The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bumps on the front legs and dry skin issues!

I have 2 problems......

First, my 4 yr old mare has skin issues in general. She seems to have extremely dry skin all over her body, but it is really bad on her front legs, chest/wither area, as well as her neck and the sides of her face. I do not know what to do to keep her skin moisturized and not so dry and flakey.She is extremely sensitive to flys in the summer time and it seems like its all I can do with swat and fly spray plus fly masks, to keep the bites at bay. When she gets bit, the bumps get very swollen and sometimes bleed, especially the ones on her face and on her legs. I cant seem to keep her skin moisturized enough, and im out of options as what to do to keep the flys at bay and the bumps away and keep her skin moisturized!!

Second, I am in Arizona and its the middle of winter, and she has accumulated multiple bumps on the outer portion of her front legs. They are raised bumps and are the same color as her skin and they appear to be itchy, and when they are itched, they bleed. She also does not have hair around these bumps. I have thought about the possibility of them being scratches, but they are not scabby... I really don't know what they are, and if anyone has any sort of concoction to get rid of them or any idea as to what they are would be appreciated.

I would start with a call to your vet, to have her checked for allergies (environmental and food, esp). Antihistamines/ steroids, etc might give her some relief. It could also be a diet deficiency/ mineral overload (like selenium toxicity), etc.

If everything checks out medically, I've had excellent luck feeding Omega Horseshine (or any other form of flax) to improve coat condition. Cocosoya is another excellent product that seems to improve the skin/ coat. I also find that a fly sheet and fly boots are far more cost effective in keeping bugs at bay -- I like the monofilament type sheets for durability and breathability.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    I would start with a call to your vet, to have her checked for allergies (environmental and food, esp). Antihistamines/ steroids, etc might give her some relief. It could also be a diet deficiency/ mineral overload (like selenium toxicity), etc.

If everything checks out medically, I've had excellent luck feeding Omega Horseshine (or any other form of flax) to improve coat condition. Cocosoya is another excellent product that seems to improve the skin/ coat. I also find that a fly sheet and fly boots are far more cost effective in keeping bugs at bay -- I like the monofilament type sheets for durability and breathability.
    Her diet consists of an alfalfa/bermuda mix. I do not have her on any sort of supplements. She has been on this mix her entire life...(obviously not from the same field every time) but never any grain of any sort. Could this be something that was in the ground and she doesnt have a good defense against things. Her immune system isnt right?

Quote Originally Posted by barrelraceralex22 View Post
    Her diet consists of an alfalfa/bermuda mix. I do not have her on any sort of supplements. She has been on this mix her entire life...(obviously not from the same field every time) but never any grain of any sort. Could this be something that was in the ground and she doesnt have a good defense against things. Her immune system isnt right?
    If she is on nothing but hay, it's possible she has a nutritional deficiency that is contributing to the poor coat. I would definitely talk to your vet.

I'm thinking her diet needs a complete overhaul. I wonder if she is allergic to alfalfa? I think it's possible for them to develop photosensitivity issues if they are.

I'd suggest having a vet check the horse over and rule out PF.

It's weird, but lately I have run into several horses that had early PF, some diagnosed by biopsy.

http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_view.php?id=388

http://www.equishine.com/equishine/a...-foliaceus.htm

Face & legs often early onset.

Good luck.