The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EquiFit Silver CleanWash?

Saw this product and was thinking about ordering it for my Lymphangitis prone gelding. He has some odd scabs/scar tissue just above his coronet band on his LH hoof. They are painful to him if you mess with them. Vet took a scraping and it came back inconclusive but she is really recommending trying to get rid of them because she thinks it may help prevent the Lymphangitis flaring up yearly.

I'm not so sure seeing as how it flares up the same exact time every year, (late july-early august) but hey, if it saves me the insane cost of meds and vet bills then it is worth it I guess.

So has anyone had any luck with the Silver Clean Wash healing odd scabs/scar tissue/growths?

My horse has had odd scabs for years that haven't been healed after being tested (showed infection and he did months of doxy). I'm currently trying a "magic" concoction from my vet that seems to be helping, but the Equifit Silver CleanWash did nothing. It was nice because it rinses out easily, but not worth the cost.

If you go to my blog you can see pictures of what his spots looked like and how they are now. I caused trouble in the beginning by giving him rubs from my wrappings (vet wanted them on 24/7 but my horse is too sensitive), but all the really bad spots we started with are almost gone. I could let you know what's in my concoction if you are interested.

I had a horse that had nasty fungus/scabs, and I treated with iodine and listerine same way I would any other skin fungus like rain rot - cleared it up no problem. I found that keeping the feet dry helped. seemed to be worse when it was wet out or they were playing in the mud.