The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone else been having problems with their Smartpaks?

My last batch seems to have defective paper strips (or whatever they are). The labels are not fully printed on some of the strips (so you can't tell what is in the Smartpaks), and when you tear them off to feed them, the paper rips to shreds or across the center instead of tearing off on one clean strip.

Anyone else? It's frustrating, but since I am the only one feeding them to my horse, I can deal with it. Just hoping this won't become a continuing problem.

Where are you located?
    Our feeders told me they have a harder time with getting off the paper cleanly in the cold. I was surprised b/c usually cold means glue would be less sticky.

I know this doesn't address the printing, etc. Just a thought.

I'm in Wisconsin, so I guess it could be the cold. Although I've not had a problem in prior years.

I'm in IL. The batch I got last week is printed and tearing just fine.

My most recent patch is printed a little funky, I think it depends on the day it was printed and stuff, the machine could have been low on ink or something. As for the strips, there are times when they can be difficult, otherwise I have never had a problem with them.

yes. Last batch before current one had a way too firm glue. This batch has a printing issue.

Not a big deal for me, as I mostly feed from tubs, but the issue is there. Did you contact Smartpak about it? They have good customer service.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

I haven't mentioned it to Smartpak yet, but I probably will. I also realized it really can't be the colder weather because (a) I keep them in my house and take them to the barn with me each day, so they would never be getting very cold, and (b) I didn't have any problems with my prior batch, and those were opened on some sub-zero days.

I've been having some issues with Smartpak in general lately. Flukes/bad luck, I'm sure. I do like the company, but I'm starting to get frustrated.

Mine have been fine. Some days they do not peel off as one full sheet but I figure that is more operator error than the Smartpak itself.

I have never noticed printing issues but I do not examine them. I pull one out of each drawer (two horses) and peel it right into their feed. I know what is in the cells and what it should look like so if the label is not totally readable it would not really matter to me.