The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Neither do those of us who have been accused of being THFers - did you see my post where I cited an animal welfare law that I helped to write?
    I'm not the one who chose the title of the thread.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    If it is on the up and up and has professional groups involved, why is it that most animal legislation "sneaks" through piggybacked on other entries? They know that once it is in as a law it is very hard to remove.If only a couple per year sneak through, that is a great start.

Ask purebred dog breeders. AKC used to stay on top of it. Now they are playing catch up
    Bull AKC used to stay on top of it, that's total BS. Breed a registered crap dog to a registered crap dog, you get your crap puppy registered. Even if you're a puppy mill.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bull AKC used to stay on top of it, that's total BS. Breed a registered crap dog to a registered crap dog, you get your crap puppy registered. Even if you're a puppy mill.
    of legislations that would impact their members in a negative way.

the majority of breeders are still not puppy millers.

yep, 15 years ago, in the early days of the internet, they had tehir ear on the ground.

not sure how things are looking these days, it's been a decade since I lost contact with the people who breed dogs.

But it had been in the MO back then: draft laws that sound good to combat the guys you hate (puppy millers for instance) but have disastrous results for the good guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    of legislations that would impact their members in a negative way.

the majority of breeders are still not puppy millers.

yep, 15 years ago, in the early days of the internet, they had tehir ear on the ground.

not sure how things are looking these days, it's been a decade since I lost contact with the people who breed dogs.

But it had been in the MO back then: draft laws that sound good to combat the guys you hate (puppy millers for instance) but have disastrous results for the good guys.

Ah, that makes more sense. If I misunderstood, I apologize. Having volunteered for a breed rescue and seeing the results of breeding for profit instead of betterment of the breed makes me a bit skeptical of the motivation of many breeders. But then, I'm seeing the bad side, not the good side.

Of course, I'm a bit skeptical towards rescues too.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    No real answers as is typical with the TFB. A reputation earned clearly not given.
    Some of us have to work with our animals so an immediate reply is not necessary. Since you are the legal beagle self proclaimed I am sure you are aware of the Santa Barbara sneak in to number dogs. It was passed sanwiched inbetween a sanitation bill and a water works bill. There was NOTHING to state that there was going to be a number of dogs limited per household. This was about 10 years ago. Breeders were caught including one kennel (boarding comnmercially). They had to close down as they could not get an ammendment to exempt them under a business ruling.

Breeders of purebred dogs ran into a problem as it was supposed to stop the breeding of mongrels but they would not make exceptions for those who were producing their own show dogs.

SV...I am sure, after reading your posts that not many dog breeders would want to rub noses with you either. .

AKC used to be able to mount a campaign against potential laws however that is no longer possible. They have to leave it up to members of dog shows or committees to watch on civic levels and AKC trieds to monitor state and federal

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm not the one who chose the title of the thread.
    Disingenuous and purposely obtuse response. Time waster.

Will not be responding to you again.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Laura...is it just me you are bitter against or is it everyone

AKC has spend millions in lobby personal in Washington to fight legislation.

AKC, like every registration body in the world collects money for providing a service. They do NOT tell you who to breed to who...not to breed a poor dog..same as horse registration bodies (with the exception of those who do the inspections) only keep track of the bloodlines and DNA for verification.

AKC was always informed when there were changes in municiple codes, land designations and restricted housing developments. Now, times have changed and there is an onslaught across the U.S. and there is too much for any organization to monitor. They rely on local clubs and those are only as good as the members they have. Sadly, fewer people want to be made aware....it is "someone elses job".

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Laura...is it just me you are bitter against or is it everyone

AKC has spend millions in lobby personal in Washington to fight legislation.

AKC, like every registration body in the world collects money for providing a service. They do NOT tell you who to breed to who...not to breed a poor dog..same as horse registration bodies (with the exception of those who do the inspections) only keep track of the bloodlines and DNA for verification.

AKC was always informed when there were changes in municiple codes, land designations and restricted housing developments. Now, times have changed and there is an onslaught across the U.S. and there is too much for any organization to monitor. They rely on local clubs and those are only as good as the members they have. Sadly, fewer people want to be made aware....it is "someone elses job".
    I misunderstood...look at post 224...I even apologized.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Disingenuous and purposely obtuse response. Time waster.

Will not be responding to you again.
    Are you serious?