The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I love Fries with Ranch (real Ranch, thick!)

I'm with others who cringe at guests who automatically reach for the S&P and cover the food I cooked with it before trying one forkfull. Generally I season as I go. I was trained right.

Also despise beef more than medium. Oy, what a waste of good beef. (Oh and to answer the question: don't PRESS burgers... you're squeezing out all the juice and flavor! You will have a dry hockey puck!)

Lasagna made with *barf* cottage cheese. Really?! Puhleeze people... Ricotta!!

Baked beans that have been baked to death - AKA mush. Ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch View Post
    Duke's mayonnaise > everything else ever.

I don't understand anyone who cooks meat past medium. I order medium rare the first time in a new place because you never know, but really prefer it closer to rare. I would horrify posters on the kitchen hygiene threads. I can't open a package of ground beef for burgers or pasta sauce without breaking out the lemon herb seasoning and having a few bites raw. I err on the side of undercooked with chicken and pork as well.

One particular FB friend takes Instagram photos of half her meals and posts VERY PROMINENTLY that these delightful creations are 100 PERCENT VEGAN. Oy vey. I get it, but I'm not going to convert, sorry. See above - collards don't bleed enough for my taste.

Also bad:

Pre-shredded cheese. (Seriously. Buy bagged mozzarella, then get a block of Sargento or better and grate that. No comparison.)
    99 percent of hot chocolate mixes.
    Alfredo sauce from a jar. There are some decent tomato-based sauces out there, but jar Alfredo tastes just awful.
    Whipped cream from the freezer section. I'm pretty sure that stuff has abandoned all pretense to being food.
    LOL, I LOVE Classico Alfredo sauce. I rarely use it on pasta though. It makes fantastic turkey divan with leftovers.
    My pet peeve is garlic salt.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Mayonnaise from a jar. I can't get past the fact it is white and lasts forever. And I don't like the taste.
    I love my homemade mayonnaise. It is yellow from the egg whites and has a pretty short shelf life.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

I hate "real" mayonnaise, either home-made or bottled, and much prefer the taste of Miracle Whip. Particularly fat-free Miracle Whip- it's one of the few fat-free items ever invented that tastes better than the original.

In fact, I think cooking "fat free" or "low fat" dishes is right up there with over-cooking vegetables as a major cooking sin.

I am getting twitchy reading all of these!!! GAHHH!! My list of worst cooking sins includes:

-Using metal utensils on nonstick pans. JUST, NO.
    -Margarine. There is just no reason for that stuff to exist.
    -Using "cream of something" soup as a 'sauce' or in casseroles. Put on your big girl panties and make a freakin' bechamel sauce! IT'S NOT THAT HARD.
    -Canned vegetables. WHY, GOD, WHY?! There is no greater sin against a green bean or mushroom.
    -Cheap and/or dull knives. They make me angry. Nothing worse than trying to cut with a crappy knife.
    -Boiling the life out of food. It not only tastes disgusting, but you've taken out all the nutrients!

Also, I did not know that people actually use cottage cheese as a substitute for ricotta. THAT IS HORRIFYING. Also "ricotta" is pronounced "ri-got", my Italian mother would look at me like I had 10 heads if I said it the Americanized way.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I can't open a package of ground beef for burgers or pasta sauce without breaking out the lemon herb seasoning and having a few bites raw.
    Did I read this correctly? You eat ground beef raw?
    I feel sick....
    Although I did eat beef tartare one time. One bite. Horrors.

Any time I cook it is a sin--I am a horrible cook
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

1 members found this post helpful.

People who cut a big gash in meat they are grilling, to see if it is done

I guess my worst cooking sin would be, according to my husband, the fact that I cook everything on HIGH, until I get a boil-over, then I reduce the heat.

Food prep is the biggest turnoff for me. I won't eat anything at a pot luck unless I have been into the kitchen of the person who prepared the food.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

1 members found this post helpful.

DH and I went to our nephew's wedding where they had a catered buffet reception. The chicking the caterers prepared was so undercooked it was almost raw on the inside. Blech! The ribs were nothing but fat and also underdone. The only thing safe to eat was the green salad and even that was suspect.

My DH uses this one seasoning mix on everything, Johnny's Dock, it's got everything in it but all your food tastes the same, plus the sodium content is enough to make your arteries harden just reading it. Reason why I do 99% of the cooking.

I don't do it, but people who use velveeta and call it "cheese." Hamburger helper anything is also right up there with ulta gross.

I was reading this receipe that had cut up chicken, veggies, and potatoes. You cook the chicken till brown, add the veggies and taters and cook until the taters are done - about 1 hour. By that time the veggies would be begging for mercy and the chicken would be a dry tasteless lump. Didn't make much sense to me.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    We used to buy the microwave meat dinners that are in the meat section of grocery stores-quick, easy, and good. Until.........I read the ingredients on the turkey one. About halfway down the list was "turkey powder". My stomach still turns when I think of that. Guess it was used to flavor the gravy.
    I was horrified by the price of a tray of cabbage rolls at the store - $14 for a $5 lb tray. I made my own for easily half that...my DSO started figuring out the markup at various stages for the commercial ones. When he got to where he figured the original cost of the ingredients was, he exclaimed "What are they putting in there - DIRT?!" Your post made me think of that!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    But his condiment habits are disgusting to me anyway! Canned black beans mixed with Miracle Whip (an abomination in and of itself) and mustard, for example. I cannot even watch him prepare that without gagging.
    All I have to say about that is WTF?????

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Overcooking scallops.
    Done right Scallops are my FAV!! I hate rubber scallops
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

-iceberg lettuce. Why? For anything but a garnish, I just don't get it.

-well done beef.

-store bought alfredo. It's so easy to make and tastes so much better homemade!

-overcooked pasta

-lack of seasoning other than salt and pepper. I literally found a bottle of spice in my mom's cupboard last year that had an expiration date in the late 70's. My mom's food tends to be rather bland as you can imagine!

-gravy out of a bottle/can. Again, so easy to make!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1) Overcooking pasta.....until it is mush. I'm italian and we eat our pasta with a slight chew to it. My husband asked me why I left the pasta half cooked the first time I made him dinner.

2) Overcooking vegetable....I like my vegetables to have a little crunch to them....if they are mushy, falling apart, and have lost their vibrant color...chances are you cooked the life out of them.

3) Cooking food without seasoning it....my mother-in-law is famous for this....she will put a chicken breast in the oven, cook it for an hour, and call it dinner. No tenderizing, no spices, nothing.

4) And people who pick at food as they cook it. gross! It's one thing to taste the food to make sure the spices are properly added and it's cooking well....it's another to munch on dinner as you're cooking it. STOP!!!

Whole wheat pasta. Come on, it's not that much better for you nutritionally speaking than the regular white kind, provided you're using reasonably-sized portions. That distinct whole wheat flavor (I guess some call it 'nutty') doesn't belong in Italian cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by mommy peanut View Post
    I'm sitting here LMAO as I read. Thanks gads I don't have to eat your cooking or you mine Although I do tend to cook differently when it's for guests. I know I'm very select in how my food is cooked.
    I can't & will not eat any meat that is even slightly still pink. I like my meat dead before I consume it. However my SO has perfected cooking any type of meat for me so it is DEAD, yet still moist.
    Burgers can not be even slightly squishy....shudders.... I like them dry.
    Eggs also need to be thoroughly cooked. There's nothing worse than having slimy/moist scrambled eggs.
    Ok I'll quit as I'm sure most of you are rolling your eyes at me....lol
    haha. No eye rolling here. I like my chicken dry, my beef the other side of pink, eggs, well I like my eggs over medium, or dry scrambled. But not a fan over hard boiled eggs. Mr. RmH likes his the same. I also like my chicken livers cooked pretty much almost to dry. Yum, deep fried of course! I don't eat them as much as I would like, I do keep health on my mind at all times.

I definitely cook with a gourmet flair. No fake sauces, no horribly flavored salts, NEVER margarine, NOR salted butter. UNsalted only. Sprinkle with salt if you want it salted.

AND, while on the subject, I like fresh garlic ONLY. Not the stuff in the jar, not the stuff in the shaker, and I can tell instantly if it was fresh or FAKE garlic which was used. I just know the taste and the smell. Heck, use fresh, how easy is that to do? I do not buy the already peeled stuff either.

i cant stand ketchup.. and mayo much less slathered on everything, or mixed... YUCK!

salted butter.. or extra salt on anything.. and my salt is "real salt" not any of the fake iodized made in a factory crap.

meats NOT cooked adequately.. if were eating steaks and meat from critters we raised i will eat a medium well steak... but if were eating meat ANYWHERE else, friends/familys houses or in resturaunts, it HAS to be well done.. i've toured my share of kill floors at packing houses.. and i KNOW what kind of quality meat some of the stuff is.. good quality meat looks and tastes NOTHING like you get in the grocery store.

grocery store meat. ewwww. not to mention it also tastes like the freakin packaging it came in.

my husbands family is big on coating everything in salt and pepper before tasting it. drives me freakin nuts to cook for them because their idea of seasoning is salt/pepper.. how many people do you know that take the top OFF the pepper in a resturant and dump pepper on their food? several of the inlaws do. /.l;;..

utility meats. (gizzards, liver, tongue, brain, etc). liver is especially a big one.. liver is what filters out the bad crap.. why would you want to eat the "crap filter"?

wilty greens or herbs.

fresh herbs over dried if at all possible! heck eerything in general goes like that too.. fresh over frozen and canned if thats the only choice.

unsanitary cooking procedures/handling.

canned pasta sauce.. especially hunts in the metal cans.. OMFG acidic enough to rot a hole in someones stomach! (my sister uses this, and i HATE it. i can doctor it up with ground carrot and sugar to make it edible, but whoever is in charge of taste at Hunts has most certainly FAILED. maybe their taste buds are burned off, idk.. but that sucks!)

runny chilli, with only your tomato base and some meat and chilli powder... *gags*

yes, im a total foody and love great food..