The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

That's awful, Jenn. Rescue groups play a vital role in animal abuse/neglect cases - but these are criminal acts and must be prosecuted by law enforcement. LEO's must be in charge of gathering evidence and ensuring the defendant is apprised of his/her rights. Otherwise - cases fall apart and criminals walk.

In the end - these are crimes. When we develop bad public policy that foists them off on an ill informed self appointed police force - all it does is ensure animal welfare remains the red headed stepchild of law enforcement. That is not a good thing for animal welfare.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

1 members found this post helpful.

As far back as 2008, the Center for Consumer Freedom petitioned Virginia's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) to have PETA officially reclassified as a "slaughterhouse." It claimed PETA's own official reports, which indicated that it put to death virtually ever dog and cat it took in for adoption. This policy extended from 2006 through 2011.

Virginia requires animal shelters to report the number of dogs and cats taken in each year -- how many are euthanized and how many are adopted.

These statistics are available through Virginia's Sunshine Law and, as incredible as some may find it, since 1998, of the 31,815 animals (mostly dogs and cats) admitted to PETA shelters, only 3,159 were adopted -- and 27,751 were killed.

That's a 9.7% adoption rate and an 87.2% kill rate -- a ghastly record for an organization purporting to work on behalf of animals. To me that suggests a view that if an animal isn't free and in the wild, it is better off dead.

But wait, it gets worse. Since 2006, the PETA adoption rate has dropped precipitously, and the kill rate risen dramatically. In 2006, of 3,061 animals admitted to PETA's shelter, 12 (0.39%) were adopted, 2,981 (97.49%) were euthanized.

Last year - 2011 -- some 1,992 animals were admitted, 24 were adopted (1.2%) and 1,911 (95.9%) were killed. And this is just Virginia.

PETA's practice of euthanasia has resulted in an alliance with the Humane Society of the U.S. A zero birthrate is the goal for dogs and cats, not a zero kill rate.

For the whole article please go to

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/peter-w...b_1296370.html

At that time, a traffic stop was initiated on the van - a vehicle occupied by Cook and Hinkle.

The bags located in the dumpster contained 18 dead dogs, including one bag containing seven puppies. An additional 13 dead dogs were found in the van.

A license check revealed the van was registered to PETA in Norfolk, Va.

It is not yet confirmed if Cook and Hinkle are official representatives of the animal rights group.

However, Detective Sgt. Ed Pittman of the Bertie Sheriff's Office confirmed, through the county's Animal Control Officer, that Cook and Hinkle identified themselves as PETA representatives from Norfolk, Va.

"According to Barry (Anderson, Bertie's Animal Officer), the man and woman told him they were picking up the dogs to take them back to Norfolk where they would find them good homes," Pittman said.

Pittman added that as far as he knew, persons identifying themselves as PETA representatives had picked-up live dogs at the Bertie Animal Shelter for at least the last two months.

http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/1379/NC/US/

I think in a bit we may have to start calling those that still don't believe who animal rights extremists are the true "tin hat wearers".

They seem to be the ones that, no matter how much facts and data you present, choose to think it is a conspiracy.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think in a bit we may have to start calling those that still don't believe who animal rights extremists are the true "tin hat wearers".

They seem to be the ones that, no matter how much facts and data you present, choose to think it is a conspiracy.
    No, we just don't think all animal welfare laws are a conspiracy and that all animal seizures aren't motivated by money or a land grab. That's where you get the tin hat.

Kind of along the lines of the head nutter, Wayne LaPierre.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

Gee, like all the names I have been called ? Some of which I am not allowed to repeat ? I'll tin hat wearer over those rude names and suggestions anyday !

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Caught with what exactly? You ARE drunk. I've NEVER lied about anything on trot or anywhere else for that matter. I am what I am. You OTOH are exactly what is wrong in this culture like so many others, a wannabe fake. "If you can dream. And not let dreams be your master." Sage advice from good 'ol Rudyard.
    Readers just go to page 8 of the Izanalter thread . One minute doesn't have a pot to pee in..a COTH poster said she shouldn't take the horse then..and Mary came back with she owned her property and money was not a problem. back to regular programing

Mary...please go forth and heal thyself. I have more important things to do than defend myself against your ongoing attacks.

Most of us condemn the illegal seizures or those impropertly implemented or where there is a strong appearance of an agenda that does not reflect care for the animals...for one reason alone. Everytime an improper seizure is tossed out by the courts...it makes it more difficult for the valid seizures or apprehensions to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Readers just go to page 8 of the Izanalter thread . One minute doesn't have a pot to pee in..a COTH poster said she shouldn't take the horse then..and Mary came back with she owned her property and money was not a problem. back to regular programing

Mary...please go forth and heal thyself. I have more important things to do than defend myself against your ongoing attacks.
    Twisting and turning in wind, you are. I am perfectly well I just don't like liars, thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    That's awful, Jenn. Rescue groups play a vital role in animal abuse/neglect cases - but these are criminal acts and must be prosecuted by law enforcement. LEO's must be in charge of gathering evidence and ensuring the defendant is apprised of his/her rights. Otherwise - cases fall apart and criminals walk.

In the end - these are crimes. When we develop bad public policy that foists them off on an ill informed self appointed police force - all it does is ensure animal welfare remains the red headed stepchild of law enforcement. That is not a good thing for animal welfare.
    Agreed. I tried to nicely state that to the "rescuer" in question. She didn't want to hear it. I understand part of her reasoning - we all get tired of seeing places where the animals don't get help. But I prefer to work from a different angle: being there for law enforcement, assisting them as I can, and continuing to work to educate and support them.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No, we just don't think all animal welfare laws are a conspiracy and that all animal seizures aren't motivated by money or a land grab. That's where you get the tin hat.

Kind of along the lines of the head nutter, Wayne LaPierre.
    Yeah, if anyone actually denying that PETA et al are RARAs? Or better yet, denying that RARAs exist?
    But some of the TH's have pretty much come out and said outright that any animal welfare legislation in the present day is a step towards the elimination of animal ownership altogether. That's why I call them TH's, not because I doubt that PETA is a bunch of malignant kooks.

(Although tbh the almost-100% euth rate of PETA is the one thing that doesn't bother me about them, and it might be the only thing. Somehow, despite their kill rate, there are still plenty of unwanted dogs&cats around and filling non-PETA shelters to the brims. For crying out loud, what's wrong with mass euthing unwanted pets anyways, it's not like we're in danger of running out of pet dogs here?).

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    No, we just don't think all animal welfare laws are a conspiracy
    Neither do those of us who have been accused of being THFers - did you see my post where I cited an animal welfare law that I helped to write?
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Yeah, if anyone actually denying that PETA et al are RARAs? Or better yet, denying that RARAs exist?
    But some of the TH's have pretty much come out and said outright that any animal welfare legislation in the present day is a step towards the elimination of animal ownership altogether.
    Just speaking for myself here, to clarify - I said that any animal welfare legislation that was produced with the input of RARAs is intended as a step in that direction.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Just speaking for myself here, to clarify - I said that any animal welfare legislation that was produced with the input of RARAs is intended as a step in that direction.
    The problem is that you and others assume all animal welfare legislation is produced with the input of RARAs. This is simply not true, I am involved in legislation and many people who have experience weigh in. To assume that all legislation related to animal welfare, such as the post posted by the OP, is some master plan of PETA is delusional. That is the counter point to this and other threads, look at what is before you, not everything is a conspirarcy !

If it is on the up and up and has professional groups involved, why is it that most animal legislation "sneaks" through piggybacked on other entries? They know that once it is in as a law it is very hard to remove.If only a couple per year sneak through, that is a great start.

Ask purebred dog breeders. AKC used to stay on top of it. Now they are playing catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    If it is on the up and up and has professional groups involved, why is it that most animal legislation "sneaks" through piggybacked on other entries? They know that once it is in as a law it is very hard to remove.If only a couple per year sneak through, that is a great start.

Ask purebred dog breeders. AKC used to stay on top of it. Now they are playing catch up
    I don't associate with dog breeders, and your post is not specific. What is "sneaked through piggybacked on their entries" I look at the legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I don't associate with dog breeders,.
    SNORT
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    SNORT
    No real answers as is typical with the TFB. A reputation earned clearly not given.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    No real answers as is typical with the TFB. A reputation earned clearly not given.
    Look I wear the cape so I get to make the whoosh noises..are we clear ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Look I wear the cape so I get to make the whoosh noises..are we clear ?
    Animal rights extremists can try to hide, but they give themselves away so easily by what they let slip here and there.
    "By their words you will know them".

2 members found this post helpful.