The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I lock the door behind me when I leave and usually lock it when I am at home- I figure why tempt fate? but anyone willing to climb up to the patio (up on the second floor) can open the sliding door there and get in, it doesn't lock. I often leave the windows open in good weather.
    I figure the dogs will deter any casual burglar, and any non-casual burglar will find a way to get in regardless.
    I don't really have anything that someone would want to steal anyway, so who cares. No gold bullion under the bed or priceless art on the walls.

My lower level windows are always locked. Doors are locked during day if we aren't there and always locked at night. Second story windows have locks on them that allow you to have them slightly open but the ones in the bedrooms are usually left wide open (except for teenage daughter, bars are on order as we speak for HER windows LMAO). I do have a roaming alarm/guard system though ;-) and we have our own back up immediately available if he fails to deter!
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pse09a98cd.jpg
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    but anyone willing to climb up to the patio (up on the second floor) can open the sliding door there and get in, it doesn't lock.
    You can cut a piece of 2x4 and wedge it on the sliding part of your door to use as a lock so it can't be opened from the outside. We have one that way too.
    Kerri

I totally read this title as "Do you close & lock your windows when you're sweeping?".

I thought that was a really odd question

We don't, however, lock them ever. We live way out in the country, and have two scary looking dogs. We lock the front door when we go to work, mostly just a habit. But the windows are always unlocked, and when the weather is nice, they're totally open.
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

When it's nice out the windows are always open day and night. If I'm home during the day the doors are also opened.

At night the front, side, and back doors are locked.

I have a french door in the bedroom that opens onto the deck. On those rare perfect nights, when it's neither too hot, nor too cold, nor too humid, that door is open while I sleep.

To be honest it might increase the risk of having someone enter the house but it's in the back of the house, and not visible from the road. Probably not going to invite an opportunistic break-in and if someone really wants to get into the house the locks aren't going to stop them anyway.

Most people are going to look at my house compared to those a couple miles up the road and figure I've got nothing much of value to steal. They'd be correct for the most part.

We have everything closed and locked if we leave the house, and usually all night too. We have four dogs that are great about alerting us to stuff, a driveway gate that stays locked when our barn is closed/off hours, and a driveway alarm that goes off whenever something comes down our driveway. Call me paranoid but I was raised to be wary of everything/anything. It's really creepy when the driveway alarm goes off at 3am and you look out the window...and nothing's there.

Downstairs windows are generally closed at night to keep the cats in... We usually remember to close and lock the doors, too! However, we live in the middle of nowhere and if someone wanted to get in, they'd get in. They wouldn't necessarily enjoy it when they did, though.

In the summer, the bedroom doors onto the balcony upstairs are generally open at night. it hangs over a pretty big ravine so you'd need to be James Bond to get up there...

(I did have the stairs down from the balcony removed when we moved in.)

It is screened, though, so things like owls and bats don't fly in!

The only window in the house that's not locked is my bedroom window, as it's my emergency entrance when I don't have a key. There was a rash of burglaries in the closest town for awhile and I DID lock it then. I'm surprised nobody actually tried it before though, it used to be widely known that I'd sneak out of my window to hang out with people my parents didn't like and sneak back in later, so quite a few people knew my room was break-in-able
    Quarry Rat

I don't.

In the summer I leave the front door open and have just the screen door shut. There is a little lock on it but really one swipe with a blade and someone could just step right in. Probably if you kicked hard it would fly open.

In general I do not lock the main doors at night either because they are deadbolts that you need a key to open. In the event of a fire...I would need a key to open them. I think the risk of a dryer fire or other electrical event or a lightning strike or downed power line is greater than the risk that some loon will invade my house of all houses, and plus if someone breaks the picture window to break in and both doors are locked how do I get out then?

I have three dogs who are extremely vocal when someone so much as steps on the porch. I can't get them to shut up even for people they know well. No one will sneak in unnoticed.

Um, Yes. Doors are always locked, even during the day. Lower level windows always closed and locked unless someone is home and awake.

I will leave my 3rd floor bedroom window open on nice days and while I sleep. No one's getting in that window very easily...
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Our back door is left unlocked but the back yard is fenced and the gates padlocked. Someone could climb over the fence but then they would encounter our 4 big dogs- 2 dobermans, a boxer and a husky BC mix. our windows stay open if its nice out and our front door is always locked. We never use it though. Our garage doors stay colsed all the time so the door going into the house from there is never locked. But again with our dogs I don't really worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    ...It's really creepy when the driveway alarm goes off at 3am and you look out the window...and nothing's there.
    Yeah, my driveway alarm goes off in the middle of the night sometimes, too. Usually, I don't see anything but decide it's one of my ferals out for a stroll. When the motion sensor lights go on and I don't see anything, that's creepy, too.

Another reason I don't leave my windows open at night or when I'm not home is that my cats are crazy. They chase each other like devils. I'm afraid one of them will hit a screen and pop it out. Years ago, I had one do that and fall out of a second floor apartment window. She was fine but I almost had a heart attack.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com