The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I'm sitting here LMAO as I read. Thanks gads I don't have to eat your cooking or you mine Although I do tend to cook differently when it's for guests. I know I'm very select in how my food is cooked.
    I can't & will not eat any meat that is even slightly still pink. I like my meat dead before I consume it. However my SO has perfected cooking any type of meat for me so it is DEAD, yet still moist.
    Burgers can not be even slightly squishy....shudders.... I like them dry.
    Eggs also need to be thoroughly cooked. There's nothing worse than having slimy/moist scrambled eggs.
    Ok I'll quit as I'm sure most of you are rolling your eyes at me....lol

Ricotta cheese =/= cottage cheese.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Ricotta cheese =/= cottage cheese.
    But have you tried large curd cottage cheese made with whole milk ? That is the only cottage cheese I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    But have you tried large curd cottage cheese made with whole milk ? That is the only cottage cheese I eat.
    Yuck! No... no cottage cheese for me.

Especially not in lasagna.

2 members found this post helpful.

But in Lasagna it is mixed with eggs, parm, sauteed onions, garlic ,salt and pepper and parsley...

Doesn't matter - a real Italian would not put cottage cheese in lasagna! Eeek!

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Precisely. They are not interchangeable! At all! Ever! Period!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Ewwwww, I agree!!!! I love cottage cheese, but its riccota all the way for pasta dishes. ENTIRELY different tastes!! Are you even supposed to heat up cottage cheese!??!

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    The other sin that one cannot avoid these days is sweet food. Not sweet desserts, but sweet food. Too much sugar in everything. Vegetables bred for sweetness. Sweet food rarely belongs on the table with or in the main course.

I can't even eat canned tomato soup anymore because the sugar content is so high. Either my taste buds have changed or modern processed food is packed with a great deal more in the way of sugars than in the past.
    I feel the same way but about salt! I like to salt my food, but most restaurant food, especially fast food, is way too salty. I ate a Wendy's hamburger the other day and I couldn't finish it. I drink about a gallon of water after we eat at some places!

I agree with the poster who said using metal utinsels in non-stick pans...DRIVES ME NUTS!

My mother does this, and as a result, all of her "non-stick" pans are no longer because the coating is all scratched to hell, and everything sticks to them. I wanted to get her a nice new set for christmas, but told her I was saving my money because she refuses to stop stirring stuff with a fork! *shudder*
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I agree with the poster who said using metal utinsels in non-stick pans...DRIVES ME NUTS!

My mother does this, and as a result, all of her "non-stick" pans are no longer because the coating is all scratched to hell, and everything sticks to them. I wanted to get her a nice new set for christmas, but told her I was saving my money because she refuses to stop stirring stuff with a fork! *shudder*
    You are also totally NOT supposed to mix that coating into your food...

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Ewwwww, I agree!!!! I love cottage cheese, but its riccota all the way for pasta dishes. ENTIRELY different tastes!! Are you even supposed to heat up cottage cheese!??!
    I meant the ricotta for lasagna, I guess I misunderstood I thought "ricotta==cottage cheese" meant they were the same to the poster. I do use whole milk ricotta for lasagna.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I meant the ricotta for lasagna, I guess I misunderstood I thought "ricotta==cottage cheese" meant they were the same to the poster. I do use whole milk ricotta for lasagna.
    =/= means "does not equal"... I think. maybe?

Glad we're cleared up though, I was partially horrified by you.

3 members found this post helpful.

- Wheat/flour wraps are NOT tortillas!
    - I like my scrambled eggs *just* cooked, which disgusts my sisters.
    - I'll admit I occasionally like the overdone, gloppy rice.

For those hot chocolate experts, look in your local Mexican/Latin American food section for Abuelita hot chocolate. Some stores sell these tablets that you whisk in milk and are phenomenal!
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

My beloved cooking mentor was a tough old hide, rancher lady that made it through the depression by turning her family place into a dude ranch.

She made her lasagna with cottage cheese and that's how I learned to cook it and to be honest I've never had it with ricotta! LOL

Montana Lasagna.

Quote Originally Posted by STB Tissa View Post
    My biggest pet peeve is putting salt and pepper on food before even tasting it. Several of my family members do it. Not just a little shake of each, but a blanket of each. Seems like it would make every thing taste exactly the same.
    Mine do that and it's not just a little either. They like to shake-shake-shake that salt even though I always season everything - and they do it before they taste anything. One day I'm just going to serve everyone a salt lick. It's a shocker, but they all have high blood pressure.

ETA: I went to a party and there was a huge slick of cat hair down the center of the tablecloth where Mr. Kitty liked to sleep.

Also, don't take one of my recipes, substitute fat free everything, and then ask me why yours tastes like butt.
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    For those hot chocolate experts, look in your local Mexican/Latin American food section for Abuelita hot chocolate. Some stores sell these tablets that you whisk in milk and are phenomenal!
    World Market was selling "Mexican Hot Chocolate" mix, which when made with heated milk (rather than the water that all hot chocolate mix tries to trick you in to using) was actually quite good! The SO and I were both pleasantly surprised, as neither of us generally like hot chocolate mixes.

The SO is a pepper-douser. Even if he hasn't tried it yet, it gets pepper. Granted, fresh ground, but still It's his one flaw, though, so I'll live with it--I just get my portion before he gets to seasoning!

Overcooked vegetables are revolting. That seems to be the only way my mother can cook them, and I can't stand to eat them when I go visit. I'm not a big fan of cooked vegetables in general, admittedly, and prefer that they still have a little crispness.

When people are making chocolate fondue, and the chocolate begins to bind because they tried to hurry it up and turned the heat up too high and they ADD WATER.

I die a little bit inside.

That and the fact that everything is salty... so I've just started not eating pre-prepared food. The money I save by not going out to eat all the time and buying raw produce and meat at the grocery store instead of the pre-packed meals will eventually pay for a new Mattes pad for the mare.

Ketchup. It's just gross.

Some of these have already been mentioned -

- adding milk to scrambled eggs
    - using cottage cheese as a substitute for ricotta
    - using Miracle Whip as a substitute for mayonnaise
    - serving anything with its head still on it (fish, suckling pig, etc.)
    - taking a cold salad made with mayonnaise to an event where it will be sitting out for several hours - esp. in the summer!
    - serving under cooked chicken or turkey
    - serving anything made with ground meat that is not thoroughly cooked (ground meat is full of contaminants, which is why it should be served well done - i.e., NOT still pink)

The first four"sins" above are just gross, the last three are gross AND dangerous.

And a few additions from Mr DY -
    - putting ketchup on or in anything
    - using mayonnaise for anything except when called for in a cold salad
    - using canned cream of anything soup (cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, etc.)

While he agrees with me on my list, I don't necessarily agree with him on his list - I do put ketchup on hot dogs, and I do use mayonnaise for sandwiches, and I have been known to use cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup on occasion when the recipe calls for it - although for my green bean casserole, I make "cream of mushroom" from scratch using heavy cream and fresh cremini mushrooms (and make fried shallots to use instead of french fried onions from a can, and use fresh green beans instead of frozen).