The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

My biggest food sin experience to date is definately the pigeon broccoli that was servered, instead of the chicken broccoli that was ordered at the local chinese resturant. And yes its the truth DH is friends with the local resturant inspector that found their coolers full of dead pigeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    My biggest food sin experience to date is definately the pigeon broccoli that was servered, instead of the chicken broccoli that was ordered at the local chinese resturant. And yes its the truth DH is friends with the local resturant inspector that found their coolers full of dead pigeons.
    um where exactly is this?!
    however piegon is delicious, i've had it many times. though not urban garbage eating piegons, they were raised for food.

I'll be vague, Northern PA

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    I put sugar in my grits.
    No! That's just wrong!!!

What are grits?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    No, I think over-boiled vegetables are worse, they become watery, flavorless mush (WHY PEOPLE WHYYYY!?!). Pasta might be a close second though.

Sweetener whipped cream. Holy gods, why? Odds are it's for something that's already sweet, like to top a cake, or for fruit. Why are you stuffing it full of sugar, for the love of god tell me why!
    Yes, the overdone vegetables are gross. And as a vegetarian, I have had a lot of overdone vegetables ON TOP of overdone pasta. Gag.

Overdone rice is disgusting too. When it's just a gigantic blob of mush instead of individual grains...you know you've done it wrong.

Gotta disagree on the whipped cream though. I don't touch the stuff outta the can (or the "whipped topping" from the freezer) but whenever I make it at home, I do add lots of sugar. I have a major sweet tooth. Although to be fair I never put it on cakes...just mostly on fresh fruit and flourless chocolate cakes, which are not overly sweet to begin with!

Unsweetened home made whipped cream just tastes like flavorless foam!

Mayo on fries is awesome. But it's gotta be Hellman's or home made.

And curry powder mixed with mustard to dip the fries in. Goodie!
    That's German too, LOL.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    We must be cousins. Me too for the chicken handling! No crisco in my house, I can't stand cake mixes. Yuck!

Years ago, when I was still vegetarian, I let my MIL talk me into cooking a turkey for Christmas in my kitchen instead of ordering the already cooked turkey like I had in the past. My house smelled disgusting for a week. If you've never stopped eating meat, you just have no clue how long that greasy turkey smell hangs on.
    That is nasty with the turkey. I LOVE bacon, but can't stand the smell for the whole day or even a week afterwards. My house currently smells of brussel sprouts. ICK. But oh so yummy! I have some candles burning, cafe au lait, and carmel apple pie from yankee candle.

We could be cousins. I am a Laura and I am ALSO from KY. ha ha. I live just south of KY now.

I use canola oil or UNsalted butter in cake box mixes, when I use a cake mix.

No crisco for me either. ICK.

Oh yes, sugar and grits. Oh and butter. mmmmmmmmmm. Do not knock them till ya try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Oh that's just **blech**
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Unsweetened home made whipped cream just tastes like flavorless foam!
    NOOOO! Sweetened whipped cream is an abomination on this earth!

Dear restaurant owners: Please do not served salted butter!

I hate salted butter.

If one of your patrons prefers salt with their butter, they can certainly add it themselves. Isn't that why you have salt shakers on the table?

Then there is this restaurant chain (can't remember which) that serves sweet rolls with honey butter. Gag on the honey butter.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I'm Dutch...mayonnaise on part s(fries)is the best thing EVER!!!Good creamy Dutch mayo...even my Archie Bunker husband(Italian) loves it!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Mayo on fries is awesome. But it's gotta be Hellman's or home made.

And curry powder mixed with mustard to dip the fries in. Goodie!
    That's German too, LOL.
    Oh no no no. There aren't many things the South has taught me for which I am grateful, but one of those things is DUKE'S MAYONAISSE!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

3 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Baked potatoes that are overcooked and sweet. They need to have crisp skin and be light and fluffy on the inside. Too many baked potatoes these days are cooked in plastic wrap in a microwave and don't have the right taste or texture.

The other sin that one cannot avoid these days is sweet food. Not sweet desserts, but sweet food. Too much sugar in everything. Vegetables bred for sweetness. Sweet food rarely belongs on the table with or in the main course.

I can't even eat canned tomato soup anymore because the sugar content is so high. Either my taste buds have changed or modern processed food is packed with a great deal more in the way of sugars than in the past.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    Oh no no no. There aren't many things the South has taught me for which I am grateful, but one of those things is DUKE'S MAYONAISSE!
    Which is an institution of Southern culture.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouch
    Alfredo sauce from a jar. There are some decent tomato-based sauces out there, but jar Alfredo tastes just awful.
    Wegmans does a pretty decent jarred Alfredo sauce. Not the same as homemade, but what is?

Overcooked vegetables and meats. My family tends to over-cook poultry. As a result I went for years thinking I didn't care for turkey. This year my cousin and his fiancee did Thanksgiving dinner, and amidst an uproar that the turkey wasn't done enough, I figured I ought to try some. Best. Turkey. Ever. That said I prefer beef medium well or better. I don't care for steak.

Fried chicken that's been allowed to sit, that's gotten damp and greasy. (I never fry chicken at home- I oven-bake instead- but it's a treat when I go out. Unless they do it like this. Ick!)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Sometimes my flavor profiles are too simillar.

Having an Italian mother-in-law who cannot cook!!! It is a horrible thing! Definitely a tope cooking sin in my book.

Also, not cooking pasta with enough water and salt. And over-cooking pasta is just mean. REALLY MEAN!!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Wow, some of you guys are picky! The only real "sins" to be are burning the food or over-salting it. I try to work around the rest of it.

I didn't realize the mayo and fries was Dutch-I'm definitely half Dutch so that explains that! I'll have to ask my southern sister for a jar of Duke's mayo for my birthday.

I like my steaks to be medium well. I don't like it to have much pink and just prefer the flavor of medium-well. I'll take well done over medium any day. - Sauceless unless the quality is poor.

Mushy vegetables are a crime.