The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arab peeps, registry question

Hi all, I have a 63/64 Arab and I'm trying to find out what the 1/64 is, since I get asked that a lot. I'm not a member of AHA, so I don't have access to their registry database. The non-pure Arab is the tail female, her name is BHR Jewel Basket, half-Arab # 2A246953. I believe she was a black & white tobiano. So, maybe QH? Saddlebred? mutt? And what was the Arab bloodline?

Thanks for any help.

I'm confused - is BHR Jewel Basket your horse or your horse's dam?

I tried looking her up on all breed pedigrees and she isn't there.

Just FYI, you can buy a one-day pass on Datasource for 9.95 even if you aren't an AHA member.

Also, your horse cannot be 63/64 if her dam has a 2 in front of her registration number. I realize that she might unofficially have more Arab blood, but technically your horse can only be 75%. Here's the scheme:

1A=1/2
    2A=3/4
    3A=7/8
    4A=15/16
    5A=31/32
    6A=63/64
    7A=127/128
    8A=255/256
    9A=511/512

If anyone is going to help you, they need your horse's information as well.

Try data source, it's worth the 9.95 to get the answer you want.

ETA: After a little more Googling, I see that BHR JB must be further back in your horse's pedigree. So you can ignore the lecture about the registration #'s. But still - Datasource!
    Last edited by oldernewbie; Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks Oldernewbie. BHR JB is 6 generations back from my horse. So if I understand your scheme, it looks like she is 3/4 Arab and therefore the pure non-Arab bit is even further back. I've tried the all breeds pedigree and get close to her, but she is not showing up anywhere. Thanks, I'll subscribe to Datasource. Or maybe I'll tell everyone he's an Arab and leave it at that.

Did a quick search for you and it appears that that tail female's registered name could be BHR BASKET OJEWELS not BHR Jewel Basket. Can you confirm oldernewbie?

If so, here's your line...
    This mare with tail female BHR Jewel Basket = EXTRAVEGANCE SS (Pedigree)

BHR BASKET OJEWELS = Pedigree and you can find a breakdown of her non arab dam here: BHR DAKOTA KAMAL

Hope this helps!

Thanks Ms Raven. Extravegance SS is, in fact, the dam of my horse (I obviously had the generations back bit wrong...). However, in his registration papers, that tail female 4 generations back is shown as BHR Jewel Basket. Does AHA ever change names? Where does the information in all breeds pedigree come from?

I probably need to contact AHA... All this doesn't amount to a hill of beans as my horse is a gelding. But I'm just curious.

I looked up Extravegance SS on Datasource and traced back to the non-Arabian mare, "Felicity", who is just listed as grade, so it appears that AHA is not going to be able to provide better information than what ms raven found. AHA is really only concerned with the Arabian parts of the "Half-Arabian" pedigrees.

Thank you Dawn!

You are welcome. Sorry there wasn't more info available. I hope you are enjoying your horse. That's what matters the most. :-)

You are so right. I love him, he has a forever home with me. And he knows it.

1 members found this post helpful.

You're welcome Ginger. Glad it helped some. I'm not sure if names are changed in the registry often but I do know that anyone can edit info and or create new entries in allbreed. There are quite a few errors and sometimes multiple entries for one horse with slight variations in spellings.

I would think that the name you have listed on your boys' papers is probably correct. If BHR Jewel Basket's sire and dam are FLEETWINDS IBDAAR and BHR DAKOTA KAMAL I can create a new entry and fix it for you.