The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else just not like parties?

Seems like even if I get invited to a party where I really like the people,
    I'll be all excited to go until the day of. Then, I decide I really don't want to go. Part of it is just not having a lot of interest in socializing in groups. Part of it is needing a whole lot of down time for "recharge." Mostly I just really do NOT enjoying parties-they make me even kinda nauseous, all the chatter, voices, hmmm, maybe I'm on some "spectrum." Yea, like the introvert spectrum.

However my BF is from another culture and I LOVE their parties. Everyone sits around in one big circle, one conversation going on at once. Love them!

I'm wondering tho, anyone else out there reluctant to admit to yourself and others that you do not like parties?

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I like get-togethers. I don't like parties.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Not a fan. I have a hard time hearing in normal situations, and trying to socialize at a party is very difficult. I'll go for a while, but I don't like to stay long.

It took me a long time to realize it was my hearing difficulties that caused the problem. It's too bad, but I like to get together with friends in smaller groups...preferably without background music.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

-raises hand-

I go to one a year, a friend's xmas get together, where i know pretty much everyone and it's never more than ten ppl at once.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I'm like this as well.

I also do not like parties. I can tolerate SMALL get togethers though.

You mean the kind where I have to get dressed up and go out after dark?
    No.
    Informal, everyone sit around, buffet food get-togethers are fine. I am not a conversationalist by any stretch of the imagination so don't like to have to be "on".

Never have, never will. I finally accept this about myself and wish I hadn't taken so long to figure out that it's completely OK.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

2 members found this post helpful.

Can't stand parties. Also don't like get togethers. I'm a social hermit. I like to say that I have a lot of acquaintances, but very few friends, and I'm perfectly happy that way.

I really don't care much for parties either. It takes a lot to convince myself to go to one.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm not reluctant about admitting it - I hate parties. I hate the small talk and having to pretend to be interested and knowing that the other person is probably also pretending to be interested. I'm never excited about parties!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    This as well.

Sometimes I have to force myself to go,but then I have a good time. It helps that I live in an equestrian neighborhood, so there is always good horse chat! Our life style of early am chores/riding dosen't lend itself well to the "party" mentality! In bed by 10 is my usual routine. You would be surprised at how many non-horsey people ask me about riding, my horse,etc. I always try to turn the conversation back around to them so I don't monopolize the interaction. Once a year I go to a fancy palm beach party where I have to really "clean up good" lol.

It depends on the kind of party, I guess. If it's the kind of low key, quiet thing where I can have a conversation with a person one-on-one, I'm OK. If it's loud and raucous I just don't know what to do with myself.

I am not hard of hearing (I don't think) but I have a REALLY hard time filtering sounds. If there is loud music or voices, everyone else seems to have no trouble hearing each other but I can't understand anyone. Not that I can't hear them exactly, I can't understand them; all the sounds muddle together to me. That just gets frustrating and tiresome.

Nope, I don't care for parties. I, too, suspect that I have something more going on than just not liking parties like maybe having social anxiety disorder or being on some kind of spectrum. I am an introvert for sure so maybe its just too much "noise", too much going on all at once. I will take a quiet barnful of horses happily munching on their hay anyday!

I wish people were more understanding of those of us that don't enjoy lots of stimulation from the environment that we are in. I know people, including some members of my family, think I'm weird because I don't really care much for parties and "going out". They don't understand how uncomfortable and not enjoyable it is for those of us that have whatever makes us this way.

ex-racer owner nailed it.
    Now when I drank I could do it, but that was why drinking was a bad idea, IMO, I was suing it as a crutch, to medicate.
    I still go to some, but standing around not drinking [and having everyone ask over and over why not] and then having about 0 to talk about with DHs friends... eh it just sucks.

I have a hard time getting myself out of the house, but once I get there I am fine.

After tagging along to get-togethers with my parents and working in retail I am pretty good at talking to just about anyone, I'd like to think. Recently I attended a church potluck where I was the only person under fifty! (group of six of us) and I had a great time just chatting away.

However I really struggle with commitments in the evenings. I have a lot less motivation at night to go places, and if I can rationalize a way to get out of it I tend to. However since moving to a new city last year I am really working on making commitments and sticking to them and showing up on time. All things that I struggle with. So I don't purposefully over-commit myself (two or three social events in a week is plenty for me) but I also am doing better to actually show up and be present for the things that I do want to do.

I'm not really a fan of parties. I enjoy my peace and quiet.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I will only go to the rare parties that my best friend and her husband give because they invite just a few people who are almost always fun and interesting. I am glad to know I am not the only one who has trouble filtering out conversations when there is a noisy background. It's been a source of social discomfort and embarrassment for me much of my life, and I'm already not very socially confident, so it makes matters worse.

I like to host them. Hate to go to other people's parties. I'm a bit selfish that way I guess!