The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hmm, I have a brunch date every weekend with someone...he is JUST a friend. He is TALL, Korean, not terribly muscular (but hikes, so is fit enough; just not gym fit). Perhaps I should introduce you

LexiInVa, I thought stallion owners got slapped for this by the Mods on the Breeding Forum! trolling for mares ....

6 members found this post helpful.

it posted twice

Ideal match.....one of my friends. Who fit my list before I met him, but we are just friends. Missed out on that one!

It's funny, I have a definitely 'type' that I really go for, but almost never end up dating. My type is:
    -Taller than me, preferably 4-5 inches more
    -Dark hair
    -Blue or green eyes
    -Slightly husky
    -Mechanical/handy/farmer type

Annnnd I'm currently seeing a slightly tubby bald man that is 2 inches shorter than me On the plus side, he's a farmer and he's a helluva guy
    Quarry Rat

OTV, ask him out! That's how I found my perfect match. I saw him in a crowd of 1,000 people. He was standing with a group of guys. I watched him talk with his friends for a bit and I thought he looked like somebody I'd like to have a beer with. I walked up to him and started talking about the weather and our conversation was like we knew each other for years. In May we will be married 19 years. Until you ask, the answer is always 'no'. Ask him out OTV!

Requirements: At least as tall as me. I'm 6'3", so that narrows the field appreciably.
    Super smart. Quirky engineers welcome.
    Kind (though he may overachieve in this area. Sometimes he trips himself up trying not to offend anyone, which is not possible of course!)
    Handy - New lights in the cross tie area for Valentine's Day. I am humbled.
    Tennis player build
    Likes animals. This was not innate, as he grew up in a house with no dogs in the house and never rode a horse until he met me at 26. While we were dating it became obvious that he had potential in that area, so don't discount the currently petless. Now he fox hunts and is wrapped around the paw of our dog.

So all I'm saying in this probably annoying ode to DH is that if you see what you want, step up and give it a whirl. If I were shorter and unmarried, I would somehow take a vacation to VA to meet Lex. Serious brain. Like.

I wish I could!! There's work reasons stopping me from asking him (and him me...). A crummy situation but I can't see a way around it.

My secret life plan to be whisked away by LexInVA just got crushed. 5'2? Really? *sigh*

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, it's the perfect height for dancing, snuggling, cuddling, etc., because I'm 5'8. It's not mandatory but if you're 6'3, you're probably not gonna be interested in me anyway.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

If I knew my ideal match, I probably wouldn't be single

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Well, it's the perfect height for dancing, snuggling, cuddling, etc., because I'm 5'8. It's not mandatory but if you're 6'3, you're probably not gonna be interested in me anyway.

The last 4 guys I've dated have all been my height (5'6'' +) or slightly shorter. I personally like(d?) being able to kiss them whenever I want without requiring them to lean down, FWIW. Besides, there's something kind of sexy about a guy who's secure enough to not care if a woman is taller than he is.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

#1a. Must have some aspect of his life that impresses me. Be it work or hobby or smarts...whatever. If I'm not impressed with him then he's lost my attention.

#1b. Smarts. He must be able to out smart me on occasion. And I LOVE a man who can put me in my place. I had a bf who used to yell "WOMAN!!" at me. I LOVED that.

#2. In a fairy tale world I would love a guy who is 6'3" exactly. But in reality, taller than 5'8" is fine. I don't care about height. I'm 6 feet tall--tall guys are hard to find. I'll take a shorter fella as long as it doesn't cause some major emotional conflict with him. But it always does. So that's that.

#3. Physically fit. Meaning he must have bigger muscles than me. That's actually harder to find than it sounds.

#1a is the deal breaker just about...ALWAYS. I have yet to find a guy who can keep my attention. They all end up...lame.
    My last bf was a cop. I thought that was cool! Until I realized that rookie cops might just be the most annoying people on the planet. And he would do stuff like, for instance, pick up my hay string knife and throw it at my custom wooden tack trunk and then comment on how awesomely sharp it was. And when I would not respond he would throw the knife again and comment louder.
    No, really, I'm telling the truth. This was a 30 year old man. ???? How do I find such idiots???

Joey from friends put it perfectly. Wanted: Non ugly, Non stupid.

Basically I need a successful, vein, tall man who can redneck it when needed.
    Impossible? I believe so.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Kristen, you need to get out of Azle
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    [B]
    #2. In a fairy tale world I would love a guy who is 6'3" exactly. But in reality, taller than 5'8" is fine. I don't care about height. I'm 6 feet tall--tall guys are hard to find. I'll take a shorter fella as long as it doesn't cause some major emotional conflict with him. But it always does. So that's that.

Basically I need a successful, vein, tall man who can redneck it when needed.
    Impossible? I believe so
    Join the club, sista!

On #2, move to Oregon. I dated a guy a few years ago that was a solid 6'5" - and was the shorter of his two roommates, 6'6" and 6'7" respectively - and a handful of others in the 6'3-4" range, all nice looking and very redneck, Hickory-wearing, mud-loving gentlemanly sorts. I'm 5'8" and just generally long, but in that house I felt like a very small woman, which doesn't happen often. I even met one on OKCupid that was a true 7'1" - and English to boot, accent and all. He came here as a teenager for a short-lived career in basketball. I never met him in person as we had some fatal differences in beliefs, but he was quite nice to talk to if you enjoy a soft english accent.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

You're fascinating, whatever height you are. Keep rockin' it. Just think, if we shared a car, we'd constantly be adjusting the driver's seat up and back, we'd have to change stirrup leather lengths if we shared a saddle and people would always be pointing out the height difference. Duh, like we didn't notice. By dating within our height spectrum, we save ourselves a lot of grief. And of course, you mentioned the snuggle factor. ;-)

The real problem for me is that a lot of women in the DC area who are 5'0 to 5'8 all want a guy who starts out at 5'11 - many explicitly state in their dating profiles that nobody under 6'0 need apply - and the urban fashionistas all love wearing high-heels for some bizarre reason, so I'm SOL above 5'2 most of the time. Sadly, there aren't that many 5'2 women around here and it seems as if most of them are obese.

Taller than me (I'm 5'10"), highly intelligent and well-educated (graduate degree), funny, motivated, dark haired, straight teeth (I had orthodontics for a dozen years. I have a healthy appreciation for straight teeth), athletic, affectionate, highly socially capable, loves traveling, compassionate, animal lover, atheist, has a passion of his own (I have dated several guys without... never again... you need to have your own life), open-minded, liberal.

And patient. I'm a very high energy, intelligent person with ADD. At times I suspect I'm exhausting.

Miraculously, my SO is everything I was looking for. I am a lucky woman indeed.

Chemistry trumps all.
    Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1 members found this post helpful.

The real problem for me is that a lot of women in the DC area who are 5'0 to 5'8 all want a guy who starts out at 5'11 - many explicitly state in their dating profiles that nobody under 6'0 need apply - and the urban fashionistas all love wearing high-heels for some bizarre reason, so I'm SOL above 5'2 most of the time. Sadly, there aren't that many 5'2 women around here and it seems as if most of them are obese.
    Does it bother you if girls are taller that you with heels on? For some reason, I tend to date guys who are my height or slightly shorter, but I don't let it stop me from wearing heels every now and then. The really secure guys still think it's sexy.

Their loss. The more women who pass over 'shorter' guys, the better selection there is for people like me who frankly, just don't give a damn.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Frankly, I don't think it would bother me and I do find tall and athletic women to be very attractive from a physical standpoint, but I have no frame of reference to use for my personal feelings as I have not been in any sort of romantic situation with a woman who is as tall or taller than I am for the reason given above.