The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Fly Season is coming - can we use this thread to post tips, deals, fav. products etc?

I thought it would be nice if we could all post our questions, advice product deals, etc. all in one thread. I'll start:

I love Zonk It Fly spray. Its cheap, smells great,and works pretty well. I make it last a bit longer by adding Apple Cider Vinegar to it.

If the flies are really bad, i will also add a cup of ACV to their feed,which really seems to help.

The other thing that helps, is that i get my son to use the riding lawn mower to grind up the poop in the pastures, plus keeping the grass short, helps keeps the weeds at bay.

I haven't used a fly sheet in years, but my Diva girl is pretty sensitive, so I'd love to hear what everyone's favorite fly sheet is.

what does everyone do to help cut down on the stomping?

Next.....

I usually don't use fly sheets because it gets too hot here but my horses live in fly masks and boots (stops the stamping) in the summer.

When riding I will sometimes tie pieces of a dryer sheet to my bridle. Seems to help a little.

I'll switch my fly sprays around. Don't want those buggers (no pun intended) to build up a resistance.

When I had stalled horses I use fans. My horses these days are out 24/7 so I don't bother. And Since I'm not showing I let their manes grow.

I keep my manure pile away from the barn and my run-in stalls are cleaned twice a day.

I use fly predators with mixed results. Some years they work great, others, not so much.

I keep puddles and water traps down as much as possible. Not just for mosquitoes but some flies are attracted to water also.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

Just a tip for fly predators, fly eliminators are the same thing and are cheaper and if you order before march you get 10percent off. I used them last year and worked well

Yet the best thing I've ever used is freedom 45 spots. I live in the south where flies and knats and Mosquitos are horrible. I started the spots and after second treatment I never had to use fly spray again all summer. This brand worked amazing and I will use it from here on out. No ticks either! Not a one once i started the freedom 45. Best stuff ever
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

An excellent reminder to start feeding Solitude, because spring is coming!

My regimen:

Solitude starting in mid-February and continued through late October.

Fastidious manure management, including composting and keeping the pile covered. (need to get a better cover this year)

Horse Pal horsefly traps

Sticky traps strategically placed at knee level (just outside fences, near patches of tall grass, in the entrance of the barn) for stable flies.

Stinky bait/poison traps for house flies, hung at face level well away from curious horses' reach.

Fly predators

Fly masks for black fly season

DEET or picaridin sprays for when necessary. I find most sprays useless for more than about 10 minutes so they only get put on before rides during buggy spells or if the farrier wants it on.

Grit my teeth during the days that follow heavy winds and thunderstorms since flies flare up then no matter what I do.

Add cedar shavings to the horse porch to repel flies. (works OK but pricey)

But here is my BEST piece of advice. KNOW WHAT KINDS OF FLIES YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH. They all have different characteristics and preferences! I can't link this .pdf file directly from my iPad, but Google this--it's an EXCELLENT resource.

The Fly Management Handbook
    A Guide to Biology, Dispersal, and Management of the House Fly and Related Flies for Farmers, Municipalities, and Public Health Officials by Kirby C. Stafford, Ph. D.
    ETA: here is the direct link

http://www.ct.gov/caes/lib/caes/docu...tins/b1013.pdf
    Last edited by deltawave; Feb. 10, 2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Click here before you buy.

Fly Predators are awesome. They make a huge difference IMO.

I also use a combo of Repel X concentrate which smells great and lasts forever. I add skin so soft to it to make their coats soft as well.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I am a big believer in fly wraps/boots to protect legs and prevent stomping which is hard on feet and legs, and Repel-X Lotion. That stuff is awesome for ears and bellies and any place that biting flies congregate, and it lasts for at least a couple of days. I don't endorse many products, but I love that one!
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

My favorite "fly spray" is just cedar tree oil and water mixed together. I buy 1 quart from cedarcide and it makes up to 100 gallons. I use it on my horses (3) and my dogs (5) and it lasts me over a year. In the spring, I actually bath the dogs in it the first time I use it and then just spray every other month or so. It keeps fleas and ticks completely at bay. For the horses, the first time I use it I bathe them, then when they are almost dry, soak them in the spray and let it dry. After that I just use it once a week or so. It smells amazing, is all natural, and not toxic to humans/animals.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

[QUOTE=rabicon;6829434]Just a tip for fly predators, fly eliminators are the same thing and are cheaper and if you order before march you get 10percent off. I used them last year and worked well

Spalding Fly Predators and Fly Eliminators are not the same thing at all. They are both parasitoids but they are very different species. The comparison is like saying a miniature horse and a draft horse are the same since they are both horses.

Spalding uses an optimized mix of up to 3 different species; Muscidifurax raptorellus, Spalangia cameroni or Spalangia endius and Muscidifurax zaraptor. Dozens of studies over 40+ years have shown good efficacy for all kinds of animals, large and small, of the species in the genuses that you get with Fly Predators.

Fly Eliminators uses a mix that is 90% Nasonia. Today there is scant scientific support showing Nasonia is effective for large animals like horses.

Spalding guarantees a quantity of live Fly Predators by count such as 5000 or 10,000 etc. Fly Eliminators are sold as a "unit" ?
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

Is it practical to have a horse who lives out 24/7 wear fly boots? I think my horse would really appreciate them - he haaaates flies buzzing around his legs - but I'm wondering how how they fare being on all the time? I would of course clean them frequently.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Default Fly Boots Question....

oops! Double post.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I've had no luck with fly boots staying "up" and staying clean when left on for more than about half a day. Haven't pulled mine out in ages. Stable flies are the ones that bite ankles--sticky traps work great for those, and a thick bed of cedar bedding in the area where horses stand. They also don't care for shade, so one of the projects on my list this spring is to hang shade fabric on the horse porch.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Is it practical to have a horse who lives out 24/7 wear fly boots? I think my horse would really appreciate them - he haaaates flies buzzing around his legs - but I'm wondering how how they fare being on all the time? I would of course clean them frequently.
    I've had no problems with horses out 24/7. You need to remove and re-apply each day. Generally those with plastic stays work the best, and I prefer those with elastic straps as well. The Original Fly Wraps are pretty good, although the elastic wears out pretty quickly. Cashel are also very good, but their straps rip off easily in my experience. I had some Schneider's ones that looked great initially (didn't have plastic stays, just stiff nylon binding up the back), but the stitching absolutely came apart after a couple of days. I tried the Rambo ones last year and had real problems with rubbing, and them not staying up well.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

We moved to our own property last fall & I'm having issues with the small flies that like to bite & leave sores on their bellies and bot flies. Any suggestions?

It's February and the flies are still brutal here in Miami--my guy is STILL in his fly mask and boots 24/7, and right now he is even wearing his fly sheet. Even on nights when it is so cold he needs his turnout sheet on (sometimes even with a fleece liner underneath), I still leave his mask/boots on because I know during the day the flies will be bad.

My guy has a stall with attached paddock but he is out probably 90-95% of the time--he comes in to eat and drink and that is pretty much it. I've never had a problem with his fly boots staying up/on or causing rubs. I do take them off to brush them & his legs every day, though. They're Kensingtons, as are two of his masks. I go through a set of fly boots about once a year or so because they do wear out eventually. I also have a Schneider's Mosquito Mesh belly band fly sheet that I love (I did cut the lining out of the chest/shoulders, though, b/c it was too hot), as well as a very heavy Flex Rider Intec fly sheet and a Saxon fly sheet that I rotate, plus a Schneider's Mosquito Mesh mask that matches the sheet and is very nice.

Tonight, I left him in the Schneider's fly sheet & mask (with ears) and his Kensington fly boots. This summer is going to be hell for the poor guy He does have a fan in his stall that he can stand by, and I will give the cedar shavings another go (I tried last year w/no real success--??) and maybe sprinkle some diatomaceous earth in his stall & see if that helps. Once the Mosquitos come out on full force he will be wearing his neck cover & soaked in fly spray...and still miserable. Poor sensitive little TB guy--wish I could take him home to the air-condoned house!

*Sigh* that should read "air-conditioned" not "air-condoned"; tried to edit, but I'm on my phone. D@mn technology!

Frizzle, try flax seed on you horse. It helps sensitive skinned horses with their fly allergy reactions. It has really helped my mare be a little less sensitive to fly bites. They have studied it a lot as it relates to "sweet itch" and gnats. The bounus is that even if it does not help with the sensitivity, it will leave your horse with a great coat and it is cheap!

Fly Predators all the way! Add a green head trap and the only annoying things that are left are gnats and mosquitoes.

Fans in stalls and outside shelter helps with the bugs that the predators and green head trap do not get.
    When I ride I usually use deep woods off.

4 horses on 8 acres

~we have been using fly predators since 2006. Our place is in really good shape.

Our neighbor has a huge facility and an even larger muck pile. It's huge and gross. Yet our place stays in good shape.

~I spread all the poo. I'm a crazy poo picker upper. I even pick our 2.5 acre field and spread. I don't leave any muck buckets sitting for more than 2 days.

~I also hang those fly traps. Full muck buckets sit under the tree where the traps hang. ya know, the jugs with that gross smelling stuff in them? They fill FAST. It's gross. I hate them but they work!

~Other than that, I spray the kids with Repel-X and skin so soft.

***knock on wood...all of my friend had issues with dryland distemper last year and I didn't. I'm the only one who spreads my poo and I have far less flies than anyone I know...even with the neighbor issue.

Predators
    Fly traps
    Spreading poo

I think those are my secrets.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I've had no problems with horses out 24/7. You need to remove and re-apply each day. Generally those with plastic stays work the best, and I prefer those with elastic straps as well. The Original Fly Wraps are pretty good, although the elastic wears out pretty quickly. Cashel are also very good, but their straps rip off easily in my experience. I had some Schneider's ones that looked great initially (didn't have plastic stays, just stiff nylon binding up the back), but the stitching absolutely came apart after a couple of days. I tried the Rambo ones last year and had real problems with rubbing, and them not staying up well.
    Thanks!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    Frizzle, try flax seed on you horse. It helps sensitive skinned horses with their fly allergy reactions. It has really helped my mare be a little less sensitive to fly bites. They have studied it a lot as it relates to "sweet itch" and gnats. The bounus is that even if it does not help with the sensitivity, it will leave your horse with a great coat and it is cheap!
    My horse is already on flax, has been for years. Great stuff. He's also on spirulina, which helps with skin allergies/sensitivities. He's just a thin-skinned TB that, like me, is a HUGE fly/mosquito magnet--they love him! So, he's pretty much covered head-to-toe in fly gear for most of the year.