The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default diatomaceous earth/fleas

Has anyone put D.E. on a dog to help control fleas? I can't use any of the topical flea controls, or the Comfortis due to reactions she has had in the past.

Can you shampoo her? If so, I would suggest doing that first. A flea's exoskeleton is actually aggravated by water, and they "break" if exposed long enough - it doesn't do anything for the eggs, but helps you kill the adults that lay them. There are many shampoos out there for the dog with allergens - I've found Garner & Fructis, while not animal labeled, has always done remarkable for my sensitive pups. For a really bad flea case, you would follow up with a topical control, which isn't an option for you.

I've never used DE on any of my dogs because they have never had fleas be an issue - but it was sold for a long time at my store and many people swore by it as it does a similar thing to water and destroys the exoskeleton of the flea. I wouldn't skip the bath though, as that will really address a good portion of them.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Thanks Beowulf, Yes, bathing once a week at this point, but due to the very warm winter, the flea population is exploding and a bath a week won't work for long. Bathing more will mess up her skin.

If she is not too stressed skinwise, before you try the DE try one of these?

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/remedy.cgi?remedyid=18265

P.S I've used Borax before (I wintered in the South and for two days had fleas.. it was awesome) and it worked very well. It doesn't require bathing so you might want to think of it: it is also cheap. Vaccuum your house too - part of the problem with fleas is reinfestation: if you're in the south you probably know that but your couch is always the biggest offender - followed by the doggie bed. The D.E wont kill your eggs either and fleas are notorious at "re-spawning".

You could also try any of the following as sprays:
    lemongrass oil
    citrus oil
    citronella oil
    cedar oil

The other issue with fleas is that their eggs survive forever.. and do especially well in carpet/couches.. For your sake I hope you don't have carpet!

DE works very very well. I used it all the time for tiny tiny kittens and puppies that are too young for anything else. You need to treat all 3 areas at the same time:
    dog-DE all over down to the skin, preferably after bathing in dawn dish soap
    house-vacuum really well,pitch the bag outside, then spread DE in all carpets/upholstery-wash all bedding in HOT water
    yard-if the ground isn't frozen hard, spray the yard too- all on the same day to break the cycle
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Dont forget you'll want to incinerate the vacuum bag once it's tossed (': and put some sort of DE or spray up the hose to kill whatever errant flea is there!

Yup, we treat the carpet/floors with borax and the vacume bag. The fleas down here mostly ignore all the botanical oils.

Thanks All, I think I'll try the DE on her. Maybe do a patch on her back just to make sure she doesn't have a reaction to it. If that goes well I'll do the whole dog. And add some DE to borax in rugs and vacume bag. All this talk of fleas is making me itch!!