The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    I fasten my hind leg straps so that they attach to the same side they come from, but I run one through the other first. I have come to find out that in my area, nobody does this. They attach the right to the left, left to the right.
    I do it the same way you do. Was taught to do that while a working student in a BHS program, almost 40 years ago.

Interesting. I have always crossed mine (in the midwest), but just noticed someone at the barn for the first time doing it like the OP.

Whatever floats people's boats, I think. I've had no issues with rubbing and I have two weirdo horses that spend a lot of time rolling and bucking and twisting.

The main thing is that they cross - just to add my input to this important (!)
    discussion. For me, on my own, it is easier to go left/left and right/right,
    rather than groping round under the horse.

I've learned that there is a right length, too, or a leg will get caught and break the strap at the point of attachment if it is too long, and the blanket will slip to one side.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Agree - go Rambo. No straps, no turn

I've done it both ways, and slightly prefer the OP's way. Really, though, the main thing is that they cross.

I do it the way the OP does it. As long as they are safe (not hanging down their leg, etc) I see nothing wrong with doing them however you like best.

I have learned that people feel very strongly about how their leg straps are done up so any time I am dealing with a horse that is not mine I make sure I take note of how the straps are done so I redo them the way I found them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Supposedly, crossing them and attaching on the same side, as the OP does, helps to keep the blanket from twisting, since the stress is all on one side. I have always done them that way. I did also read somewhere that fly sheets are the only type you should not cross, so they can swish the tail underneath.

I couldn't tell you which side is fastening where. I twist em together in the middle and the first one I grab goes close to me, the second one . . . far.

My trainer didn't quite have a hissy but I've managed not to put a blanket on while we've been at her place - it's all good.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I have learned that people feel very strongly about how their leg straps are done up so any time I am dealing with a horse that is not mine I make sure I take note of how the straps are done so I redo them the way I found them.
    I agree, and as someone who prefers leg straps be done a certain way I really appreciate your extra effort ensuring things are done the way you found them. It can be very frustrating when someone wants something done a certain way and someone else doesn't really care either way, yet they don't make the effort to do things the preferred way. If the second person doesn't mind either way, then why not go with the flow and make the first person happy? I've resorted to putting tail straps on all my blankets to avoid the issue.

I always cross them. It stops them rubbing on the horse.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

We were taught to do it the way OP does, when we were little kids in riding school. The other way is to cross them and secure on opposite side.

I don't think people teach that in pony club now. I see horses at barns with their leg straps hanging way below their hocks; with their surcingles hanging way down so that yes, their legs get caught in them when they lie down; and the fronts of their blankets with a 2 or 3 inch gap. And their owners wonder why the blankets get trashed in the pastures and stalls. Oh, and the blankets are always one or two sizes too big for the horses. (The worst is the too small bits, which people now put vaseline on the sides where the bit pinches the horse's mouth! Who taught that?)

We were taught to loop the leg straps through each other in order to help keep the rug straight, as much as possible, on the horse.

I do as the OP does, but not for runbbing. It is the best way to keep a blanket righted. R/R and L/L w/o crossing and R/L and L/R can both allow the blanket to slip sideways. Anymore thought I just prefer the Horseware lines!

I cross all mine and have never had a problem. Occasionally we have torn leg straps but I have a blanket repair business so that's never been an issue for me.