The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Attention STUBBEN Peeps!!!

After much consideration and crazy obsessing I have narrowed it down to a Stubben for my OTTB.

Scandica or Roxanne?

love any feedback
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Genesis .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

Have a roxanne jumping that fits several horses nicely. So bought a Genesis dressage which hasn't fit one horse I've tried it on - shaped like a banana and rocks on everyone. One would think the stubben rep would know such things. Guess not. Too bad as it has a nice twist and is comfy.

Would go with the Roxanne if you know it will fit your horse. See a ton of Scandicas for sale which says something. Don't see that many Roxannes.

Love my Genesis Special D, but you have to see what is going to fit both you and your horse best.

My trainer has a genesis that fits my TB well. But it has gusseted panels, so is flatter. I'm using an Stubben Excalibur dresssage saddle right now. It's older so has the rock hard seat, but other than that I like it.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I have the scandica dl. Love the saddle but if it has elk hide like mine it will fade to an ugly color in a couple years.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I love my Roxane jumping saddle for foxhunting. I have an old Aramis that is like the new Genesis special Ds. I love it also.

My best advice would be to ride in the saddles before making a commitment. What someone else likes best might be your least favorite, so there is nothing like sitting in the saddle before deciding.

FWIW Mom & I have Genesis Special D's for dressage and we have a Portos and Zaria for the jumping horses. One of the boarders has a Genesis as she prefers a kneeroll and a Portos for hacking - she picked the Portos up off the Used Page on the Stubben site for a very good price. Several of my low level eventing friends have Roxanne's for XC & SJ. One student bought a Genesis Special D about a month ago and 2 others are preparing to buy them this week. Another friend dislikes all the jumping saddles except the Zaria...so it's an individual choice as to what they want to do in the saddle(s) and how the saddle fits them.

Good luck with whichever you decide to go with! I can not say enough good things about Stubben!

ETA: If you are local to me, please feel free to come by and see the saddles we have...if you make an appointment, you can have a test ride, too.
    Last edited by Tasker; Feb. 12, 2013 at 05:55 PM.

Default UPDATE

Went to my local tack exchange and as luck would have it they had both a Scandica and a Kieffer which I wanted to try for my OTTB. I also sat in every other saddle they had. I took the Scandica home to try. LOVED it! Loved the open seat, it put me in a perfect postition and I got my horses movement back. IMO a perfect saddle for a TB.

so the end of the story is I bought a Stubben Scandica. It fit my price range and my horse and I are both happy.
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

1 members found this post helpful.