The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 2boys View Post
    Can you just explain "front line" a little more?
    lol I am not sure I can explain it very well.... but i will try to explain how it feels.

so on my youngster, if all is well we are going along forward, relaxed, rhythmic with a soft connection - and in balance. if he *begins* to fall on his forehand, i half halt -not using hands, using my core and my "front line" with my elbows remaining at my side etc. this also includes asking him to step more actively behind - this will shift the weight backwards... on him , right now, it is just to horizontal balance, soon it will be towards real collection.

i cant explain it better than that unfortunately, but it works!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    lol I am not sure I can explain it very well.... but i will try to explain how it feels.

so on my youngster, if all is well we are going along forward, relaxed, rhythmic with a soft connection - and in balance. if he *begins* to fall on his forehand, i half halt -not using hands, using my core and my "front line" with my elbows remaining at my side etc. this also includes asking him to step more actively behind - this will shift the weight backwards... on him , right now, it is just to horizontal balance, soon it will be towards real collection.

i cant explain it better than that unfortunately, but it works!

maybe try it and see if you can get your horse to shift his weight back by using you "front line" to do so.

just think about it when you try and see what happens. remember to keep your elbows at your side and do not give your reins forward.

it is one of those things that is so clear when you do it but so hard to describe!

i think i just think "up" with my front line while remaining sitting on my seat - so i dont lift my bum off the saddle or anything i just make my front like taller and longer.

good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.