The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spin-off - Do you close & lock your windows when you're sleeping?

Spinoff from the break-in thread. How many close and lock their windows before going to bed at night, because they are worried about someone breaking in? Or who keeps their doors and windows closed and locked at all times, night and day, for fear that someone will break in?

I close & lock up when leaving the house, but otherwise it just depends on the temps inside & out, or if the rain is blowing in, etc. In good weather everything is open while we are sleeping.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Well, considering the neighbors 5 down from us had an armed robbery a little over a month ago. . .everything is locked all the time.

1 members found this post helpful.

No, not always. I have three big dogs and it's pretty quiet out here...they hear someone coming from very far off.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I like having the windows open but I live in the middle of nowhere now. I still lock them at night and when I leave. As I said in another thread, I lived in the city so some stuff seems second nature.

I also lock my car, lock the barn and lock the equip. shed. My SO has a utility trailer w/o a lock and it's pissing me off. People will steal -sad but true. Not every person but a lot will take if it's sitting there unguarded.

Closed, yes. Locked, no -- I'm sure I have the key somewhere. We don't have sash windows, though, so it would be difficult for someone to get in.

Mine are locked as a default. I open them only when I'm home and awake, then close them again.

But right now I'm living in a ground floor apartment. In a super safe neighborhood in a very safe tiny town, mind you, but still a woman on her own. When I lived in a highrise I often left them open.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Both are closed and locked when I leave, always. I live in a ground floor apartment. I would leave a second story window open, but not a first-floor.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I leave second floor windows open. But everything on the first floor is locked.

We've never had a break-in, and not one in our neighborhood as far as I know. Years ago we never used to lock the house. Ever. Even when leaving all day! But now we have a public bike trail not too far from the house and therefore more strangers around, so yeah. Also, break-ins can happen no matter how 'safe' or rural a home is. For a few years we lived in an upscale more rural area and one day all the houses around us got broken into (except ours, which I attributed to our dogs.)

I'm of the mindset that it's better to be safe than sorry. (I feel like I got that from being around horses all my life, honestly.) If you make something a habit, it's just a habit, and not something that you're doing because you're freaking out all the time. Just like putting on a helmet every time you ride... not because you're actively afraid, but just in case.

I can latch mine so they're open but can't be opened from the outside. It leaves a little (finger wide) gap on the inside.

Doors are unlocked during the day, locked at night. In the summer I'll leave the front door open to let a breeze into the house.

But I'm very rural so there's not too many people around.

(I do lock the truck doors as soon as I get in to it though.)
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

No. If the weather is nice, they are open day and night, whether we're home or not.

I live in a rural area. If someone wants to break into my house, they could easily break a window and get in. If they are unlucky and we are home, though, they are likely to meet one of us with a shotgun. Two dogs that bark are also a deterrent, although it's hard to know how they would react if a stranger did make it into the house.

In general, I don't think we live a lifestyle or in an environment that would make us a likely target for a quick "convenience" type of crime/theft. I know I'd never consider sneaking up on any of my neighbors for fear of being shot.

2 members found this post helpful.

In my house, I used to leave the windows open on a cool, breezy day, when I was in the house. I would leave them open if I was just running and errand and heading back. At night and out for work, they would be closed and locked.

I have locked myself out of both my car and house. My brother, who lives 5miles from me, has the key. If worst comes to it, I can go to his house to wait it out. If I was locked out of both my house AND my car, I live close enough to main street to go to a cafe until someone can let me in. If I had an open window or way to get into my house, I would use that. I would not break a window to get into my house.

In my brother's house, I leave the window's open (been renting out my house and staying with my brother). I have the room above the garage and there is no air conditioning in the house so if I leave the windows closed, my room would be a furnace. There is a chance of someone scaling the house and getting in through the windows, but we live far enough out of the way that if someone wanted to rob the place, they would come prepared to break in through more conventional means.

I live in the middle of nowhere. I have great neighbors that keep watch of everything. I have six dogs in the house. I never lock anything. I have friends and grown kids who come and go. If I'm not home and they need something, they can go in and get it. The dogs know friends, family, neighbors. Anyone else? There isn't anything in here worth fighting the dogs for.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I have no windows that can be opened from the outside and my doors are always locked down, even when I'm home.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I should mention that I am of the few who don't have central air conditioning, and have southern exposure. If we didn't keep our windows open, we would cook! (Or at least I can say that our window AC units would run day and night and cost a fortune).

The windows are closed and locked, but only because we rarely open them. I don't lock anything but the tack room and the garage, which is a couple hundred feet closer to the road than the barn and full of tools. I don't even know where the house key is- haven't ever locked the doors. DH will lock the truck if there's a bunch of tools in it and we're going to be gone in the car for a while, but most of the time vehicles are unlocked with keys in them. It's nice living in a rural area.

I have become very lax living in a 3rd floor condo in a super secure building. I have a slider that I leave unlocked all the time. My windows automatically lock if they're closed. But I've also been leaving my front door unlocked while I'm walking the dog or running to the mailbox or to the trash room - my building is only accessible by key card so I really don't worry about it.

I am planning to move to a SFH within the next 6 months, though, and I'll probably have an alarm installed - and when I have a SFH, I keep windows and doors locked unless I'm at home and have the windows open.

I was watching Criminal Minds the other night - it was the episode from season 6 where the guy was murdering people in a gated community. A good point was made that people often don't lock the doors that lead from the house to the garage, because they don't think to lock a door that's on the other side of a locked door. So....lock your inside garage doors too, people!!!!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Second floor, wide open. You could get in with a ladder I guess. Mostly no, if the weather is nice. If we go out we lock doors. If they want in they'll get in.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Windows are closed and locked when I am not home and at night. Doors are locked even when I am home. I have a security system that is armed when I am not home and at night (not after dark, but when I go to bed). And I have a medium-sized dog that does not like strangers.

Mine are not always closed at night, but I live on the third floor of an apartment complex - you'd have to really want to get in here to get up to my windows!

Never lock anything. Sane people know to stay away. Plus, the house is like a labyrinth, intruders would fall/get lost easily LOL!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!