The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I just wish PP would learn how loop up to shorten a longe line so it's not dragging
    That would be a lariat.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skallywag View Post
    You guys are going to be a lonely bunch since your premier trainers are going " Parelli"
    Oh, I think that we'll be safe from the Parelli-revolution. Especially since most of us would like to see show results (or at the very least experience)... and LP hasn't got 'em.

No wonder the Europeans laugh at us.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm still head-scratching over USDF giving this affair its imprimatur. If they persist, I will be very sorry indeed that I signed up for a multiple-year membership. Any association with the P's makes dressage seem tawdry, cheap and slimy.

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, I'm not worried about feeling lonely -- the majority of dressage trainers and riders I know see right through the P's marketing scheme.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    From the parelli website about the dressage summit: "The Dressage Summit will not be filmed or webcast, making it an intimate, exclusive event."

So has anyone actually seen LP ride for any length of time - perhaps a training level test or some kind of demo in which she actually keeps the horse moving longer than her mouth?
    Isnt that always the way ?

No record. No one asking why they dont rectify it?

Same horses showing SAME training and no progress after years.

No one interested in hearing these things because they are the truth.

USDF is in it for the money. The only way to begin to organize training in our country is by having instructors certified with medals to show what level just like they do in Germany.

No wonder we need europeans to come do a job many here could do. Its because our standards are not just wavering they are damned near tarped over and then lunged over by a cowboy hat with a carrot stick.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    It is just further proof that giant knee blocks and a really nice horse can fool some people... Some.

I think it needs a bit more "game of bending" or "game of dressage lessons that get you to a point where you are able to have a horse on the bit correctly and gain your own record/medals/credentials before trying to teach anyone else this game game"

Just a thought!
    However, there is a definite proficiency in the "Running to the Bank Laughing All the Way" game.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/142713...ser=1673570504

Linda on her horse on the Dressage Summit FB photos day 1 page.

I don't know diddle about PNH but I do know that this rider is in no way competent to teach dressage. These telling photos of her were posted by the minions.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    I'm not a fan of any method done poorly. Which is why I say that the 7 games are a good test, not that a good horseman would need to follow the instructions that are written for complete newbies to attain them.

I'd say that any one who tries to "drill" any groundwork on a highly intelligent horse is probably going to end up with a spazzed out horse, because it isn't the method, it is the application.

I'm not a huge fan of PNH, when taken as a discipline - created to engage people who really don't ride much, but to suggest that nothing in the program is worthwhile of other horsemen learning? That is as silly as following a method slavishly.

The problem with most of these things is that teaching timing is really hard, and that is where most people have it wrong in implementation. In both dressage AND PNH.

The horse doesn't really care what his human wants him to do, so long as it doesn't cause pain, so good NH is like good dressage or a good hunter round. It is good and horses just like to get along.

Personally, I stick to dressage, but I've learned a few things from various NH trainers - even Parelli - although mostly Mark Rashid.
    This^^

IMO you’ve hit the nail on the head – its all about timing in everything to do with working horses. For me personally learning timing in dressage involved working with a trusted riding master and practicing under their watchful eye. Its about mileage…
    Whilst learning NH and really delving into it with my current horse, I have been working closely with a qualified (not just on paper but in practice) instructor and really working on timing. I have so much improvement to accomplish, then, by taking this timing from the ground work into the saddle work. It’s a long tedious process for us amateurs who do not ride 3 – 10 horses daily.
    There is no miracle drug for rolling up sleeves, learning and working in any discipline or disciplines one chooses. The PNH, C. Anderson, etc, etc… bunch just want to make you think there is via their marketing techniques with the expensive ground work devices, saddles, clinics, DVDs.

1 members found this post helpful.

I look at it this way: If by Parelli participation, more people get into dressage, there's a higher likelihood of sustainable shows by increased support of USDF.

People who have had success in dressage already know the basic horsemanship that Parelli purports to teach. Some people who are Parelli-supporters might even take notice of successful dressage trainers/students and start riding their horses.

And if USDF gets ad revenue that it apparently desperately needs, I'm alright with it. It's not going to change the way I train my horses.

I have no problem with them teaching NH. Naked in a full moon they can run around and shake their sticks at the poor horses they feel are "hot" but the truth is that "hot" horses are active minded and need work and not work that includes ruining their hocks. If you are too afraid to ride them in a straight line then GET HELP!

Some horses do well with tedious meanderings and others turn into sour nasty creatures that only end up more quickly on the bus to mexico.

These people should stick to horses bred to work in that type of work. Stock horses will work a cow or in a small space some of them all day long without batting an eye. You breed a friggin TB to run and work straight and then run him off his feet around a parellite its just abuse in my book. He doesnt have shorter parts to sit and turn and I say screw anyone that doesnt see the struggle as opposed to a 14 ha barrel horse that can turn inside out.

They dont even notice the confused fear some of those more active minded horses look like when they back them the 500th time into sweaty messes.

It is simple common sense.

What they ARE trying to teach is dressage and they shouldnt. They dont have a clue about it and they are already border line miserable about the NH portion so dragging it all over here is just sharing the misery to me.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

If we want to have a debate about who should and shouldn't be teaching dressage, that's a pretty long list of "shouldn't". Regardless, if Parelli involvement (regardless of their previously held beliefs) in dressage increases total interest in dressage, excellent. People will get exposure through shows/clinics/classes to horses that aren't Parelli-trained and ARE rideable/fun to watch/well trained. I'm alright with all of that.

It's not a threat to real dressage, because everyone who can actually ride or knows what dressage is knows the Parellis aren't it.

PNH tries to be all things to all people and breeds and disciplines. It is a do-it-yourself horsemanship mentality. It tries to validate itself by associating itself with horseman who have achieved what they have without ever really embracing PNH in the first place. Pat exploits the talent of other people to bolster his franchise. And some of those people use Pat to utilize his gate appeal. So I guess it all works out.

Well well well....I am headed toward my fortune: videos of ME riding and talking about what I'm doing.

And I thought I rode terribly....who knew there was a market for this????

I'm gonna be rich!!!! Still will ride terribly but will be stinkin' rich!

What a joke. I see in her riding...video buffered at 1 second every 5 seconds so I got to watch a lot of *stills*...and even I DON'T RIDE LIKE THAT anymore!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    I'm still head-scratching over USDF giving this affair its imprimatur. If they persist, I will be very sorry indeed that I signed up for a multiple-year membership. Any association with the P's makes dressage seem tawdry, cheap and slimy.
    "Money talks and BS walks?"

PP has been active internationally, also. Made a big pitch to Marchador owners in Brazil last year. A friend of mine down there was "smitten" and wrote to me about him. I sent her a number of links where she could get "inoculated" against "Pareliitis." She was quite surprised, as much of what he says in the U.S. is not said overseas. Sometimes this internet stuff is actually useful.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

This was just a thought that popped into my head while reading this...

Don't the Parellis have a fairly large number of people who use and advocate what they teach? Perhaps dressage organizations are seeing this as a way to get more people involved and get more money into the sport in the form of membership and show fees, etc. I know many people dislike Parelli, but wouldn't having more people in the sport be a good thing?
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Guilherme, you're right, of course.

GJumper, yeah, I see your point, but a heckuva lot of P's followers don't even ride. They bore and ruin their horses with the ground-games and such but never quite graduate to riding.

USDF has problems all right; I don't see the P's as the solution, though.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    but a heckuva lot of P's followers don't even ride. .
    And a heckuva lot DO ride!

That is part of the beauty of it.. Horsemanship is wayyyyy more than riding! It's about having fun, with BOTH riding and not riding...
    You talk about horses being bored and ruined... You have not a clue! I realize no matter what I have to say many, no, most here, dislike Parelli and nothing will ever change that no matter what.. It's a sad for you and sadder for your horses...

I have seen enough of your closed minds and poor attitudes... You are not worth any more of my time here.. Ill just sit on the sidelines and read and laugh at your ignorance!

Quote Originally Posted by skallywag View Post
    And a heckuva lot DO ride!

That is part of the beauty of it.. Horsemanship is wayyyyy more than riding! It's about having fun, with BOTH riding and not riding...
    You talk about horses being bored and ruined... You have not a clue! I realize no matter what I have to say many, no, most here, dislike Parelli and nothing will ever change that no matter what.. It's a sad for you and sadder for your horses...

I have seen enough of your closed minds and poor attitudes... You are not worth any more of my time here.. Ill just sit on the sidelines and read and laugh at your ignorance!
    I don't think calling people ignorant is a good way to get them to respect your views... even if you're offended, you can be polite.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

So, has anyone checked centerline scores to see if Linda Parelli has any scores? Isn't that the standard many of us use when searching for a dressage trainer?

OOPS_- "no horse or rider found". Gee.

L

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    So, has anyone checked centerline scores to see if Linda Parelli has any scores? Isn't that the standard many of us use when searching for a dressage trainer?

OOPS_- "no horse or rider found". Gee.

L
    MEANY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.