The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite smart phone apps?

Just curious what Apps people have on their phones and find really useful or fun.

Admittedly, I really like Instagram. I like to look at the photos my friends post, especially if they live somewhere else. However, I'm sure some of my friends have gotten tired of the endless horse, dog, and countryside photos I put up. Haha!

Instagram is pretty fun. The only people I follow post pictures of horses so no one cares if that's all I post!

I love The Weather Channel app, makes clothing (horse and people!) decisions easy and it's been very accurate.

I love the mail and map apps that come with it so I can check my email all the time and find places while driving.

My university has an app that makes it easier to check school email and even tells you what dining halls are open. I can also find faculty members contact information easily. Another app tracks the transit buses and tells you when one will be arriving to whatever location.

I like being able to listen to my favorite radio station back home through their app because radio here sucks.

Waze for traffic/directions
    RunPee- found out about it on this BB! Tells you times in movies that are good bathroom breaks and then summarizes the scene you missed.
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Note Me is one of my most used Apps of all time. I'm a list maker and note me keeps me from having thirty text message drafts ;-) also, this new forum setup (used also at another site I frequent) makes writing posts impossible on my phone- i can't easily tap where I want to change something, so i usually just write my posts as new notes on that app and paste them here.
    The facebook app now that it's updated and faster is great.
    Weatherbug is alright, though I don't like their hourly precipitation forecast, it's not very accurate. But the app stays because it's good for a quick glance and look at the radar.
    Sound hound is great for recognizing music that's playing, but it's best to have that quickly available so the song doesn't end as you're scrambling to click on the app. MrB prefers the song recognition app by google I think.

Mint is wonderful for tracking finances.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I have a game called Triple Town and I love it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

It's local to the Seattle area (it was developed by someone at the University of Washington) but I have recently fallen in love with OneBusAway. It tells me how far out my bus is, whether it's running ahead/on/behind schedule, or whether I've missed it. Changed my life LOL...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Two Android heart apps. It takes your heartbeat via your camera if you have a flash. It's cool, but doesn't work do well on those with iffy beats (v fibrillation, for example). For me, my heart beats fast sometimes and it's pretty accurate.

Zite, which is a news aggregator that learns your preferences based on what you read/like and don't, often usually a really interesting selection of stuff from both national and international sources. Love it!

I find Flixster helpful for movie times/locations, and Open Table for dinner reservations (I use the regular online version, too). UrbanSpoon and Yelp's apps are great for finding food if you travel a lot and need to figure out where to eat, too.

I think, other than Solitaire, the only app I use with regularity is my Alarm Clock app. I like that I can have it play a song of my choosing (I Can See Clearly Now, great song to wake up to IMO) and it starts quiet and slowly gets louder. So it can wake me up and I can creep out of bed without waking up DH (who use the loud as possible DAH DAH DAH DAH! alarm that I loathe) or lay there and listen to it for a bit.

I use Sound Hound on a regular basis. I used to use a police scanner app but it stopped downloading my county's channel for some reason.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Lightning Bug is a great white noise app! I absolutely love it. We have air filters in our bedroom so i don't need it, but when the power goes out, or if I'm traveling and sleeping in quiet rooms the lightning bug app is great.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Zombies, Run! It is a running app/game that makes running more interesting. The concept is that you are a survivor of the zombie apocalypse. Because you want to keep surviving you have to gather supplies and naturally you will want to run while gathering. It has definitely made my runs more entertaining and can be used on the treadmill too.

I also like My Tracks for skiing, it gives me information about my speed and distance and maps my runs on google maps. This summer I'd like to start using it for trail rides and hikes too.
    Last edited by Thoroughbred in Color; Feb. 18, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Default Gas Buddy

Lists gas prices by distance or price.

SkyView is a cool one that identifies stars and planets in real time and gives info about them.

I love the Flashlight App. I use it every time I leave the barn at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Lightning Bug is a great white noise app! I absolutely love it. We have air filters in our bedroom so i don't need it, but when the power goes out, or if I'm traveling and sleeping in quiet rooms the lightning bug app is great.
    I use Relax and Sleep, it's not only white noise, but crickets, beach, creek, rain, thunderstorm, refrigerator, fan, on and on and on... Like 30 sounds. I whip it out and hit the cricket noise in meetings.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I'm really addicted to this game called Hay Day.

It's essentially just a farming game. However, you can own horses... so I guess that's relevant!

I use urban spoon, yelp, google maps and navigator, instagram, FX camera, shazam, accuweather, and I am trying out a period tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsperson View Post
    I love the Flashlight App. I use it every time I leave the barn at night.
    Me too. It's the only way I can find my way to the hay in the loft at nights without killing myself or tripping over a cat.

I use GroceryIQ for grocery lists. The app itself is fairly average, but it's nice to have a grocery list on my phone. It's way better than the slew of sticky notes I used to rely on.

i like The Weather Channel's weather app much better than what came with my iPhone.

For games, I'm addicted to BubbleMania. If you like bubble shooter games, it's the best one I've found. Free and they keep adding new levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred in Color View Post
    Zombies, Run! It is a running app/game that makes running more interesting. The concept is that you are a survivor of the zombie apocalypse. Because you want to keep surviving you have to gather supplies and naturally you will want to run while gathering. It has definitely made my runs more entertaining and can be used on the treadmill too.
    I had to go look at the app just out of curiosity. What sort of evil genius was the the first person to think of such a thing?!?

My most used are My Fitness Pal, Shopping List by Hensoft (remembers items and can sort list by aisle), Fitbit, and Endomondo.

Others I like are Fat2Fit Radio's app, Heart Rate, P90X, Weather Channel, Chrome, App Gratis, eBay, and Amazon.

I don't play a lot of game, but I do like Moxie, 7 Little Words, Solitaire, and Word With Friends.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett