The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Fry sauce is awesome!!

Food sins:

1 - Cooking while sick, especially if you're sneezing/sniffling.
    2 - Allowing cats on the counter while preparing meals.
    3 - Not washing hands.

I also like my beef completely brown, and soft chicken tends to feel undercooked to me - I'm also a fan of the dry chicken. No idea why. I like my eggs cooked "scrambled brown" without any watery parts to it. I love my bacon crispy, and cooked in the oven.

3 members found this post helpful.

Overcooking veggies. Seriously. If they are limp and their color no longer resembles their natural shade, you did it wrong. Be delicate with them! They don't need to be cooked to death. THEY ARE VEGGIES!!!!

Re: the cats. I get this. And, it kills me to admit it, but my cats eat on my counter. There is no other place for them in my teeny, tiny little house. So, we have an agreement (as much as you can have an agreement with a cat), that I keep the majority of my prep work to "my" side of the kitchen. Since it is usually just me and I don't cook extravagant, labor intensive meals, this usually works. BUT, on the occasions I do have to use their side, I try to kick them out while I'm prepping, and Clorox Cleanup their counter, then use it. I also wipe it with Clorox wipes ALL the time (all my counters, since they pretty much give me the finger about my so called rules).

2 members found this post helpful.

Kookicat, when you press a burger while it's cooking, all the juice runs out. Makes for a dry burger.

I like overgrilled chicken on salads. When it gets a little crisp and crunchy it seems to have more taste on a salad.

I can't wrap my head around entertaining and having a minimal amount of food. If I'm having company, I cook for an army. If I'm not having company over, I still cook a ton extra. Everyone who leaves here goes with a doggie bag.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Lack of seasoning, overcooked beef, overcooked seafood, and wilty pasta are the top of my list. And Lex, I must disagree on the fried chicken comment. I make a terrific fried chicken just the way my mom taught me too...Crispy, juicy and not a trace of grease...Done right, it is one of the most heavenly things. Served with bisquits, honey, corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes. Makes me wish for summer just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RdEventer View Post
    Oversalting! I will politely pick at oversalted food, but I really hate it. IMO, it's much better to undersalt and provide more at the table for those who have saltier tastes than to subject your poor guests to assaulted (ha) taste buds.

OTV, I disagree with you that using salt and pepper as the only seasonings is a sin. I like to season meats with nothing but salt and fresh ground pepper before cooking and then have sauce or other seasonings available at the table for those who want it. If it's pan-fried fish, it often doesn't need anything more.
    I agree some meats don't need much seasoning. My fav way to do a steak - back when I ate meat - was just lemon, garlic, salt and pepper rubbed on. My salt+pepper comment was aimed more towards veggies, not meat. I've had too many times when restaurants serve me a "vegan meal" that consists of 3 or 4 overcooked, salty but otherwise tasteless vegetables.

Food sins...
    -Overcooking vegetables.
    -Overcooking pasta.
    -floppy french fries. GROSS.
    -Velveeta.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    There is no greater sin than over-boiled pasta. Blech.
    No, I think over-boiled vegetables are worse, they become watery, flavorless mush (WHY PEOPLE WHYYYY!?!). Pasta might be a close second though.

Sweetener whipped cream. Holy gods, why? Odds are it's for something that's already sweet, like to top a cake, or for fruit. Why are you stuffing it full of sugar, for the love of god tell me why!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    No, I think over-boiled vegetables are worse, they become watery, flavorless mush (WHY PEOPLE WHYYYY!?!). Pasta might be a close second though.

Sweetener whipped cream. Holy gods, why? Odds are it's for something that's already sweet, like to top a cake, or for fruit. Why are you stuffing it full of sugar, for the love of god tell me why!
    Over boiled vegetables are dreadful... yuck. I do agree with you about whipped cream, it's not meant to be sweet... it's sweet enough to begin with, and it's not as though it's going on something bitter...
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    Store-bought mayos and salad dressings.
    Duke's mayonnaise > everything else ever.

I don't understand anyone who cooks meat past medium. I order medium rare the first time in a new place because you never know, but really prefer it closer to rare. I would horrify posters on the kitchen hygiene threads. I can't open a package of ground beef for burgers or pasta sauce without breaking out the lemon herb seasoning and having a few bites raw. I err on the side of undercooked with chicken and pork as well.

One particular FB friend takes Instagram photos of half her meals and posts VERY PROMINENTLY that these delightful creations are 100 PERCENT VEGAN. Oy vey. I get it, but I'm not going to convert, sorry. See above - collards don't bleed enough for my taste.

Also bad:

Pre-shredded cheese. (Seriously. Buy bagged mozzarella, then get a block of Sargento or better and grate that. No comparison.)
    99 percent of hot chocolate mixes.
    Alfredo sauce from a jar. There are some decent tomato-based sauces out there, but jar Alfredo tastes just awful.
    Whipped cream from the freezer section. I'm pretty sure that stuff has abandoned all pretense to being food.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Kookicat, when you press a burger while it's cooking, all the juice runs out. Makes for a dry burger.

I like overgrilled chicken on salads. When it gets a little crisp and crunchy it seems to have more taste on a salad.

I can't wrap my head around entertaining and having a minimal amount of food. If I'm having company, I cook for an army. If I'm not having company over, I still cook a ton extra. Everyone who leaves here goes with a doggie bag.
    Thank you! That's been bugging me all day.

I do sometimes buy the ready grated cheese. Once it melts, I can't taste the difference.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Cooking in the microwave, especially chicken and eggs, ick!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

How would you rate knowing your dog licked the pasta sauce from the pan you had cooking and serving it anyways? In full disclousre, I served it to my dad who had just reamed me out for allwoing my dogs on the sofa, that I paid for and in my own house! Sadly, I also got satisfaction from doing it! Had it been anyone else, I would have started over or gone out to dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Over boiled vegetables are dreadful... yuck. I do agree with you about whipped cream, it's not meant to be sweet... it's sweet enough to begin with, and it's not as though it's going on something bitter...

May I quickly say that I love all of you who use the word "vegetables" instead of the now sadly ubiquitous "veggies"??? I hate that word!

Hate the fake whipped cream as well. That stuff won't even melt! Husband loves the fat-free fake vanilla flavored fake creamer. Ew. Tastes like plastic to me.

Fat free cheese is a sin. It won't melt - just gets sort of rubbery and it sweats. Weird. DH once bought me fat-free "half and half". Talk about an oxymoron. Tasted like chalk.

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    How would you rate knowing your dog licked the pasta sauce from the pan you had cooking and serving it anyways? In full disclousre, I served it to my dad who had just reamed me out for allwoing my dogs on the sofa, that I paid for and in my own house! Sadly, I also got satisfaction from doing it! Had it been anyone else, I would have started over or gone out to dinner.
    A bit of mostly harmless passive aggressive vengeance.

I totally get it. One year my sister had baked gourmet cookies for the members of one side of the family. On Christmas morning we got into a telephone screaming and cussing match with my dad (the host) who, while I love him, is a total control freak about the holidays: be there when he dictates (Mom's side of the family has to work around his schedule) or pay for it for months. Sister was packaging her cookies to take over; she had my cocker spaniel lick all of the ones intended for Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    99 percent of hot chocolate mixes.
    OMG yes.
    I like the occasional hot chocolate, and melting chocolate for it is such a freaking pain. But the mixes make me sad And I try "gourmet" mixes, Ghirardelli, Godiva, Vosges, and it's still not anything like real hot chocolate made with chocolate, sigh.

I don't understand the folks who can groove on Nesquick. I am faintly jealous that they can.

Jared alfredo sauce. It is cream (heavy cream), salt and grated parm. cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Well-done steaks. Shudder!!
    What we say in restaurant kitchens about people who order steak well-done is not printable on a public board.

My worst cooking sins are committed because I fear employer retaliation if I don't do them-they'll fire people who complain. (Do not eat in most small restaurants unless they LOOK like a dive as weirdly they're less likely to kill you. Health departments aren't as conscientious as you'd think as they don't have much of a budget and most owners don't care as long as no one complains publicly or die.) Of course if they illegally fire me for missing work to go to the hospital and presenting a work restriction order (it is possible to move me to a station where I wouldn't be in contact with what the doctor has ordered I not be in contact, so they could accomodate it, but she won't because she has me on that station *because* I hate it) my second call after the state employment people will be the health department.

Cream puffs with no CREAM in them, just nasty yellow gelatin.

Overcooking scallops.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    Agreed! Ugh!
    Lol!! I love well done steaks...hate pink meat.