The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Oh! You mean like RaRa?
    No, Angela - "RARA" stands for "Radical Animal Rights Activists". That is the name they give themselves, how they self-identify, although I have not seen them use the shorthand version. How do you see it as analogous to TFH?
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Oh! You mean like RaRa?
    BTW, Angela - I answered your question to me a bit back in the thread about identifying the RARA groups, did you see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I guarantee you I have never used that, if it is ok or not.
    It doesn't sound right to me, but then, I don't have a good ear for English.
    At most I have used AR, after writing out several times in a post "animal rights extremists", used then as short hand.
    It's simply an acronym; many of the dog boards and some FB horse pages use "RAs" or "AR" or "ARAs" or "ARists". It's all internet shorthand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    "Radical Animal Rights Activist" . Certainly not a term coined by anyone around here. Media moniker. However I think to borrow from the arts "WALKERS" is much much more appropriate.
    Exactly LOL -- "walkers" and "humaniacs" would be the counterpart to TFHers, not RARAs.

Gotta love the "everyone is coming to take your pets and horses group" AKA "tin foil hat brigade" (tfhb) they are the name callers and radicals advocating for the carriage horse industry, I think they say if a horse is not working, it is a horse life wasted. Too funny , VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC !!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Gotta love the "everyone is coming to take your pets and horses group" AKA "tin foil hat brigade" (tfhb) they are the name callers and radicals advocating for the carriage horse industry, I think they say if a horse is not working, it is a horse life wasted. Too funny , VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC !!!!!!
    Grudges are attractive !

Now in all the time you've been attempting to discredit the pro-carriage/urban horse position you think you would have at least paid attention.

Advocating for the RIGHT to work is vastly different then your statement.What they advocate for is in defense of this :

"We believe that animals do not exist to serve human needs, and we are opposed to the exploitation of animals in all its forms.Nevertheless, we believe that all animal exploitation must ultimately be abolished and not merely regulated." -CHAI

That group SV --fully and publicly supported by PETA

Now pay follow along SV ...that statement includes your pretty ponies too. If you ride , drive , show , trail ride , make do a trick , keep in anyplace other then a huge field of green green grass with gentle moving springs and magjikal butterflies.

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

I think the same about kids. If they aren't getting trained to do something...they can not expect a happy future. That is the same with horses.

SV..Considering the amount of money DEFHR has stated it takes to keep a horse...and considering the demand these horses be given FREE to sanctuaries...where are these 24/7 lush fields of green grass, babbling brooks, song birds and rail fences?

It has been clearly stated by many...it does not matter if you are for or against...the attempt to steal these horses with an unrealistic promise is insidious. Most of us understand the minute the cameras stop rolling these carriage horses will suddenly disappear..much like PETA did with their van pickups of dogs and cats from families and seniors.

It the first part of the original program is to be accepted, then maybe these groups will need to provide inspection time daily for 20 plus years for EACH of the horses stolen...I mean liberated.

Seriously, this thread is about animal cruelty regulations. Nothing more nothing less, "horses will suddenly disappear...much like PETA did with their van pickups of dogs and cats from families an seniors" This statement is insanity, get some meds...get some help and for goodness sake "no one is coming to take your animals" !!! The government cannot afford it !!!

Seriously, this thread is about animal cruelty regulations. Nothing more nothing less, "horses will suddenly disappear...much like PETA did with their van pickups of dogs and cats from families an seniors" This statement is insanity, get some meds...get some help and for goodness sake "no one is coming to take your animals" !!! The government cannot afford it !!!
    The government can't.
    But PETA and HSUS can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Animal control is paid for by the government whether it is county, state or federal...it is still government.

Quote Originally Posted by Airfern View Post
    Right there is a possible seizure case depending on the sanity of the agent involved.?
    Good lord what kind of animal control officer would impound based on that scenario, Homer Simpson? Barney Fife?
    I realize that common sense is lacking these days but it's a stretch to think a trained officer would impound a dog in your scenario.
    Actually, true story.

A newly hired person drove to our place of work to put in a few personal items, get an ID card, etc. He left his cattle dog secured in the back of his pick up truck. It was a cloudy cool day. He came out of the building a short time later to find a police officer at his truck, writing a ticket with a call into animal control. Long story short, the dog owner had to take his dog to the local animal shelter and leave her there for the rest of the time (2 hours), pay a fee for reclaiming his dog, etc. The police officer claimed the dog posed an hazard and MUST BE REMOVED from the parking lot. Had the dog owner not shown up at that time, I'm sure the dog would have been taken to the shelter by animal control. I spoke with the officer myself, being a colleague of the new hire...

What Fairfax is saying is that PETA misrepresented themselves to families and seniors that were trying to rehome their pets and PETA took the animals from the front door to their collection van and promptly euthanized them. No remoming, just death. This is what PETA does, they got caught dumping the animals in dumpsters even. PETA invested in huge walk-in freezers to store the remains of thousands of euthanized animals at a time and then when they have a "full load" they go to a crematorium.

What Fairfax is saying is that once the horses are seized and are in sanctuaries, once the resulting media blitz dies down, the horses will be euthanized too. They are too expensive to keep.

Their sanctuary will be a syringe of pink liquid and a hole in the ground.
    Last edited by Amwrider; Feb. 14, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    What Fairfax is saying is that PETA misrepresented themselves to families and seniors that were trying to rehome their pets and PETA took the animals from the front door to their collection van and promptly euthanized them. No remoming, just death. This is what PETA does, they got caught dumping the animals in dumpsters even. After that happened, PETA invested in huge walk-in freezers to store the remains.

What Fairfax is saying is that once the horses are seized and are in sanctuaries, once the resulting media blitz dies down, the horses will be euthanized too. They are too expensive to keep.

100%

SV is right the government cannot afford it. PETA and HSUS certainly can and frankly DEAD is cheap !

Isn't it PETA that says "Better dead then fed"

"I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    100%

SV is right the government cannot afford it. PETA and HSUS certainly can and frankly DEAD is cheap !

Isn't it PETA that says "Better dead then fed"

according to the papers they filed on their only 'shelter', with a near 99% euthanasia rate....that speaks volumes....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    What Fairfax is saying is that PETA misrepresented themselves to families and seniors that were trying to rehome their pets and PETA took the animals from the front door to their collection van and promptly euthanized them. No remoming, just death. This is what PETA does, they got caught dumping the animals in dumpsters even. PETA invested in huge walk-in freezers to store the remains of thousands of euthanized animals at a time and then when they have a "full load" they go to a crematorium.

So you think PETA & HSUS go around pretending to be animal control officers to take people's animals to "santuaries" where the animals are then killed ?

As opposed to real animal control officers that take animals to shelters that kill them when they are not adopted ?

Nope you still make no sense.

I know what I said and you know what I said also.

Did I SAY or TYPE anything about Animal Control Officers? Nope.

You just want to drag attention back to yourself because we all know the universe revolves around you.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

4 members found this post helpful.

Sorry if you don't believe it but it is true. Yes, agreed, it makes no sense. But this is what they do. They are dedicated to eliminating all human use of animals, even as companions.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Actually, PETA and HSUS do lobby heavily to be given police powers. Judges and law enforcement officers do NOT want PETA people to be given a badge and a nightstick - we had a program in my state that backfired horribly. We had whackjob "investigators" who botched investigations of serious crimes (dog fighting, drug dealing, etc) They'll try and get that program reopened almost every session - and each time they want more power. They want to require an unlimited number of investigators to be outfitted at the expense of individual police depts, they wanted the blue lights on their cars, they wanted sovereign immunity but no training requirements - they want the ability to start investigations without any complaints or probable cause - the legislation is just crazy. But somehow they find a patron. One year they broke up the legislation into different pieces - assigned to different committees. Thinking they'd slid it through unnoticed. But people noticed.

A reasonable goal is to have a well trained and funded ACO(s) for counties, who have the support of the community and who have a good shelter to work with.

But it seems PETA and HSUS, at least in my state, is far more interested in acquiring police powers - with little to no accountability or process for contesting appointments, removal, discipline, background checks - nothing. They want the law enforcement powers but the unchecked ability to skirt the law.

Luckily the legislature queried LEO's and judges about this program - and the answer was not only a resounding No - it was hell no. But... the groups keep pushing for it anyway.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

5 members found this post helpful.

So you think PETA & HSUS go around pretending to be animal control officers to take people's animals to "santuaries" where the animals are then killed ?

As opposed to real animal control officers that take animals to shelters that kill them when they are not adopted ?

Nope you still make no sense.
    PETA does...dogs and cats. Yes ma'am they do.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Actually, PETA and HSUS do lobby heavily to be given police powers. Judges and law enforcement officers do NOT want PETA people to be given a badge and a nightstick - we had a program in my state that backfired horribly. We had whackjob "investigators" who botched investigations of serious crimes (dog fighting, drug dealing, etc) They'll try and get that program reopened almost every session - and each time they want more power. They want to require an unlimited number of investigators to be outfitted at the expense of individual police depts, they wanted the blue lights on their cars, they wanted sovereign immunity but no training requirements - they want the ability to start investigations without any complaints or probable cause - the legislation is just crazy. But somehow they find a patron. One year they broke up the legislation into different pieces - assigned to different committees. Thinking they'd slid it through unnoticed. But people noticed.
    It isn't just PETA and HSUS, either. I had another rescuer (from Texas) approach me and say that we should go together to lobby to be given the power to seize horses/equine animals without law enforcement involvement. I cringed and told her that I don't want that responsibility and do believe law enforcement should be involved in these cases. But I am positive she'll keep hitting people up trying to get someone to help her get those powers.

I cringe.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com