The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Why would things be different because of DC? DC is rather like NoVA magnified in many ways.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Exactly. The lameness and pretentiousness of NoVA is why I want to relocate to somewhere like Raleigh. I would fit in better there given the brainy population and it has a lot of the same benefits and perks that NoVA has but with greater outdoor adventures and less ass-blasting traffic. I think I have a permanent eye-rolling reflex that is subconscious now from having lived here in my 20's instead of moving away like I had originally planned.
    Lex, if you want somewhere with a brainy culture and lots of outdoor activities, move to the Seattle area. It does however, have traffic.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

Why would things be different because of DC? DC is rather like NoVA magnified in many ways.
    I would assume because of education level, exposure and world-view, the kind of insight associated with living in proximity to an international city. That is very different from living close to a regional city.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Career-focused and successful in his field -- I genuinely enjoy working and want to be with somebody who also enjoys work and is passionate about his career. Also, I want to be with somebody who contributes equally financially. I'm not looking to be a trophy wife or to be supported, but I've been the primary breadwinner in a relationship and it made nobody happy.

Busy -- either somebody who works long hours or who has a time-consuming hobby. I don't want somebody who will be sitting at home waiting grumpily for me to get home from the barn.

Curious -- I enjoy learning and like being around people who are curious about the world, enjoy a good debate, etc. I am a museums-and-books person, and education is extremely important to me.

Healthy -- as in physically-fit, mentally balanced, etc. I need to be around people who are a good influence on me in the health department.

Attractive to me -- which does not mean model, it just means attractive to me. I'm 5'4" but prefer feeling short so I tend to date fairly tall people. Also this is superficial, but I like muscles. I just do.

Alpha -- I tend to prefer men who are fairly alpha, competent, mature, usually a bit older than I am. I am totally able to take care of myself and do so just fine, but I like being with people who give me that sense of peace that comes from knowing I can take a backseat and trust that they are able to take care of me.

CANNOT BE CLINGY -- I'm an only child and an introvert. I need my space.

Compatible with me ... on things like where he wants to live long-term, how he likes to handle arguments or disagreements, lifestyle stuff, money management stuff, likes dogs, likes travel but doesn't want to jet off every weekend, etc. Should be somebody who shows/experiences love in similar ways to me -- I'm big into gifts, but time means very little to me.

Also has to be able to put up with me. That's a big one.

Oh jeez...I don't even know anymore. I've been single for so long I'm starting to think that I'm no one's type!

I'm only 5'1", so would prefer someone at least 5'6" (so I can wear heels and not be taller that them). Prefer someone with a little bit of padding, as guys with too much muscle aren't comfortable to cuddle with on the couch - BUT he must not be a slob or lazy. I work out 4-5 days a week, and while they don't need to be like that, I don't want someone who gets winded while going on a walk with the dogs. Must have something they are passionate about and preferably not be horses. Especially reining. I'm way too competitive to have a SO who does the same thing I do. Must have a job and live on his own (as in not with his parents). I'm normally attracted to guys older than me, but wouldn't throw away a guy who is younger just because of age (I'm 29). Non-smoker, as I quit back in college. I don't do cold weather at all, so if they want to live in the frozen tundra they need to find someone who enjoys looking like the kid on A Christmas Story. And educated, but don't need to be a PhD, etc. I don't speak in text speak and don't want to be talked to that way either.

Hmm...now I feel like I sound picky!
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

and I've told you before that I would love to date you if you were an option for me.
    Sometimes you just gatta make things happen.
    I have found in my 33 year lifetime that my worst memories are those of regret.
    drum roll and move the spot light to LEX!

But on a wider scale, has anyone on here ever dated someone from here?
    I have. The dating part didn't work out so well but [said person] is now one of my best friends who I love dearly.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Lex,

Why not relocate? I mean big time relocate out of your area. You seem not overly happy about it there.

Come to the country. The real country. Life is good here. You will worry about what you smell like (horse in my case), rather than what restaurant or the type of bars there are.

I have lived in L.A. and in Seattle (area), and a few other big places. I *know* what a big city is like. Things in a big city are just not what is really real out there. IOW there is more to life than a big city. I felt so lost there amongst the millions and the numbers.

Not sure what line of work you are in, but come to the country, the air is fine and so are the people. I live in a fairly high tech city area, in the SE. But it is small, and rural and nice actually. Plenty of horse scene here. Of course there are a couple few drama dressage ladies here, but there are so many other ladies here.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Lex,

Come to the country. The real country. Life is good here. You will worry about what you smell like (horse in my case), rather than what restaurant or the type of bars there are.

Not sure what line of work you are in, but come to the country, the air is fine and so are the people. I live in a fairly high tech city area, in the SE. But it is small, and rural and nice actually. Plenty of horse scene here. Of course there are a couple few drama dressage ladies here, but there are so many other ladies here.
    for reals.
    Someone earlier told me to get out of Azle.
    NO WAY. It will take a mighty fine man + lifestyle to pry me away from this farmette.

I grew up in New Jersey. Relocated to Plano TX (which is NOT country).
    So I'm not a country girl at all.
    but -Oh-My-God- it's fun out here.
    You can do what ever you want, whenever you want, and where ever you want.

My forte is driving really fast on the wrong side of the twisty back roads and chasing skunks with the golf cart. I walk on the wild side always. Sooooo much fun.

But you go east 30 minutes and there are plenty of fancy places to park. In fact my friends and I play dress up most weekends and find somewhere super to dine.
    Fondue in Ft. Worth this weekend. : )

We have the BBQ and Tex Mex covered down here.
    And you can drive a few hours in any direction and have PLENTY of outdoorsy things to do.
    We have some great rivers and lakes for hiking/canoeing/kayaking/camping.
    We have sand dunes, we have caves... anything and everything.

Supa dupa fun.
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    for reals.
    Someone earlier told me to get out of Azle.
    NO WAY. It will take a mighty fine man + lifestyle to pry me away from this farmette.

I grew up in New Jersey. Relocated to Plano TX (which is NOT country).
    So I'm not a country girl at all.
    but -Oh-My-God- it's fun out here.
    You can do what ever you want, whenever you want, and where ever you want.

My forte is driving really fast on the wrong side of the twisty back roads and chasing skunks with the golf cart. I walk on the wild side always. Sooooo much fun.

But you go east 30 minutes and there are plenty of fancy places to park. In fact my friends and I play dress up most weekends and find somewhere super to dine.
    Fondue in Ft. Worth this weekend. : )

We have the BBQ and Tex Mex covered down here.
    And you can drive a few hours in any direction and have PLENTY of outdoorsy things to do.
    We have some great rivers and lakes for hiking/canoeing/kayaking/camping.
    We have sand dunes, we have caves... anything and everything.

Supa dupa fun.
    TOLD YA SO! It is supa dupa fun! I ain't in Te-has, but yeah, FUN! OBTW Red Robin here has NASTY GREASY BURGERS! ICK. I make mine on the grill with some smoke to go with it. I add the wood chunks to make my smoke, 99.9% less grease. Everything for me is 3 minutes or 20 minutes. I-65 is 8 miles from my place, and Nashville is an hour from here on beauty pavement (I-65).

Heck some have issues with a crying baby upstairs, me I have issues with the fox squirrels tearing up my blue bird boxes to get in. But that issue is fixed with a metal plate - ha ha. I worry more about my dog rolling in the dead grass and having a "hula skirt" of dried dead grass on her and coming in the dog door literally covered in grass, instead of city folk things. I worry more about what to plant in my garden than more horse boarding, my horses live here!

Come on in, the country is FINE! thanks, purpl

I just got a new Big D purple halter btw. wink wink. It looks awesome on my black mare.

This is a good question..

I live in southern maryland and it is challenging to meet people. There is NOTHING to do. It is 90 minutes south of DC. Yes we have great boating etc but in the winter time. Nothing..but drinking and hitting the bars. Since I am not a bar person...my dog and I watch lots of movies in the winter time at night.

1. No baby mama drama. This goes along with crazy ex's.

2. Their own interests. Doesn't have to be horses but some type of passion that drives them in life. Expecting me to give up my passion just isn't going to happen. \

3. Not assumign the horse is a phase. Guess what...it isn't.

4. Good career. I have worked hard for mine and now am on the *easy* side of it. Not having to work 12 hour days most of the time...

5. Nice. I mean not the wishy washy pushover nice but the good heart and cares about others nice. There is a difference bewteen the two.

6. Respectful of other people.

7. At least 5"6. 6 feet is nice but only whenI wear heels. Otherwise I am streching my neck to much.

8. I am not a foodie. My eating is quite boring since I have many food allergies. I will try new things but if not sure..I stick to salad.

9. Not young kids. Sorry...I didn't have childern for a reason. i don't want to be raising yours.

I am working on moving to SC and getting out of this area. I have been here 11 years and am very cynical about this area. I want to move but it takes time.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    TOLD YA SO! It is supa dupa fun!
    Seriously,
    year round legal fire works and fire crackers and grilling on the patio. It's the life.

Not to mention boating is big down here too.
    I spend my summer weekends on the lake with buddies.
    I learned to wake surf last summer. soooo coool!

Seriously,
    year round legal fire works and fire crackers and grilling on the patio. It's the life.

Not to mention boating is big down here too.
    I spend my summer weekends on the lake with buddies.
    I learned to wake surf last summer. soooo coool!
    Ok I need to move there. Of course wake surfing and wake boarding would be just another way that I could injure myself.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

I have. The dating part didn't work out so well but [said person] is now one of my best friends who I love dearly.
    This reminds me... I've never dated anyone from COTH, but I did have a message exchange with a [male] poster a number of years ago that eventually led up to a phone conversation.

A conversation where, after a while of normal chatting, he proceeded to have a strictly one-sided phone ...relation... with himself, while I sat there in horrified near-silence, until he was done, and then quickly ended the phone call.

I had repressed the memory until just now.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    This reminds me... I've never dated anyone from COTH, but I did have a message exchange with a [male] poster a number of years ago that eventually led up to a phone conversation.

A conversation where, after a while of normal chatting, he proceeded to have a strictly one-sided phone ...relation... with himself, while I sat there in horrified near-silence, until he was done, and then quickly ended the phone call.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

...........Why didn't you hang up?
    Last edited by DeucesWild11; Feb. 21, 2013 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Question

What has been read cannot be unread. I feel ill.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by AppendixQHLover View Post
    I am working on moving to SC and getting out of this area.
    Word of advice AQHL - stay away from the Charleston area. Grew up there, love it, but as a female the dating scene sucks! Women outnumber straight men 5-1.

We actually had a saying "Around here you don't lose your man, you lose your turn."

And it's true. Met my DH down there and I know every one of his exes. Not that there were many, but still...once we were a thing I encouraged him to exit stage north very quickly!!
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post

FWIW, I've never done that on any of my phone conversations with board members. I bet it was HungLikeAStallion.

Hah! HLAS was my guess, too. The magnificent delusions of grandeur were entertaining, though.

Yeah, he was an asshat of the highest order. I wonder whatever happened to him. I think I remember him first being a carriage driver and then he claimed to be working in horse racing as a trainer or something.

FWIW, I've never done that on any of my phone conversations with board members. I bet it was HungLikeAStallion.
    Sadly, no. That would have made sense, but I'd never have talked to anyone with a username like that. This was probably in the neighborhood of 8 or so years ago? It was some unassuming, benign name that I want to say was first intial, last name or some such. I think the initial contact was made because he lived in the PNW, although my memory is (thankfully) foggy.

I didn't pin you as that type, Lex, but sometimes you just never know. And FWIW, it didn't take him very long to complete the job.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson