The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Save me! Stop dogs barking at night.

I recently moved to Costa Rica, and on "base" (the compound where we live and work) we have two puppies. They're really cute and sweet and about a year old. They are very smart, have had some basic training, but definitely have some holes in their training. I intend to work on that.

One thing I'm at a loss about... they bark ALL night. How do I stop this?

I know the first step is to put a "no" on them. But what's next? My roommate will go out and get them when they start barking, but I feel like that's a reward. "If you bark, someone will wake up and come say hi to you!"

Help please!

Oh, and I'm sure shock or citronella collars are not in our budget.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Are they outside at night?

You can get the innotek refurbished spray collars on ebay for $20...might be worth it until you can start working with them and their training. Also, maybe if they came inside they wouldnt bark, or is this not allowed?

Are they crate trained? Maybe that will help them settle at night. Also, tired puppies are happy puppies! Maybe an intense play session right before bed will help them sleep through the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

they are outside at night?
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Inside (Crate) with bark collars. I feel bad for your neighbors no offense.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

you should never punish a dog for barking.. bark collars do just that.

if you don't want them to bark, you need to bring them inside. dogs are not outside animals, and it is unfair to keep them tethered to a post outside. they are probably barking at the various animals (costa rica has a lot of interesting fauna, i've heard). dogs dont often bark just to hear themselves make noise.

if they are outside at night because of potty issues, invest in a crate for both of them.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    you should never punish a dog for barking.. bark collars do just that.

if you don't want them to bark, you need to bring them inside. dogs are not outside animals, and it is unfair to keep them tethered to a post outside. they are probably barking at the various animals (costa rica has a lot of interesting fauna, i've heard). dogs dont often bark just to hear themselves make noise.

if they are outside at night because of potty issues, invest in a crate for both of them.

Huh??? Ever hear of a farm dog before? How are they supposed to do their "job" if they're inside sleeping on your bed? And if you think they don't ever bark for no reason you've never met my neighbors lovely Pomeranians!

I found out that one of our dogs was nuisance barking in the kennel while we
    were at work. I bought one of the mild shock collars and it did the trick- no barking unless there was a real reason to do so.

My Great Pyrenees is most definitely NOT an inside animal! LOL I still let him in for visits but he makes a mess and wants back out within minutes!

I think I get where you're going with that but you should be more specific since there are lots of dogs that very much do belong outside.

Yes, they are outside dogs. No, they are not being treated "unfairly." In my next life, I want to come back as these dogs. They have access to the whole property to run and play and all day and night or they have a little dog house type area if they want.

We don't really have neighbors here, and only our house and the instructor's house has issues with this since they stay up here most of the night. You really don't even hear them in the student dorms (we've checked).

I'll bring up bringing them inside again. The problem is they get FILTHY and there is just no way to clean and dry them enough here. There also isn't room for two crates large enough to house these dogs comfortably. Our house is a tico house (read: itty bitty) so that wouldn't work. I'll discuss bringing them in again, but I know the two veteran girls are really against that since they make the house so much dirtier.

Can we crate them outside? I would feel bad then if other creatures came up to visit and they are stuck in their crates.

Quote Originally Posted by certifiedgirl View Post
    Huh??? Ever hear of a farm dog before? How are they supposed to do their "job" if they're inside sleeping on your bed? And if you think they don't ever bark for no reason you've never met my neighbors lovely Pomeranians!
    Just because the reason is unbeknownst to you does not make it any less of a reason.

And, not to start a flame war, but there is no real reason for a dog to be tied outside anymore. Farm dogs? Do you really think in a cultured society that there is a need for "full time outside dog" these days? Dogs have outlived their usefulness as far as being "outside animals" and unless there are chupecabras running amok in Costa Rica, I don't see why they belong outside. I've seen plenty of farm dogs that have "real jobs" (and I don't mean the farm dogs that lounge under the tractor all day) and they were never left outside. They always had either a bed of their own in their owner's house or a kennel in a sheltered "dog coop".

My point being these dogs are obviously not in the Himalayan steppes guarding livestock from wolves - and were very likely not bred to do so. Meaning, they do not belong outside. It is one thing if your livelihood is your livestock and you are in an underdeveloped country - those dogs differ vastly from their coddled canine cousins. If there is no place in your heart or your home for your dog, then there is no place for you to be owning one.

And at OP, this isn't a direct attack at you, since it sounds like they were there before you ever arrived and you are just trying to help them. Try to see if you can bring them in. If they are inside at night, they will get a lot less dirty.. and probably will not bark often. Kudos to you for trying.

EDIT: Would not suggest crating them in the open, as this will make them more upset - they will be able to see everything and not be able to escape from it. My worry would be if something big came along.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    Just because the reason is unbeknownst to you does not make it any less of a reason.

And, not to start a flame war, but there is no real reason for a dog to be tied outside anymore. Farm dogs? Do you really think in a cultured society that there is a need for "full time outside dog" these days? Dogs have outlived their usefulness as far as being "outside animals" and unless there are chupecabras running amok in Costa Rica, I don't see why they belong outside. I've seen plenty of farm dogs that have "real jobs" (and I don't mean the farm dogs that lounge under the tractor all day) and they were never left outside. They always had either a bed of their own in their owner's house or a kennel in a sheltered "dog coop".

My point being these dogs are obviously not in the Himalayan steppes guarding livestock from wolves - and were very likely not bred to do so. Meaning, they do not belong outside. It is one thing if your livelihood is your livestock and you are in an underdeveloped country - those dogs differ vastly from their coddled canine cousins. If there is no place in your heart or your home for your dog, then there is no place for you to be owning one.
    Not true. A friend of mine has an alpaca farm and has 8 to 10 Great Pyrs as guard dogs. They live outside and keep the coyote population down.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Reactive barking from outside dogs is something that is very difficult to train away. By the time you have woken up and gone outside, the window of fair correction has closed.

You can ignore it and just accept it as one of those things that you have to put up with when dogs are kept outside like that, or you can put bark collars on them. The collars don't have to be electric, necessarily. Citronella collars can be effective, as can collars set to vibrate. My advice would be to NOT use the type where you are giving the correction. Your timing has to be really good, and the middle of the night is not the time to work on it. Purchase the type that react automatically to the bark.

I will say that by allowing them free rein throughout the property, with the decisions being left up to them (I think you mentioned that they have free run of the property, can decide where they go and what they do), has set them up to do just what they are doing: decide when and what to do. Some of it is positive (or at least neutral), such as them running and playing together. Some is not so positive, such as them barking at night. You can't expect them to know when it is okay to do what they want, and when it is not in this situation.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Not true. A friend of mine has an alpaca farm and has 8 to 10 Great Pyrs as guard dogs. They live outside and keep the coyote population down.
    I still know some people with LGDs, and they do sleep outside with their flock. I think that dogs specifically bred to guard livestock that sleep outdoors with their flock is a big difference from a dog being outside alone. In this case there are two dogs, which is much better than one being alone outside and I do realize that. I don't think that every dog should be indoors at night, but I do think that LGDs are very different from most dogs because they are bonded to their flock that they are protecting. When a dog doesn't have that flock or hasn't been bred to bond to a flock, it is a different situation.
    As for the OP, do you know what they are barking at? If they are barking in response to noise or other animals outside, then that might be part of the problem. If it were possible to have them kenneled in an indoor area - like a garage - at night that might be easier. Other than that, the only thing that I can suggest is exercise. Even if they have a large area to run around and play, most dogs do not exercise themselves very well. If you can go outside and throw a ball for them or take them on a walk, that might help settle them a bit. Bark collars can work, but in that situation I would be a little bit afraid that if another animal could get at them, they couldn't bark or make noise to keep it away without getting shocked. I have no opposition to bark collars, but I am wondering if that wouldn't be an issue in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I think that dogs specifically bred to guard livestock that sleep outdoors with their flock is a big difference from a dog being outside alone.
    Agreed. Would certainly hope these aren't wild Kangal dogs running around in Costa Rica *-*

Thanks for the insight. It costs a fortune to import anything here, but I'll check out ebay and see if the next person traveling here can bring some collars.

beowulf- I'm not taking offense, but you should take a trip down here and see how most dogs live. The lucky ones have someone who feeds them most days, but many just roam the streets looking for garbage to eat. These dogs are fed twice daily, get to be near us at home or in the office all day, get loved on by many people, and get to roam our large property when they're not being taken out for walks or runs. Living outside (with proper shelter if they want it) in a fair weather place like Costa Rica, is not a bad thing at all.

Oh, and bringing them in at night won't keep them any cleaner. They play in rivers all day then run and roll through the jungle. They're pretty much constantly muddy.

Thank you for those of you giving suggestions I can work with. Please notice that I'm not blaming the dogs, and I know that this is part of their normal behavior. That's why I'm asking what I can do to teach them otherwise. Because if we continue to get no sleep, none of us are going to be very forgiving or fair trainers anymore.

I'm no stranger to a rampant feral dog population. It is very sad and is never okay. I hope your supervisor is willing to work with you to make these dogs happy/healthy! In the mean time I'd love to hear what you're doing with them.

Terriers are notorious for barking, and 2 are worse than 1!

If you have the authority, put them in kennels overnight. I would get one elevated off the ground- about 2 feet, with a 'room' and a yard (also elevated) they can move out in. Our working sheep and cattle dogs are commonly kept in such units. Something like these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/services/ot...-535056790.htm

For my own dog which barked when ever he was left alone I bought a Viatek Ultrasonic bark control unit. It's wall mounted and is triggered by the dog barking and you can use it whether they are kenneled or chained.
    It worked very well with my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonders12 View Post
    I recently moved to Costa Rica, and on "base" (the compound where we live and work) we have two puppies.
    "we have two puppies", would indicate that these are your pets?

They're really cute and sweet and about a year old. They are very smart, have had some basic training, but definitely have some holes in their training. I intend to work on that.
    that's good.

One thing I'm at a loss about... they bark ALL night. How do I stop this?
    don't leave them out.

I know the first step is to put a "no" on them.
    By the time you hear them, and get out to them, it's to late as they are already practicing the behavior.

But what's next? My roommate will go out and get them when they start barking, but I feel like that's a reward. "If you bark, someone will wake up and come say hi to you!"
    go out and get them? Like bring them in? If that's the case, they should have been brought in much earlier.

From what I've read furthe down, these dogs run loose. THAT is your first problem. Most good dog trainers limit the environmental stim. These dogs aren't bonded to you if they are running loose all day, doing whatever they want. If they aren't bonded to you, they don't care about cooperating with you.

Today, in a different thread, I posted a link to Michael Ellis who is a top notch dog trainer, specializing in the protection sports (tho he does everything). One of the things he says is that if what you have isn't something the dog wants, it won't work. What do you have the dog(s) want?

there will be no quick or easy fix here.