coming five year old last April

Ammie!

24/7 turn out with one of our Argentine Polo mares

Started as soon as he came onto the property with the basics, like being halter broken, walking on a lead, long lining - basically a crash course on how to be a properly mannered equine

Learning his craft. I have been so fortunate to have outstanding instruction here, and although I have done the work myself, it has been under the supervision of one of the most intuitive horsemen I have known. Feral Fred, otherwise known as Friendly Fred, Funny Fred, Fancy Fred and Fabulous Fred is destined to be a CDE pony. He had about six months of ground work, with lots of breaks and was successfully put to in November. Right now we are developing a consistent work schedule of about three days of driving a week and one day of some sort of ground work.

Depends on the day, but about 30-45 minutes per session. Shorter if the goal is accomplished quickly. Try very hard not to over drill!

I work right now with a USDF gold medalist for the dressage work - right now just an occasional school, and a very well respected carriage trainer, again at the moment just to check in to see if we are on the right track and to offer suggestions on the next step.

I groom for my husband, a novice level eventer and A grade polocrosse player, and I am an owner of an upper level eventer who has just started a new partnership with a very exciting young man!

In no hurry to push this talented boy, but . . . go big or go home! Advanced and possibly international level competition.

Not pushing too hard too fast. This pony is a ten mover with a great brain who needs the nurturing to produce the heart my current CDE pony has,

[B]What is your horse's age and breeding (plus other pertinent info, such as sex, height, etc)? 6 year old gelding turning 7 this May. An accidentally giant canadian warmblood who sticks 17.2 barefoot on concrete.

How long have you owned your horse? Bought him sight unseen December 2011. Knew he was going to be awesome based on video, pedigree and the PPE vet telling me he was very polite. Was thrilled when he walked off the trailer looking better than I ever dreamed of!!

Do you consider yourself an amateur or professional? Amateur, very much so!

What is your horse's stable management routine (living conditions and general care requirements)? Boarded out at a lovely and horse friendly facility managed by an UL rider. Turnout from 8 until 3 in a big grassy pasture with friends unless the weather is icy. Great food and lots of love keep him happy.

How did you start your horse and at what age? He came at 5 1/2 with 30 days on him. Took things slow the first couple of months and let him settle into a routine. He had grown up on the prairies in big pastures so wanted to make sure he got used to and enjoyed the "stalled" life before we got down to business.

What is your horse currently doing and/or what level is it competing? He did a couple beginner novice events last summer, aiming to do the same this year as I just took over his ride from my BF. We switched horses - he is now riding my mare. Recently did a jumper schooling show and our best round was 2'9" in what I call 'hunter styles'. Proud of him for keeping it together in the warm up ring (lots of horses!) but we need more off property experience/schooling opportunities.

We are very fortunate to have a lovely unrecognized event circuit in our area. About 6 different barns within an hour's drive offer events and combined training opportunities. We will play in those until we're ready to move to a recognized show.

How often do you ride/school and for how long? I try to ride 5 days a week. Sometimes life gets in the way. We jump in a lesson once a week and we try to make sure to get out for a hack (weather permitting) at least once a week. Once my dressage coach is back (in FL currently), I'm hoping to adjust the schedule to include a biweekly dressage lesson. My schooling rides tend to be 30 to 40 minutes. I am very *very* fortunate to have access to wonderful instruction. Our resident dressage coach has her gold medal; my eventing coach is on the national riders list. Most importantly, they are kind and lovely people who still absolutely adore horses and have the patience to deal with amateurs.

How involved in a trainer/instructor with both schooling and competition? Very involved. She knows what she is doing.. I'm still learning. She tells us what we need to work on, which shows we will got to (as a barn with everyone else) and gives us homework for our schooling rides.

What extracurricular horse activities do you pursue (activities aside from your main pursuits)? We do occasionally venture off property independently for the odd local clinic here and there.

How particular are your goals? For example, do you want to reach x level by x age? I keep general milestones in mind but do not tie myself to goals. He is a talented jumper and I'm hoping to get SJ to the 3' - 3'3" level this summer. Since I've never ridden him cross country we will have to see how it goes. I would be thrilled to finish the season with a pre-training event and a happy, healthy horse.

Name the biggest challenge you've faced bringing up a "baby"? He has been easy, easy, easy. I have no doubt many would call him a pro ride due to his size. The biggest challenge initially was his canter. Huge canter. Especially when he was a baby without as many muscles it was really hard for him to organize his legs and deal with the rider at the same time. He can also really crack his back over a jump so staying on for the human can be a challenge... especially when he decides to clear a 2' crossrail with a 4' leap.

Now our (well, really my) next challenge is to try to sit that trot. There is a cost to a lovely moving horse - hard for the human to stay with them!! However, this has really developed my riding so I'm glad for the challenge.

Gelding, coming 6 Perch x TB. 16'2", black with star and stripe.

How long have you owned your horse? Since he was coming 2, unhandled ever.

Do you consider yourself an amateur or professional? Amateur.

Out 24/7 with access to a stall - lives with a 3 y.o. and next field are 3 geldings.

I start all of them lightly lunging and ground driving. Backed in the fall of his 2 y.o. year, back out for trail riding as a 3 y.o. 4 started lessons occasionally, and did some x/c schooling and event derbies.

Novice. Would like to move to training when ready, and that's as high as I ever want to go.

This winter excluded, 3 to 4 times per week. In the ring 30 to 40 min, on the trail 1 to 2 hours, mostly w/t on the trails.

Try for 1 lesson per week. We've had 6 weeks off due to 'circumstances', just rode yesterday - he was great.

Would LOVE to foxhunt again, but nothing near us. Trail riding, horse camping a couple of times during the summer.

Not particular, just happy to be riding. Have 3 more babies coming on, so lots to do.

In the recent years, mine have all been young, unhandled horses, so all have at least 1 big challenge to break through, then usually they come along quickly. Being sensitive to their maturity level is important. That's why I love to ride out a lot - it's great for their brains...

Okay so we own two horses with whom we know their full history, although neither of them were bred by us, so here goes, oh and we also have a coming 2yr old filly

Skippy: 11yo, 16.3hh, connemara tb gelding
    Skyline (Pony): 5yo, 15.3hh, argentine bred gelding
    Costa: 2yo, connemara tb filly

Skippy, 6 years now
    Pony, technically almost 6 months but I have known/ridden him since last June and he was only imported 2-3 months ago
    Costa: 6 months

An ammy but USEA/USEF thinks I'm pro since I'm a working student and such

Skip is at our wonderful barn in NH, stalled all night and turned out during the day whenever weather permits. Very good care, pastures are on the side of a hill. Turned out in the indoor when weather is bad (or when there is too much snow to get the gates open in the pastures). Costa lives there as well.
    Pony is turned out all night with a buddy and a round bale and stalled during the day, before he was imported he was stalled almost 24/7 except for the occasional turnout in the tiny little paddocks.

Skip was started at 3 1/2, having been completely unhandled before then. I can't speak for how he was started though.
    Pony was also started at 3 1/2, also feral. He learned to go on the hotwalker, learned to lunge with tack, and then they threw someone on and got him really started, all in the course of a month or two and within weeks he was learning how to jump.
    Costa will be the most handled of our horses, as she already knows the basics of lunging (the cues, we never actually lunge her), she ponies out with Skip and has all her ground manners. She will be gradually introduced to tack and long lining and will probably be sat on next fall, we will take it slow with her though

Skip has gone prelim once and is a training packer, unfortunately he has battled soundness issues for the past several months so he is being brought back slowly.
    Pony did his first BN last week. Before coming to the US he had been a 1.10m jumper

Skip is doing lots of hacking and dressage and a little bit of gymnastic work as he comes back, not super long rides or anything
    Pony is ridden 6 days a week (weather permitting, which it usually doesn't), hacking out, dressage, a bit of jumping, and lots of trot/canter sets, most rides are ~30min, some are longer

Skip isn't getting much instruction with mom since they haven't been doing much, during the regular season it is usually a lesson a week.
    I live with my trainer so I get several lessons a week on a good week and she seems him go more than that. She also comes to all my shows since she is my transportation to and from them :P

Well since we event, all our horses have to be good trail horses and be good at all phases but beyond that, they don't do much else as there is already a pretty good variety

For Skip, mom just wants to go prelim if he stays sound, but nothing too ambitious
    Pony, we are hoping will be going training by the end of the season (just need to get his confidence up and polish up my ability to ride him), we are shooting for the novice 3day in may. If things go well there is a chance of making a prelim before I go back to school but we aren't going to rush him if he isn't ready
    Costa... well we shall see. No plans for her yet

Not sure, I think mom is struggling to find time for her two, with my guy I just have to keep reminding myself that he really is still quite green since most of the time you can't tell

and pictures!
    Skippy and I at our first prelim
    Mom and Skippy doing training
    And another one of mom and Skip

Pony in argentina this past fall
    His first night (he started out inside while he adjusted to turnout and such)
    His first XC school
    His first event!

Costa before we got her
    At her new home

Age and breeding:
    1. 10 yo, 15.3H OTTB gelding by Running Stag
    2. 8 yo, 14H Welsh/GRP gelding by Makuba

How long have you owned your horse:
    1. A little over 3 years
    2. about 4 months

Do you consider yourself and Am or Pro:
    Technically, I'm a pro. I consider myself an Am.

Stable management routine:
    Both boys live outside 90% of the time. They spend nights inside when it's below 0. They are both fatties that get minimal grain and grass mix hay. They are both barefoot.

How did you start your horse and what age:
    I didn't technically start either...

What is your horse currently doing, what level:

1. OTTB Westley is ready to go novice. He's done a few novice schooling shows successfully. If I had more money we could probably go training by fall....
    2. GRP Picasso is ready for BN. He's schooled XC a couple times and has been working on his dressage all winter. Hopefully he'll go novice this year.

How often do you ride/school and for how long:
    Both boys get ridden about 3-4 days a week when the weather is good. (which hasn't happened in a while...) I tend to jump minimally and focus on dressage and hacking on trails/in fields. Each ride is about 30 minutes unless I have someone to trailride with, then it may be an hour or hour and a half.

How involved is your trainer:
    At the moment I only get a lesson about once every 3 months. However, I've been working with the same trainer for 10 years and I get a lot out of one lesson. In the near future I'd like to be able to lesson once a month on one or both horses. I consult trainer for when/where to move up, etc. But ultimately we both know that I'm not green and me and my wallet have the final call on those decisions.

Extracurriculars:
    Ummm....?
    1. I've considered doing some jumper lessons/shows with the OTTB Westley... but time and money haven't allowed for that yet. I did a bareback puissance in Nov with him and it was a BLAST!!
    2. The GRP Picasso is not owned by me. My mom and BO/friend own him. So he is a lesson pony for my mom, BO, my niece, BO's niece... I'm also hoping to make him a nice little dressage pony and maybe see how far we get in that arena.

How particular are your goals:
    1. OTTB's goals fluctuate with my whims... one day I'm wanting to go prelim again and to a one star... today, I'd be happy with a good steady training level horse that maybe schools prelim in clinics... who knows.
    2. GRP Picasso is a little different... I'd like to be doing novice by next season and showing him at 1st level dressage. Though, I won't be heartbroken if it takes longer.

Biggest challenge with bringing up Baby:
    1. OTTB Westley has been a rollercoaster! Year one he was 200lbs under weight, wormy, lethargic, etc. Spent a lot of time working on that and hacking around. Year two he had weight and decided to throw it around and he reared a lot. So we spend 6 months hacking and doing "dressage" in a field. Year three he's finally decided he likes me. He still bucks sometimes, but just for fun/sillies. He's ALWAYS jumped everything in front if him.
    2. GRP Picasso has been pretty easy. So far my biggest challenge has been getting his weight down to a reasonable number.

There are some pictures in my blog (check my sig line)
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Kellys- I have a half Rosmel's Notorious baby as well! He just hit 2.5 and is cute as can be! I love all of his babies that I have met so far.
    Wiley picture

What is your horse's age and breeding (plus other pertinent info, such as sex, height, etc)? Wiley Welgian is a welsh (rosmel's notorious) belgian gelding. Basically looks just like a welsh cob. He is currently 15hh and a tank!

2.5 years

amateur

Lives out all the time, gets fat by looking at food! Only on a balancer at this point.

He will be starting within the next few months very slowly

He currently is managing to eat and nap...He works on ground work 3 times a week..working up to ground driving currently

3 times a week (roughly) and as long as his little attention span will go (not very long)

will be involved more when he is started under saddle

Would love him to enjoy foxhunting and trail riding

focusing mainly on dressage with him eventually, not sure yet!
    I think the biggest challenge with him was reminding myself he is not a cute fuzzy pet, but a horse that needs consistency and manners established. It is hard when they are so little and silly!

What is your horse's age and breeding (plus other pertinent info, such as sex, height, etc)? Danny is a not yet 2 year old gelding. Half Appy half Irish Sport Horse. It's a little ways back but he's got "King of Diamonds" in there!!! At 1.5 years he was 15.2, so I'm hoping he'll be between 16.2 and 17 hands.

How long have you owned your horse? I got pictures of him hours after his birth, met him at 10 days old, bought him at 10 days old, brought him home at 4 months and have had him since.

Do you consider yourself an amateur or professional? Amateur

What is your horse's stable management routine (living conditions and general care requirements)? He's out 24/7 with the 30 year old mare and Fleck, 15 year old gelding. Fed twice a day.. and like purp... when I get up and when I feel like it. Usually around 9 am and then depending on work... 4:30 to 8:30 for dinner.

How did you start your horse and at what age? I've sat on him twice!!! But it was just a quick slide on, good boy, slide off. I plan to get on him this summer at 2 for just a bit and then back on again at 3.

What is your horse currently doing and/or what level is it competing? He is currently being a baby. BUT.. he's also extremely bored so.. he has been ponied extensively, has gone swimming, has "Schooled" banks, ditches, water and logs in hand, has trailered extensively, learned how to lunge, is learning how to long line, and has worn the saddle and the bridle. He did two FEH shows.. both with me. He was a little wild We plan to do it again this year.

How often do you ride/school and for how long? His routine varies with the weather and my work and riding schedule. He never gets messed with for more than an hour at a time. Some weeks it's 4 days a week, other times he goes a few weeks without really "doing" anything.

How involved in a trainer/instructor with both schooling and competition? I have done "lessons" with him and will continue to get long lining lessons. I plan to start him myself with help, but would really like to do most of his training. But I also want him to be a good horse, so I'm having to remind myself of that and encourage myself to send him off at some point.

What extracurricular horse activities do you pursue (activities aside from your main pursuits)? Who has the time!!? Ha! I'm an emergency vet so I work nights... a week on and then I get a whole week off. During my week off I ride, occasionally try to motivate myself to run, and occasionally go shooting.

How particular are your goals? For example, do you want to reach x level by x age? No particular goals.. I'd love to get him to prelim happily and comfortably. But no rush to get there. I"d like to foxhunt him, trail ride him, event him, dressage him, and.. .just have fun! I do plan to do the FEH shows this year and next, but will decide at the time whether or not to do the YEH stuff.

Name the biggest challenge you've faced bringing up a "baby"? So far.... trying to remember to treat him like a big horse and not "baby" him and let him get away with "cute" behaviors that won't be so cute later in life. And I'm still struggling with letting him go away. I'll miss him... and I am very protective of my horses in the selfish sense. I don't want anyone else to train him. I want to do it. He's mine!! But I know it will make him a better horse, so... I"m struggling with that.

But I have to say... I LOVE LOVE LOVE having a baby!!! It helps that i've got Fleck too so it's not like I have nothing else to ride. But he's so fun!!! I cannot wait until he's old enough to ride!!! Plus he's freakin' gorgeous! And he's got a great attitude... He loves galloping up and down my creek bank and jumps my electric fence for fun. I think he's going to make a great eventer!

Oh my... I can't believe I forgot photos!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0570966&type=3

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugsbw View Post
    Kellys- I have a half Rosmel's Notorious baby as well! He just hit 2.5 and is cute as can be! I love all of his babies that I have met so far.
    Wiley picture
    OMG! He is so cute! Love the Notorious babies! I especially love the mane--Rally sported the roached look quite a bit last year. He has a crazy pony mane otherwise! I'm trying to keep it pulled now...

Pegasmom...thanks for your take! Aaron and I also drive...and we've got a similar young one to yours! Got him as a "feral" 4-year-old and we're really just taking our time with him because he's got that special "it" factor that the CDE ponies need. I was bugging Aaron to put him to the sleigh this past weekend and Aaron just said there was no need to rush anything. Patience is such an important factor when bringing the young ones along!

Fun thread! I really enjoyed everyone's responses!

16h TB G, turning 4 end of April

Almost one month

Amateur. I make my living in the office

Boarding stable, 7 hr turnout.

Haven't restarted him yet, still working on "I touch you, and you don't kick me" LOL. Planning to start lunging him next week.

Eating. Getting good ground manners. Walking over weird stuff on the lead.

N/A yet, will start lunging 5-10 mins.

I actually board with my trainer, and I will start taking lessons with him once he gets futher along.

Not particular at all. "Goal" and "horse" should not be in the same sentence IMO. However, I think he will be reading for his first BN at the end of June (based on past experiences) And will start to road with the Hunt in May, go to some CTs.

Taming my now old man who I bought as a 9 yr old stallion OT. Teaching him to be somewhat rideable instead of reactive. Still a work in progress 20 years later

I'll play, though my baby isn't under saddle yet! And like delta, I'm also hoping to breed my mare this year for a future baby.

2.5yo Oldenburg gelding, by Ironman out of La Sirenita (TB). He's currently guess-timated to be around 15.2, maybe 15.3? I don't own a stick, unfortunately, and don't keep a close eye on whether or not he's grown!

Since December

I fall into the "amateur professional" category - I teach a few lessons and take the odd horse in training, but it's not my full time job. And I have to declare myself as a pro with USEF.

Everybody lives out 24/7 - the little guy has been adopted by my current competition horse and they spend a lot of time hanging out under The Tree together.

He's not started yet - he's worn a saddle and bridle once, but he's still on the immature side and I'm in no hurry. I expect to back him sometime this summer and will put a light 30 days on him late in the season if he's matured enough.

Currently? Hanging out in the pasture, going for the occasional field trip or hand walk and just plain growing. Other horse should be competing at his first BN in May.

The baby? oh, he gets worked with once or twice a week. My competition horse gets ridden 2-4 days a week at this point, as weather allows, for 45-60 minutes.

Less than I should be. There are few local-to-me trainers that I'd like to work with.

Dressage, trail riding, just plain dinking around and having a good time. We go to the beach, conquer the Mounted Posse "de-spooking" course with gusto, navigate the Mountain Trail course, and even chase cows once in a while.

With my currently going horse, I'd like to get him to Prelim before he retires. With the baby, I don't have any particular goals or timelines to adhere to. Everything is "someday" - I HOPE, if he's got the talent, to get him to Intermediate, someday, whether that someday is in 5 years or 15.

No challenges, so far. The biggest hiccup we've had is his lack of familiarity with velcro - which I discovered AFTER putting a cooler on him with velcro closures, when I went to remove it. Nearly new velcro is quite loud, and he hopped and skittered away every time he heard that crackle.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson