The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I turned 30 and all hell broke loose. I haven't slept in 18 months. HELP!?

Can anyone shed light on my issue?
    Just like the title says. I turned 30 and all went to pot.

1. I got fat.
    2. My skin broke out REALLY bad.
    3. But the worst was that I stopped sleeping properly.

1. The weight gain went down after about a year. And I actually am happier with my body now than I was in my 20s!

2. My skin suddenly exploded. And I bought a lovely exotic kitten who was nick named "ring worm kitty". So my face was also covered in ring worm for a short time.
    I've always struggled with acne but Ortho Tri Cyclin kept it under control. Until I turned 30. Took me TWO YEARS to clear it up. Finally, I'm acne free.

3. When I was 31 (almost 32) I stopped sleeping. I'm the type that can lay down and be out cold within 2 minutes. I could get up at 5am for work every weekday and then have no issues sleeping 12 hours on the weekends.

Sept of 2010 I just stopped being able to do that. I would go to bed at midnight and get up at 5am for work without issue.
    It's gotten worse. Now I can't sleep without over the counter sleep aids.
    I take a night time sleep aid and two 5HTP. That allows me to sleep a good 8 hours.
    Without it I get 3 hours if I'm lucky.

And it's not like I'm feeling so sleepy but I just don't fall asleep. I'm WIDE awake. As if I am on a high dose of prednisone or something.

I was soooo tired last night. So I skipped the sleep aid and just took two of the 5 HTPs. Went to bed at 11:30. I was wide awake at 2:30.

I work my butt off all day. For instance, yesterday I got up at 8am. Fed the horses, picked up crap from our 3 acre pasture and spread it, painted jump poles, cleared my entire SJ course to drag the arena, set up a new SJ course, jumped my horse, rearranged all of my power tools (table saws and such) in the barn and organized the entire barn.

That's how it has been for the past year. It's an nightmare.

I even went as far as remodeling my bedroom to make it more cozy and sleepy feeling. So I LOVE going to bed at night. Plus I'm a lover of bed time in general.

What is wrong with me!!??
    I just want to go to bed.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Um...you need to see a doctor. (Did a doctor tell you to use the OTC sleep aids? Those can screw up your ability to sleep without them and aren't supposed to be long-term.) And possibly get a referral to a sleep clinic.

3 members found this post helpful.

Do you take Claritin for allergies? I only ask because it was prescribed to me and after months of not being able to sleep, I figured out that's what it was. I can take 1 non-generic Claritin and not sleep for 3 days, no kidding. I can, however, take generic Claritin for allergies and it doesn't cause the insomnia. Just a thought.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

How much caffeine are you drinking? It can stay in your system for 6 hrs or more.

Agree that you need to see a doctor for a full exam, and make sure you get your vitamin D levels checked. In September, when your sleep problem began, vitamin D levels plummet as the sun heads south. Vitamin D is related to circadian rhythms and also is a major factor in healthy skin. But again, get a full workup and make sure that getting your vitamin D levels checked is part of it. I hope you have peaceful sleep soon.

And have you had your thyroid checked?

Definitely get medical advice. Having said that, you might want to try a sunrise alarm clock. It mimics the sundown/sunup process that helps you sleep. I can't actually say how scientific or anything this is. But I bought one and definitely like how it puts me to sleep and wakes me up.

Having said that, I don't know if it's age or what (possibly the concussion I got in the summer), but I can't do the sustained long days/short sleeps I used to be able to in my 20s.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I depend on medication to sleep every night but that's because the last few years were so monstrously stressful I'm sometimes surprised I'm not hospitalized in the local insane ward. For me I'm struggling to face all these challenges succesfully, so the one crutch I allowed myself was drugging to sleep. I did go to the dr, and the prescription Ambien with occasional use benzo is my key to keeping going.

I do hope to get off this regime at some point, but not until I'm well past living in daily fear of the rug being jerked out from under my whole world - a few years yet.

Anyway, are you under stress? You said it just came with the age, but did anything else happen along about then that might have loaded on the worries?

I agree with seeing a dr. I did the OTC sleep aid stuff for awhile & felt guilty & like a drug addict. It feels better to be dealing with the problem under a dr's care, even if my solution still involves pills.

PS, back to add, hitting 30 was when I stopped being able to eat anything and still look like an anorexic string bean.

So it may be some kind of a milestone for physical changes, that manifests in different ways for different folks.

Good luck!

Just wait until you hit 40!

Seriously, if you haven't been, go see a Dr. Especially if you can find a good osteopath. I struggled with chronic fatigue etc for years and the only Dr. that finally helped me get back to some kind of normal was an osteopath.

I know from personal experience that OTC sleep aids can mess up your sleep patterns. They say they are not habit forming, but I think the body builds up a tolerance or something. Hope you can find some relief one way or another. Not being able to sleep sucks, and it can lead to all kinds of other problems, like a giant snowball effect.

what came first, the sleep disorder or the other symptoms? the acne/weight gain sounds like something wrong with your hormonal balance, but lack of sleep can also cause acne and weight gain.

PM me as soon as you can. I am not a doctor but can most likely point you in the direction of what's going on. At one time I had these very same issues with some others you didn't mention.

ARE WE TWINS?!?!?!?

I've also gained a significant amount of weight (chalked it up to not riding anymore), and have stopped sleeping - probably since turning about 28, but it was the worst last year.

What are you stressed about? For me, it turned out that my job was stressing me out like crazy and when I had finally had enough of the BS and quit - I slept like a baby for the first time in YEARS. I still struggle with the occasional sleepless night, but only when I'm worried about something (usually $$$) or have had too much coffee. And I didn't really think I was all that stressed out at my old job, but we're talking WEEKS ON END with maybe 3-4 hours of sleep per night.

It's been 7 months and I think I'm just now starting to get back to normal.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

okay. more history and answers.

1. My thyroid is borderline low. They put me on the smallest bit of thyroid meds which made my body go crazy.

2. I ingest ZERO caffeine.

3. Vitamin D is good. Rest of blood panel is good (except for slightly low thyroid)

4. Vitamin B is low. Even with injections we never got it up. My energy level is totally fine.

5. Stress.
    I had my entire life totally screwed by a co worker last April. That problem lasted from April until Sept. They finally fired me (well...laid me off) in Sept for reasons not having to do with me.
    It had gotten so bad that I was afraid to fall asleep and would have crying/hyperventilation anxiety attacks Sunday nights. It was REALLY bad. Especially because I'm super laid back. So for me to have a reaction so dramatic is a big deal. I had 15 years vested with the University...flushed down the drain.
    I will admit that I'm still bothered and very bitter.

But the sleeping issue started 6 months before that...

And now that I've not been working there for the past 6 months nothing has changed. I stay home with my horsies and build XC jumps and am LOVING my life. I do not feel stressed at all. I go out with friends more than ever and am having a blast doing whatever I please. : )
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

One interesting change.

I started the sub lingual allergy drops June of 2011. It takes a few months to work up to the highest "maintenance" dose. That would have been about Sept.

The sleep issues started Sept of 2011.

They are a relatively new treatment and work sooo much better for me than allergy shots. I'd hate to stop using them. I'm really a disaster and we used to have to split my allergy shot into 2 doses--dilute it with saline, give one in each arm and do them every 5 days.
    The sub lingual drops have been a God Send.

I wonder...

1 members found this post helpful.

Birth control pills threw me out of whack in a similar way- weight gain, skin breakouts, and problems sleeping.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    okay. more history and answers.

1. My thyroid is borderline low. They put me on the smallest bit of thyroid meds which made my body go crazy.

2. I ingest ZERO caffeine.

3. Vitamin D is good. Rest of blood panel is good (except for slightly low thyroid)

4. Vitamin B is low. Even with injections we never got it up. My energy level is totally fine.

5. Stress.
    I had my entire life totally screwed by a co worker last April. That problem lasted from April until Sept. They finally fired me (well...laid me off) in Sept for reasons not having to do with me.
    It had gotten so bad that I was afraid to fall asleep and would have crying/hyperventilation anxiety attacks Sunday nights. It was REALLY bad. Especially because I'm super laid back. So for me to have a reaction so dramatic is a big deal. I had 15 years vested with the University...flushed down the drain.
    I will admit that I'm still bothered and very bitter.

But the sleeping issue started 6 months before that...

And now that I've not been working there for the past 6 months nothing has changed. I stay home with my horsies and build XC jumps and am LOVING my life. I do not feel stressed at all. I go out with friends more than ever and am having a blast doing whatever I please. : )
    I used to lay in bed afraid to fall asleep because I was certain if I did, I was going to die in my sleep. It sounds to me, in my non-professional not-a-doctor-opinion, that stress is a huge factor in your lack of sleep.

I feel for you, I really really do.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

So the sleep issues started about the time the work problems did? You can get into cycles of waking up, and then your mind goes over problems and scenarios, and then you can't go back to sleep. Once you get into sleep problems it's hard to stop, and the OTC meds aren't helping either. You can get dependent on them psychologically, if not physically. I heard a long time ago that the reason little kids have trouble getting to sleep is blood sugar fluctuations. Eating sugary things, can make you hungry at bedtime, and then the adrenaline goes up, and you have a hard time going to sleep. Too much activity around bedtime, like exercising too late can make it hard to relax and sleep. Keeping a regular schedule of waking and sleeping can help too, and afternoon naps interfere with getting sleepy later.

Too much light in a room can seriously keep you awake. Clock radios, my VCR, and other things drive me bonkers. I rigged a cover for the VCR front that covers the lights, and very good blinds keep the light out from passing vehicles, or moonlight.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I think I stole your sleep...

I was laid off back in Sept 2012, trying to keep myself busy with the one horse and Army Reserve extra duty, but I wouldn't say I'm exhausted at the end of the day, yet I still sleep close to 10hr+ a night! Some nights I sleep right through, dead to the world, others I wake a few times. I also feel tired even after getting so much sleep, can't win! Two days a week I do morning chores where I board to help get me out of bed before 8am, but the other days if I don't have appointments or work it's not uncommon for me to sleep in past 8am even though I turn off the lights at 10pm. I do usually wake up when DH gets ready for work from 5-6am and lightly doze until he's out of the house.

At least I'm maintaining good weight, I could stand to lose 5lbs, but I haven't changed all that much with the excess sleep. It's my winter hibernation fat layer!

I suggest seeing a psychiatrist (NOT A GP!!) and finding out about antidepressants. The not sleeping is frequently associated with very low/non-existent seratonin/melatonin levels. There is a medication called Trazadone that does wonders for insomnia. IT IS NOT A SLEEPING PILL. It just adjusts your levels so you can sleep.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry