The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

in my early 20's I worked in a fast food place during college.
    We saw A LOT
    Naked people in their vehicles in the drive - thru The guy that ate half his sandwich and wanted a refund because it wasn't good... apparently I wasn't fast enough for him & he started swearing and threw the food at me.
    OR the lady in front of me at Super Warlmart a few years ago... with the remains of one of those JUMBO lobsters... they wanted AND GOT a refund even though the lobster was EATEN because "it wasn't soft shell". Seriously? are you flipping kidding me? And there are many many many more. Doing retail through the holidays at a local tack shop (never again)... well. I like people a lot less than I used to. People that don't measure for anything & then flipped out on me because the blanket/boots/half chaps/helmet doesn't fit. So it' MY fault you can't/didn't/ won't measure? I do agree... It should be a requirement for people to work retail / food service for at least a month... during the holidays.
    ....... pausing

A friend was the night manager at a Jack in the Box years ago, when they still had a jack statue to talk to for orders. They had to call the police on one drunk, the man kept talking to Jack like he was real, and refused to move his car out of the way. There were also tons of naked people, and naked people doing things too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Perhaps he was OLDER? and not up on the store hours? and hungry?

Really?? The "how am I going to eat guilt trip"? Do you really think that old folks pry their way into grocery stores to give you a "guilt trip"?

I hope I never become as jaded as you seem. Old folks do some strange things.
    Look out , one day you will be old and hopefully, for your sake, when that happens to you, people will be more tolerant of you, than you are of others, at this point of time in your life..
    Perhaps ask the seniors at the retirement community where I have worked for 2+ years (and am quite popular amongst the residents) tell you how jaded and intolerant of senior citizens I am.

This wasn't some guy who got confused and wandered in - those doors take some force to open! (And he came in through the clearly marked exit door - the entrance & exit doors are separated by about 8 feet, so not side by side). And as for the "guilt trip" - there are 3 grocery stores within a 5 minute drive of our store who were not closing early for an event that day; I'm sure one of them would be happy to sell him some food. (Yes he drove - car was in the lot).

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaret SK View Post
    Perhaps ask the seniors at the retirement community where I have worked for 2+ years (and am quite popular amongst the residents) tell you how jaded and intolerant of senior citizens I am.

This wasn't some guy who got confused and wandered in - those doors take some force to open! (And he came in through the clearly marked exit door - the entrance & exit doors are separated by about 8 feet, so not side by side). And as for the "guilt trip" - there are 3 grocery stores within a 5 minute drive of our store who were not closing early for an event that day; I'm sure one of them would be happy to sell him some food. (Yes he drove - car was in the lot).

So, he was one of those rogue old guys, busting into the grocery store to prove how tough he was?

ETA I too, have worked with "old folks" (eons ago) and know that many people who work with the elderly DON"T have the patience required, to care for them properly and kindly.
    I have had to "terminate" (I've always hated that term) several people because of their lack of patience and empathy toward their patients.

Your post seemed to me to lack empathy and I am (somewhat) surprised that you work with the elderly.
    Of course posts on the internet are easy to "misread" because tone of voice and facial expression are absent. I apologize, if you are really an advocate for old folks you are to be commended, your post just didn't reflect that..
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 20, 2013 at 08:50 PM.