The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about Hunter Breeding competitions

I don't know nearly as much about these competitions as I should!

Can someone advise if the horses in these classes are scored? Is it feasible to have a "high score award" from a hunter breeding competition?

It's Best Young Horse, or Reserve. It counts to year end national or zone, but not "scored" as in dressage score. They award points.

1st (sometimes 2nd) Of each class are eligible to go back for BYH.
    Last edited by Pennywell Bay; Aug. 23, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

The classes themselves are not scored. It's not possible to say, my yearling got a 78% in that hunter breeding class.

When someone refers to a "high score award" they are generally referring to a year-end award from USEF or one of the state associations. Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania have active hunter breeding populations, and their state horse show associations sponsor year-end awards administered independently of USEF.

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

So a competition couldn't have, for instance, a breed/registry high score award? It would be more like a "Best xxx(breed)" or "Champion xxx(breed)" award?

There would be a Best Young Horse and a Reserve Best Young Horse

Depends on the show. Upperville has breed-specific divisions... Cleveland Bay, Irish Draught, Connemara, and TB.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    Depends on the show. Upperville has breed-specific divisions... Cleveland Bay, Irish Draught, Connemara, and TB.
    Of those, only the TB and nonTB are "hunter breeding". The others are separate classes on different days with different judges.

There are no breed-specific awards for hunter breeding of which I'm aware, unless some of the registries sponsor them as year-end awards.

1 members found this post helpful.

The upcoming Sallie B. Wheeler USHJA National Hunter Breeding Championships will have breed/registry high score awards for Hanoverian, Holsteiner, etc.. It won't include all of the breeds but will catch those who wanted to participate.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians

Quote Originally Posted by dianehalpin View Post
    The upcoming Sallie B. Wheeler USHJA National Hunter Breeding Championships will have breed/registry high score awards for Hanoverian, Holsteiner, etc.. It won't include all of the breeds but will catch those who wanted to participate.

Diane Halpin/Laurel Leaf Hanoverians
    I wonder how that works based on pure placings, without percentages. I mean, if you have a Holstein filly win the 2yo fillies class, and a Holsteiner yearling win the yearling colt class, and neither progresses any further - how do you award that?

Original Poster

Yes. And Oldenburg (OHBS/GOV).

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    I wonder how that works based on pure placings, without percentages. I mean, if you have a Holstein filly win the 2yo fillies class, and a Holsteiner yearling win the yearling colt class, and neither progresses any further - how do you award that?
    Exactly. Since there are no recorded scores and no notes, how does the judge determine at the end of the day which one was best? What if the classes were huge? Would he even remember which horse was which?

Best Young Horse is a class the winners have to go back in and re present to win.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    Best Young Horse is a class the winners have to go back in and re present to win.
    Yes, I understand that. But I am not talking about the BYH class. I am concerned about how breed award winners are determined - there is no scoring system, so how do they decide who is "Best Hanoverian"? Or "Best Holsteiner"? And so on.

Are they keeping track of where every horse placed in every class, and the highest placing horse wins the breed award? What if no horses of a certain breed place in any class? What do they do then? Does the judge have to try to remember all the horses from every class that he didn't place, and figure out which one was the better "hunter breeding" horse of a certain breed?

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Yes, I understand that. But I am not talking about the BYH class. I am concerned about how breed award winners are determined - there is no scoring system, so how do they decide who is "Best Hanoverian"? Or "Best Holsteiner"? And so on.

Are they keeping track of where every horse placed in every class, and the highest placing horse wins the breed award? What if no horses of a certain breed place in any class? What do they do then? Does the judge have to try to remember all the horses from every class that he didn't place, and figure out which one was the better "hunter breeding" horse of a certain breed?
    Got it. No clue and it makes my head hurt thinking how they track it. Hopefully someone in the know responds. Is it in the prize list?

A representative from USHJA will be at both the East and West Sallie B. Wheeler championships to track the all breed awards. But I have no idea how a tie is broken although the judges should make good notes.
    Last edited by dianehalpin; Aug. 24, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Original Poster

A representative from USHJA will be at both the East and West Sallie B. Wheeler championships to track the all breed awards. But I have no idea how a tie is broken although the judges should make good notes.
    And that is part of the question. Do the judges make notes as they go along? If they dismiss horses and don't pin them, do they have notes on each horse they dismiss? Or do they only keep notes on the ones they keep for pinning?

So a competition couldn't have, for instance, a breed/registry high score award? It would be more like a "Best xxx(breed)" or "Champion xxx(breed)" award?
    I believe Oldenburg NA offers top Oldenburg award in HB division at some shows.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Original Poster

Circling back to this since the Sallie B Wheeler championships are now finished.

Does anyone know where to find results for the breed awards at the East Coast and West Coast Championships?

And did anyone who attended either championships actually witness breed awards being given out, or hear results for breed awards being announced?

And part of what drove this thread is this statement on the AHS site:

New for 2013, the American Hanoverian Society will be offering an award for the highest scored Hanoverian at the East and West Coast Sallie B. Wheeler/US Hunter Breeding National Championship.
    So we are back to my original confusion about whether the horses are scored.

Circling back to this since the Sallie B Wheeler championships are now finished.

Does anyone know where to find results for the breed awards at the East Coast and West Coast Championships?

And did anyone who attended either championships actually witness breed awards being given out, or hear results for breed awards being announced?

And part of what drove this thread is this statement on the AHS site:

So we are back to my original confusion about whether the horses are scored.
    As far as Hanoverian, I know there was no one eligible for West Coast. For the East Coast, AHS Awards Chair Cathy Slaterbeck drove down from Maryland to present the AHS trophy, and in case of a tie, she came prepared to present two. The ribbon states "highest placed". So the wording of the AHS press release may be a little off.

The breed awards were announced after the Champion and Reserve for East Coast was decided, while the judges conferred for the overall Champion. Three horses for three breed awards were called back, and the awards given (with Photo op) in the ring. They did it right. It was a nice moment for all three breed recipients, and unfortunately, I can't tell you who won what for the other two.

Francheska AH owned and bred by Kate Palmquist win the AHS award.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.