The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Under seasoned anything. Overcooked anything, but especially seafood. Over cooked seafood makes me want to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post

1) Let cats roam around the kitchen and climb on the counter. Friends that he had over for dinner would find cat hair in the food.

OK. I get that it is uncool to find cat hair, or any hair, in your food. My cats are not allowed on the counter and I keep a very clean kitchen. However- to 100% guarantee that one would never ever find pet hair in anything I make, I would have to have a sterile decontamination entryway complete with bio-hazard suits to change into available as the door to the kitchen. Most everyone I know and invite over to eat is a pet owner and gets it, blessedly.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

4 members found this post helpful.

We used to buy the microwave meat dinners that are in the meat section of grocery stores-quick, easy, and good. Until.........I read the ingredients on the turkey one. About halfway down the list was "turkey powder". My stomach still turns when I think of that. Guess it was used to flavor the gravy.

Ketchup.

A friend of mine puts Ketchup on everything, including his well cooked steak. Blech.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

BBQ sauce - good BBQ sauce mind you - I can understand. Ketchup, not at all. I use BBQ sauce for everything now instead of Ketchup.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I like chicken dry and overcooked. I was vegetarian for too many years and can't stand the thought of undercooked chicken. Even chicken that's cooked just right tastes undercooked to me.
    I am right there with you on chicken. I like mine done, well done, dry is best. If it is not cooked to dry it tastes raw, and slimy to me. Oh Mr. rmh also likes his chicken dry also. Yes, I can cook it the way some like it, juicy. I use disposable latex gloves when handling raw chicken. The raw chicken smell seems to stay on my hands. When I eat chicken livers I like them fried and dry, really dry, and lots of salt - but I do not eat them often.

My huge pet peeve is crisco. Mr rmh and I hate crisco/shortening. The smell is nasty. Taste is nasty. We can tell if it has this in the food.

I cook everything pretty much from scratch, probably 99%.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I am right there with you on chicken. I like mine done, well done, dry is best. If it is not cooked to dry it tastes raw, and slimy to me. Oh Mr. rmh also likes his chicken dry also. Yes, I can cook it the way some like it, juicy. I use disposable latex gloves when handling raw chicken. The raw chicken smell seems to stay on my hands. When I eat chicken livers I like them fried and dry, really dry, and lots of salt - but I do not eat them often.

My huge pet peeve is crisco. Mr rmh and I hate crisco/shortening. The smell is nasty. Taste is nasty. We can tell if it has this in the food.

I cook everything pretty much from scratch, probably 99%.
    We must be cousins. Me too for the chicken handling! No crisco in my house, I can't stand cake mixes. Yuck!

Years ago, when I was still vegetarian, I let my MIL talk me into cooking a turkey for Christmas in my kitchen instead of ordering the already cooked turkey like I had in the past. My house smelled disgusting for a week. If you've never stopped eating meat, you just have no clue how long that greasy turkey smell hangs on.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    i was able to teach him about big creamy soft curds and the marriage is going well now.
    That just made me gag because I HATE eggs unless they are the texture of rubber. My husband likes his the way you do (along with almost everyone else on the planet) and has learned to remove his half and then keep cooking my half for another 5 minutes. I also will not touch bacon unless is borderline charred and I am perfectly happy with dry, overcooked meat. It has taken me 15 years to be able to eat a medium well done steak and I still like my burgers black.

Vegans who bring their tasteless dishes to share.

13 members found this post helpful.

My biggest pet peeve is putting salt and pepper on food before even tasting it. Several of my family members do it. Not just a little shake of each, but a blanket of each. Seems like it would make every thing taste exactly the same.

6 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think chicken should always be seasoned and roasted or grilled. Never fried.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Over cooked veggies, my MIL cooks the life out of everything! When she comes over to our house for dinner I'm sure she thinks I serve mine raw.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I think chicken should always be seasoned and roasted or grilled. Never fried.
    Are you kidding ? No fried chicken .......I love fried chicken I bake it in the oven after but really that is just crazy.

My husband is one of those ketchup freaks who dumps it on everything. He has learned to show SOME restraint when I've made an effort to make something a bit complex - I told him that it's frankly offensive when he pours ketchup all over, say, feijoada (google it - it's a lot of work and $$$) without even tasting it first.

But his condiment habits are disgusting to me anyway! Canned black beans mixed with Miracle Whip (an abomination in and of itself) and mustard, for example. I cannot even watch him prepare that without gagging.

Underseasoned veggies.

People who think cheese is a seasoning and smother it on otherwise tasteless dishes.

Using only salt and pepper as seasonings.

Pre-ground black pepper.

Steaks cooked til they look (and taste) like shoe leather then drowned in BBQ sauce or ketchup.

Using metal spatulas on nonstick pans and scraping the teflon coating off.
    Then using the nonstick pans that have big scratches on them! This is why I switched to cast iron pans...love them!

People who don't know how to cook with cast iron pans and don't know how to clean them properly.

Cooking in unseasoned cast iron pans.

Using frozen spinach - blech.

Store-bought mayos and salad dressings.

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    Underseasoned veggies.
    How do you season your veggies? We generally just steam really fresh veggies. Sometime a lemon thrown in and a little salt and pepper- but a lot of times just straight up. I love fresh veggies still a little crunchy.

Just curious what you put on them.

4Martini - It depends what I'm using them for. If they're going into a lasagna, I sautee them with italian seasonings, a little salt, and some lemon pepper. If it's a mexican dish, then with cumin, chili or cayenne pepper, fresh lime, black pepper. That's my pet peeve: unseasoned veggies when they're going into a larger meal.

My meals don't usually have veggies as a side dish; they're usually forming the main dish. When I do have them on the side, I do it similar to you: salt, fresh cracked black pepper, squirt of lemon and maybe a shake of garlic powder or crushed red peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Cooking on "High". I hate people who are like "I need to get this done quickly so I'm gonna cook it at max temp!" It ruins everything. I cook burgers at low-med temps and they come out wonderful while most others seem to just crank it up and let it burn.
    My brothers did that with a pizza when they were teenagers. Put it in at 500 oF instead of 350 because they wanted it out sooner. Problem is they left the kitchen and went to watch football and forgot about the pizza. When I got home the house was filled with smoke and they were still
    in front of the TV with the clicker like nothing was wrong. I open the oven and pulled out a charcoal disk which was what remained of the transformed "pizza". I promptly hid it. The pizza made its next appearance under the Christmas tree along with a cookbook for my brothers.

OK, this is gonna sound gross to 95% of you.

My family is from Europe (Germany)--no one uses ketchup on fries or anything. But they do use mayonnaise, and thusly so do I. I will dip my fries in my homemade ranch dressing instead if I'm around folks with delicate sensibilities, though!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I freaking love fries with mayonnaise!

Oversalting! I will politely pick at oversalted food, but I really hate it. IMO, it's much better to undersalt and provide more at the table for those who have saltier tastes than to subject your poor guests to assaulted (ha) taste buds.

OTV, I disagree with you that using salt and pepper as the only seasonings is a sin. I like to season meats with nothing but salt and fresh ground pepper before cooking and then have sauce or other seasonings available at the table for those who want it. If it's pan-fried fish, it often doesn't need anything more.

3 members found this post helpful.