The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Has anyone tried the tube socks, made for summertime? I'll try and find the link to post it.

I'd personally love to know what I can do about the BOT FLIES.

Our neighbors on two sides have cows, lots and lots of cows. And I had to spend nearly an hour cleaning the bot fly eggs off the two horses every day.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

We use fly sheets and masks with ears.
    Legs and other exposed parts are sprayed with absorbine ultrashield.
    Pastures are kept mowed.
    Barn is completely screened in. Flys that do get into the barn are caught on sticky tape. Horses are parked in front of high powered industrial fans during the hottest parts of the day.
    Horses are cold hosed on hot days when brought in. It soothes any bites, cleans off the fly spray and makes them feel good.
    Outside we use flypreditors near the compost pile and big stinky fly traps.
    Compost pile is managed and spread at least 2 times a year.

Can anyone recommend a good set of fly boots? I bought some Cashel ones last year and they were trashed within a couple of weeks. They kept sliding down and then the Velcro straps ripped off!

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good set of fly boots? I bought some Cashel ones last year and they were trashed within a couple of weeks. They kept sliding down and then the Velcro straps ripped off!
    Kensingtons! Like I said, my guy lives in his for most of the year. They have never slid down or rubbed, although I do take them off every day to shake them out, brush his legs, etc. And they are super cute (I have the ice blue plaid).

[QUOTE=Larry Garner;6829701]
    Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Just a tip for fly predators, fly eliminators are the same thing and are cheaper and if you order before march you get 10percent off. I used them last year and worked well

Spalding Fly Predators and Fly Eliminators are not the same thing at all. They are both parasitoids but they are very different species. The comparison is like saying a miniature horse and a draft horse are the same since they are both horses.

Spalding uses an optimized mix of up to 3 different species; Muscidifurax raptorellus, Spalangia cameroni or Spalangia endius and Muscidifurax zaraptor. Dozens of studies over 40+ years have shown good efficacy for all kinds of animals, large and small, of the species in the genuses that you get with Fly Predators.

Fly Eliminators uses a mix that is 90% Nasonia. Today there is scant scientific support showing Nasonia is effective for large animals like horses.

Spalding guarantees a quantity of live Fly Predators by count such as 5000 or 10,000 etc. Fly Eliminators are sold as a "unit" ?
    Okay Mr. Garner, I just ordered Fly Predators this year. I have used Arbico for the last few years and have been very happy with them. I am going to be really upset if your product does not work as well!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Absorbine supershield green! I bought the el chepo fly spray spilled it on my self and it burned! No flippin way i would put it on a horse!
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Take away food - It only takes 24 hours for a hatch to take place so remove/spread manure every day & keep flysheet over manure containers. Keep aisle ways clean of small pieces of manure, feed, etc. Adding oils and molasses to feed will increase flies around mangers, so clean them after feedings.

Kill the adults - Traps are ugly but they do kill adults. Fly predators do work if you have grass for them to hide in. Wasps kill flies, so if you have a nest that isn't near horses or people, let them be your friend. (Can't say the same for spiders)

Protect horses - Keep horses clean and sprayed.

Nothing new but as always, lots of work and a labor of love.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    An excellent reminder to start feeding Solitude, because spring is coming!
    I started Solitude last year and did not notice it helped much. I started it late, mid summer. I am debating on buying more and giving it a full summer to see if there is a difference. Are you happy with it deltawave?

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    We use fly sheets and masks with ears.
    Legs and other exposed parts are sprayed with absorbine ultrashield.
    Pastures are kept mowed.
    Barn is completely screened in. Flys that do get into the barn are caught on sticky tape. Horses are parked in front of high powered industrial fans during the hottest parts of the day.
    Horses are cold hosed on hot days when brought in. It soothes any bites, cleans off the fly spray and makes them feel good.
    Outside we use flypreditors near the compost pile and big stinky fly traps.
    Compost pile is managed and spread at least 2 times a year.
    Same here for the most part. Barn isn't screened in & our fans aren't industrial strength. Some of them have fly sheets; all of them have masks.

FWIW - we noticed a big, big difference once we started using the fly predators. If we could keep a small flock of guinea hens I might consider that, too. Last year we had horrible, crop-duster sized horse flies...don't know if I hate them or the deer flies worse...