The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Wink Anyone Else Enjoy Volunteering?

I do volunteer work every now and then and it makes me feel good to give back to the world. Anyone else feel the same?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It's a friggin 2nd and 3rd job....

I do school band and Boy Scouts, have started Girl Scouts.
    man, I need a job to recover....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I help my SO's Son baseball team's boosters. I have met some really nice people. I used to do a lot for a Trail Riding club. I enjoyed that a lot, but I moved away. I might have to find a new one in my new area.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I have in the past and really enjoyed it! I need to find some time- seems hard with a toddler and a full time job.

I have been watching the local special Olympics swim team at the pool and thought what a blast it would be to help coach (I swam D1 in college.) I just don't think I can reliably be there on a regular basis between my job and DH's travel schedule. I got so much out of swimming in my teens that I really would love to pass that on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I have in the past and really enjoyed it! I need to find some time- seems hard with a toddler and a full time job.

I have been watching the local special Olympics swim team at the pool and thought what a blast it would be to help coach (I swam D1 in college.) I just don't think I can reliably be there on a regular basis between my job and DH's travel schedule. I got so much out of swimming in my teens that I really would love to pass that on to others.

It is always great to have somebody even if just sporadic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yep. I foster puppies in the summers and love every minute of it...until I have to give them away to their new homes

I volunteered at the UN booth last summer in a 4 day environmental expo and it was a blast. My dog is also a therapy dog so we go to the children's hospital once a month. I think I'm going to get him into the reading program, where you go to libraries and kids practice their reading skills by reading to the animals.

OTV - I tried fostering a dog and ended up keeping her. I don't think I'm cut out for fostering!!!

I don't volunteer as much as I should.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I love it. I volunteer at a local national park, and soon will be volunteering along with my girls during costumed reenactments there. We have also volunteered a lot with planting trees and clean-ups and stuff like that. I want my girls to grow up with the feeling of giving back and helping others. I think it will make them more well-rounded adults. When they are old enough, they want to volunteer at the local zoo as well, and I will be very supportive of that

Big time volunteer for the animal rescue group I foster with. MrB and i aren't technically on the Board, but we attend all board meetings and have a say in the decisions made :-) I would love to do more, specifically get my lab therapy certified for nursing home visits, but I find it hard to gather the energy and time since our 'downtime' is all about the foster dogs (we have 18 foster dogs right now, for example, plus our own dogs!). It's actually become a lifestyle rather than a pastime...
    my dad's family grew up with money and a very weird attitude towards volunteerism. They believed it was important to donate money, but frowned upon actual volunteer work. Of course this wasn't something I knew about, and my mom had me volunteering at animal shelters as a kid, but was only revealed when I started this whole 'super fostering' and wondered why my dad wasn't so enthusiastic. Not against it, just a little weird, like i was being taken advantage of, even though all this is my choice.
    It's a very odd mindset but then again my family on that side is just overall kinda off :-) It's also such a shame too because my dad is retired now and lonely. He is a kind and helpful person and could be a huge help to any number of groups but he refuses to become involved aside from helping people he already knows. It would really do wonders for his self esteem and health (more activity) but it just won't happen.
    My mom on the other hand is involved with garden clubs, animal societies, historical preservation, art guilds.....
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I just started volunteering at the local humane society - walking dogs, cleaning, photographing the animals for the website. It's great...until you see the 'X' in the book meaning the animal got euthanized.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I rsvp'd to attend a volunteer orientation at an animal shelter but my fiance found out about it and put his foot down... said I absolutely could not, under any circumstances, volunteer there. (He knows me too well and knew I would end up taking home every animal scheduled to be euth'd.) I had deluded myself into believing I could handle it but I had to agree with him. I must limit my support of the animal shelter to monetary donations only...

So I started volunteering for a therapeutic equestrian program instead. The horses (and riders) are well taken care of so there are no emotional crises for me.

I can't say I'm exactly ENJOYING it right now because it involves hours of walking slowly in circles in freezing cold temps... but it will get better soon. Spring has to come eventually... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    It is always great to have somebody even if just sporadic.
    Thanks! I just looked at their web page and am looking into volunteering for some of their competitions. They even have a program called Fans in the Stands where all you have to do is show up and cheer for the athletes! That is something my whole family can do together. Thank you for the encouragement!

2 members found this post helpful.

I have on and off now for the past 40 years, is my hobby, helping the performance dog club with classes to the public and putting on shows.
    Also helping at the local animal control shelter.

I helped for years, since I was a teenager, with literacy programs, teaching adults to read, write and basic math and teaching foreign workers to speak different languages.

I was just thinking about this in the car today. When Mr. Chai and I got married, I worked full time in an advertising agency and ran a co-op barn. When our kids came along, he wanted me to be an at home Mom. I agreed, and we made a deal that when the kids were grown, I could go back to school to get a Master's Degree in Counseling, but in the meantime, the farm and the kids would be my job.

I threw myself into it, and I took in unwanted animals, from geese to horses, and raised my kids on our farms, volunteering in schools, scouts, the library, coaching soccer and serving on boards and committees, but my favorite volunteer activity was in therapeutic horseback riding. Anunfortunate change late in my husband's career when the children were grown made it impossible to hold up the original bargain, and I had to find a new career without the benefit of an advanced degree, having been out of the workforce for twenty years.

While all those working Moms were out there in the office, I was on the field trips making sure their kids were safe, helping in classroom activities and coaching their kids on the soccer field. I respected their choice but if I had it to do over again, I would have kept my hand in my advertising career. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I was always glad to be able to be there if my kids were sick at school, or to run our small farm and be able to save so many animals, but it was tough to have to start over later in life. However, my volunteer time in Therapeutic Riding gave me a new and wonderful path because I made it my new career. I'll never get rich, and my life has changed from what it was supposed to be, but it's turned out to be an unexpected gift that came from all those years of volunteering.

5 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I have been volunteering at a 'soup kitchen' for homeless/poor people for about 8 years now, and have now started helping with breakfast at another church.

We both believe it is important to give back, to be of service.
    We have been fortunate in our lives, and grateful to be in the position to be able to help.
    We always feel better having done it, too.
    The other volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds, many of them are nursing/medical students working in the community, and the atmosphere is fun/busy/and rewarding.

If you are wondering how you can help, Bill Clinton wrote an excellent book called 'Giving'. There is always something you can do to help others.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

I've had some sort of volunteer job for the better part of the last 20 years. Most recently, I was (am??) a volunteer for the USO at the airport. LOVE it, but since I started riding again, I'm not finding as much time for it as I used to.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I've tried (I think I fail fostering forever since I cried all day yesterday after letting the dog go--I should have kept him. I think I should just get breeds I don't like or something-chis, Boston terriers, ugly dogs like that.) I did all right with handicapped riding programs when I lived near enough to get to them. 4-H is a problem because I am not trying to start my own club and I can't really go hunting down clubs that need help (honestly, TELL ME WHAT TO DO and I will do it), signed up to volunteer for the Home Arts building at Fair so we'll see if they call.

I admit, though, I don't like "people" charities--I'll give money, but I find the more I work with people the less I feel motivated to give them money because they less I like them. I am much more kind to people if I don't have to interact with them. And I VIOLENTLY resent suggestions I go "volunteer" for museums, as I did not spend thousands of dollars getting an MA in a field where pay tends to be low anyway so I could give my labor away for free. It sets a very bad precedent for them not valuing my labor. If a museum wants something from me, they will pay for it (that now goes for lectures too as I'm no longer being reimbursed.) It's amazing the number of "non-profit" or education-oriented employers deliberately attempt to rip off employees by guilting them into volunteering. (The after-school I worked for actually bullied employees into giving up days off for "family volunteer days"for the kids and parents. One reason my manager hated me was I refused to do it as I had other paying work I could do on days off. Pay up or I don't show up if you're my employer.)

I have volunteered alot in various capacities. I have helped out at soup kitchens,, food banks, homeless shelters etc. I have also volunteered for various animal charities. My family raised us to be useful, productive citizens who give back. I would not have it any other way. It always makes me feel like a worthwhile human being when I help out.

2 members found this post helpful.

I do a good bit, as much as my schedule will allow basically. What I find is that it usually comes back as a benefit. I have a church or youth group come down and someone that is associated with that group begins riding with me.
    More fun that writing a check for an ad in the paper and I love seeing the smiles.
    I also help with my church and 4-H, always rewarding.

I've done time consuming things and not so time consuming things. Always worth while.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible