The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Agree with bluebuckets on the importance of broader management. Look at adding alfalfa and trying to split feed into as many feedings as possible to decrease sugar spikes and time spent with an empty stomach.

I also keep a few tubes of UlcerGuard on hand-preventatively treat for high stress situations- shows, major weather events, etc.

Take a look at SmartSox for hoof support. About a month after I started giving it to my mare, my farrier was raving about how much better her feet looked and how much hoof had grown. That was before I'd told him about the addition of SmartSox. We also use the Senior herb free & it seems to help.

1 members found this post helpful.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Angry Head/desk!! SmartPak is maddening!

So after all the studying, and decision making, I call up SmartPak, where I have spent over $4000 in the past 14 months on equipment, SmartPaks, meds, etc. on my one horse.

The Senior Supplement without herbs is $39.95 a month. I ask to discontinue the others (Isoxuprine, etc). Am told because it is under $40, I now have to pay shipping of $8+. We're talking about a 5 cent difference! I spent over a half hour on the phone with them, speaking with 2 different reps, who, of course, tried to get me to add more into the supplement mix - and all of which would add another 10-15 a month (why do I want to do this when their combination was close to what I was looking for - why add in other ingredients?!?) Tell them I might add the Bug-off in the summer, but not now. If I decide in the future to try injections, I may very well get it through them.

They adamantly refused, saying the system was not set up for it. Last word from a supervisor. Told them they are losing me as a customer for everything - no more meds, equipment, shots, nothing. They refused.

Guess I'm maddest at myself. Would never in the past, have spent this kind of money - not the way it was "in the good ole days".

Last edited by CVPeg; Feb. 22, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My vet is Alamo Pintado, I believe it was the owners son who made Platinum Performance, so I am kinda biased. But, every horse I see on Platinum performance is the shining perfection star of health. Always perfect weight, perfect skin/coat and very little health issues (obviously older horses get joint supps, my trainer 3 year old paralyzed her face in a freak accident so she gets vit e/selenium, little stuff like that!)

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    So after all the studying, and decision making, I call up SmartPak, where I have spent over $4000 in the past 14 months on equipment, SmartPaks, meds, etc. on my one horse.

The Senior Supplement without herbs is $39.95 a month. I ask to discontinue the others (Isoxuprine, etc). Am told because it is under $40, I now have to pay shipping of $8+. We're talking about a 5 cent difference! I spent over a half hour on the phone with them, speaking with 2 different reps, who, of course, tried to get me to add more into the supplement mix - and all of which would add another 10-15 a month (why do I want to do this when their combination was close to what I was looking for - why add in other ingredients?!?) Tell them I might add the Bug-off in the summer, but not now. If I decide in the future to try injections, I may very well get it through them.

They adamantly refused, saying the system was not set up for it. Last word from a supervisor. Told them they are losing me as a customer for everything - no more meds, equipment, shots, nothing. They refused.

Guess I'm maddest at myself. Would never in the past, have spent this kind of money - not the way it was "in the good ole days".

Sorry, OP, but that's a well documented policy of theirs, and it has been for awhile. Why should you be so special to get a reprieve on it?

5 members found this post helpful.

HorseTech makes some very nice, flax-based, multi-purpose supplements if feeding supplements makes you feel better (trust me, I know how that goes!):

http://horsetech.com/reitsport-ha-100.html

http://horsetech.com/glanzen-gl.html

Hmm. They have Barn Saver Shipping, in which anything sent to your barn (on your specified one shipping day of the week) is shipped for free, regardless of cost. I don't know why they wouldn't tell you about that...?
    For funsies I put my gelding's info into their supplement suggester thing to see if it would suggest supplements to help balance his new hay-and-oats diet, and help with his gassiness. What it suggested would help neither, but still totaled over $170 a month, for a pretty healthy low maintenance horse. Thanks but no thanks.
    I'm also a little irritated by how much they seem to push supplements in their little booklet that they periodically send out, in which they never cite any sources for the the information they expouse, such as the detriment of feeding vegetable oil/omega 6 fatty acids.
    I guess that was a bit of a rant :/. I'm not a huge SmartPak fan.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Sorry, OP, but that's a well documented policy of theirs, and it has been for awhile. Why should you be so special to get a reprieve on it?
    It's called customer courtesy. But I know that's disappeared now for many years. And I wasn't looking to undercut them up front - just chose what was best for my horse, and they immediately announced no free shipping.

On the other hand, if they cared, why not price it at $40 so it meets their criteria?

Or, their inability to resolve an issue because a computer is programmed a certain way.

Had this discussion with others yesterday who have been confused by the arrangements Smartpak makes for some, but not for others.

And, I think I'm special since I spent more money with them than any other provider last year. Was a good customer.

It is nice that there are so many other options out there. And that we don't all have to bow down to the SmartPak way of "doing business". As nice and friendly as all the service reps are...

It's called customer courtesy. But I know that's disappeared now for many years. And I wasn't looking to undercut them up front - just chose what was best for my horse, and they immediately announced no free shipping.

On the other hand, if they cared, why not price it at $40 so it meets their criteria?

Or, their inability to resolve an issue because a computer is programmed a certain way.

Had this discussion with others yesterday who have been confused by the arrangements Smartpak makes for some, but not for others.

And, I think I'm special since I spent more money with them than any other provider last year. Was a good customer.

It is nice that there are so many other options out there. And that we don't all have to bow down to the SmartPak way of "doing business". As nice and friendly as all the service reps are...
    Yes, but if they give you that courtesy for that 5 cents, what about the person who has a SP that comes to $39.50? Do they deserve the same courtesy? I mean, it's 50 cents. And if they get it, what about the one who has one that comes to an even $39? It's just a dollar. See where I'm going with this? I am all for customer courtesy and service, but there are times where a line has to be drawn. Unfortunately, the line was 5 cents more than you wanted to spend. It happens, but they ARE a business. They have policies that they have set in place to be as customer friendly as they can possibly be....unfortunately, it didn't work out for you.

3 members found this post helpful.

For me, it is substantially cheaper to buy the supplements elsewhere and package them myself. Like $35 a month cheaper. Since they have stopped price matching and their prices on most items are high, I've pretty much quit shopping there.

2 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

I realize they are a business, Yellowbritches - but that's my point entirely.

Sometimes in business, you do have to figure out a way to make things work, to make the people who have continued to do business with you stay happy. It has changed a great deal over the years. I'm am an old gal, and can remember the days when retailers used to bend over for you to be happy - not glare at you when you come into the store 15 minutes before closing.

And frankly, have to say I was pleasantly surprised when Dover kept their door open for me a few weeks back, when I thought I was running out of time to look at helmets. Now they have a policy of closing at 8, or 9 or whenever it was, but stayed until I was done shopping - 20 minutes after the hour.

I don't think I'm special, but am angered when I've spent a lot of money at an establishment, and get a black and white response from a business who hasn't figured out anything but accounting. It is still people that buy, not merely the credit card at the end of their arm.

To get your Smartpak over $40, you can select something cheap, like MSM or a flax supplement, choose the "custom dose" option, and add in as little as .125 of a scoop. Perhaps not the best, but it will get you over $40 and is less than $8 for the shipping.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    To get your Smartpak over $40, you can select something cheap, like MSM or a flax supplement, choose the "custom dose" option, and add in as little as .125 of a scoop. Perhaps not the best, but it will get you over $40 and is less than $8 for the shipping.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried that, but the only conversation they would have with me is adding in a whole 'nother supplement, the cheapest suggestion being $11, so over the $8 shipment. First I had chosen the Senior, which was $34, then realized it had to be herb free to pass USEF, so that upped it to $39.95 ($40 to me).

I would almost consider going back there, but additional conversations so totally implied that they could care less if I was removing my business, that I've about had it with them at this point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    You may want to get a second opinion... To me prescribing vitamine E and Isox to a horse that's been diagnosed with kissing spine and arthritis doesn't add up.
    I know little about Isox, but Vitamin E is routinely recommended for horses that don't get much grazing time. The OP's horse came off the E when she moved him to pasture board, so that makes sense.

OP: do try the hock injections. It sounds like a lot of the issues could be related to having sore hocks.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I buy a product from a company that gives free shipping on orders over $200. I do not think its a coincidence their most popular supplement is $199. I don't have a problem with smartpak charging you shipping because you don't quite make $40. I agree with those who say they have to draw a line somewhere. Yes you spend a lot of money with them. So do other people, if everyone got them to change their policy "just for them" it would quickly begin to affect their business model. So, I guess you can leave them, or suck it up and pay what the rest of us do.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Vitamin E is routinely recommended for horses that don't get much grazing time. The OP's horse came off the E when she moved him to pasture board, so that makes sense.
    It doesn't cost much to run a blood panel on a horse. Then you know whether or not it needs vitamin E. I'm not a big fan of adding something because it's "routine" or because you think it will help.

BTW -- my horse DOES get vitamin E because his blood work showed a deficiency.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I think it is a bit of overkill to worry about USEF regs at this point. You aren't showing at all yet and presumably would start with unrated shows in the beginning, no? That said, I had my horse on Smart Senior for a couple of years but took him off in favor of weekly Pentosan injections. He has never been better (at 25 years old)

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    For funsies I put my gelding's info into their supplement suggester thing to see if it would suggest supplements to help balance his new hay-and-oats diet, and help with his gassiness. What it suggested would help neither, but still totaled over $170 a month, for a pretty healthy low maintenance horse. Thanks but no thanks.
    I'm also a little irritated by how much they seem to push supplements in their little booklet that they periodically send out, in which they never cite any sources for the the information they expouse, such as the detriment of feeding vegetable oil/omega 6 fatty acids.
    Yeah, I tried their supplement wizard for my pretty much healthy horse too. Given that they don't ask you what type of grain you feed or a lot of other questions, I was pretty surprised that their recommendations ran from a low of $86/month to a high of $197/month. See my blog post about it.

You really can't determine supplements without taking your whole feeding package into account. There are also many simple changes that you can try before going full tilt. Of course, selling supplements is their business. It's easy to look at their materials and consider them helpful and then forget that the goal is to get you to buy stuff.

For the record, I do feed MSM daily and Corta-Flx. Total cost per day? $0.86.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Yeah, I tried their supplement wizard for my pretty much healthy horse too. Given that they don't ask you what type of grain you feed or a lot of other questions, I was pretty surprised that their recommendations ran from a low of $86/month to a high of $197/month. See my blog post about it.
    After they recommended supplements that would have cost almost as much per month than I paid in board on my pretty healthy young mare in light work, I decided to see if there was EVER a situation where they would say, "Nope, you're good. Keep on keeping on."

I think it took me 5-6 tries before I got that answer.

Marketing genious, but they pretty much lost my business at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    After they recommended supplements that would have cost almost as much per month than I paid in board on my pretty healthy young mare in light work, I decided to see if there was EVER a situation where they would say, "Nope, you're good. Keep on keeping on."

I think it took me 5-6 tries before I got that answer.

Marketing genious, but they pretty much lost my business at that point.
    The really annoying thing is that making people feel like they're taking better care of their horse by feeding it 6 different powders and potions every day for the sake of making as much money off them as possible may be detrimental to the horse's health. I'm all about having places that supply a wide range of supplements that I might want. I am really turned off by having them pushed so hard at horses that probably don't need them, and even more so when the science justifying their use is weak or non-existent.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Devil's advocate...but NO ONE is forcing people to buy supplements.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

4 members found this post helpful.