The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Well that was a lovely impression of a motorcycle.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    I look at most Natural Horsemanship techniques and instructors as something that is good to know.

I decided long ago that before I completely dismiss the NH stuff/Parelli, I would at least be educated about it.

I don't like all of the PNH methods, nor am I a fan of most of the equipment, but I do think that the 7 Games are good "tests". All people should be able to run though those with their equine partner without too much fuss. If there is difficulty, perhaps a hole exists in handling habits.

That said, I was not blown away by the couple of video clips that I watched.

And, as for JJ Tate riding in the clinic? Why not? She is willing to learn things, and even if she doesn't choose to use them in her daily riding and training, she'll have possibly learned something. I'll keep riding with her when I can, as she is an excellent instructor and even better, an all around horsewoman, not just a rider.

Perhaps there is something in the PNH program besides marketing and ground work. The O'Connors spent time with them, and they weren't exactly newbies.
    I agree with you in some respects. Ground manners are really important to me and I'm pretty open-minded with regards to some NH stuff.

But what really bothers me is their marketing presentation. Visiting their website and clicking around on their very expensive products and testimonies makes me feel a little sick to my stomach. It feels a bit like Scientology: "We know how much you love your horse and how "special" your relationship is. Come find out if you and your horse have a problem. Now buy our product and follow our dogma to solve it. Now keep paying into our system in the hopes that you'll someday achieve nirvana."

The scary part is that it's just similar enough to the dressage scale to hide behind it, but of course the dressage scale requires study, experimentation and work, not one-size-and-price-fits-all. The dangerous part is that it promotes the idea that Parelli will work for any horse and that all horses fit into its system.

I've met enough spazzed-out, frustrated Parelli "failures" to form my own judgment. I think that Parelli does not work for highly intelligent horses. An intelligent horse is perfectly capable of working on more than one facet of the dressage training scale. Forcing them to drill a single Parelli game until they get it perfectly right before moving on to the next one seems to make them very frustrated and/or try to apply the game inappropriately outside of the training session. It's similar to a child feeling "held back" by a class who is working at a slower pace than him/her. I think that generally, Parelli is more successful for tolerant stock horse types that enjoy a slower learning pace. I wish that they would tailor their program to those horses and accept that some horses will not work well under their system.

10 members found this post helpful.

From the parelli website about the dressage summit: "The Dressage Summit will not be filmed or webcast, making it an intimate, exclusive event."

So has anyone actually seen LP ride for any length of time - perhaps a training level test or some kind of demo in which she actually keeps the horse moving longer than her mouth?

3 members found this post helpful.

Ughhhh! Where is the barf emoticon Of all the Parelli devotees I have known, none of them spent any time in the saddle. Oh sure they bought the Linda Parelli fluidity dressage saddle or whatever it is called, spent hours finding the right shimming pads etc., but never rode in it. I'm honestly a little disgusted with whoever is responsible for allowing them/inviting them to take part in the Summit.

7 members found this post helpful.

The latest vid is a nice grey tb being run into changes of direction. There is nothing wrong with the exercise but it easily be done with calm, in walk. NOT the way to settle such a horse's brain, or to keep it sound. #$(*&$#&#$
    I.D.E.A. yoda

2 members found this post helpful.

"The Dressage Summit will not be filmed or webcast, making it an intimate, exclusive event."
    EW. I feel the need to shower.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR1 View Post
    Ughhhh! Where is the barf emoticon Of all the Parelli devotees I have known, none of them spent any time in the saddle. Oh sure they bought the Linda Parelli fluidity dressage saddle or whatever it is called, spent hours finding the right shimming pads etc., but never rode in it. I'm honestly a little disgusted with whoever is responsible for allowing them/inviting them to take part in the Summit.
    IIRC, the Parelli's ORGANIZED the Summit. So it was all about them from the get-go, and they invited Walter Zettl, Charles de Kunffy, and Christoph Hess to participate so it would look more "legitimate". I guess those guys just got sucked into it...Would love to know how Hess REALLY felt about it.

And I wonder what happened to Klaus Balkenhol - wasn't he billed as being in the line-up when they first announced this shindig?

I just wish PP would learn how loop up to shorten a longe line so it's not dragging just waiting for the horse to step on it. They all seem to do this. Bugs the heck out of me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RdEventer View Post
    I've met enough spazzed-out, frustrated Parelli "failures" to form my own judgment. I think that Parelli does not work for highly intelligent horses. An intelligent horse is perfectly capable of working on more than one facet of the dressage training scale. Forcing them to drill a single Parelli game until they get it perfectly right before moving on to the next one seems to make them very frustrated and/or try to apply the game inappropriately outside of the training session. It's similar to a child feeling "held back" by a class who is working at a slower pace than him/her. I think that generally, Parelli is more successful for tolerant stock horse types that enjoy a slower learning pace. I wish that they would tailor their program to those horses and accept that some horses will not work well under their system.
    I'm not a fan of any method done poorly. Which is why I say that the 7 games are a good test, not that a good horseman would need to follow the instructions that are written for complete newbies to attain them.

I'd say that any one who tries to "drill" any groundwork on a highly intelligent horse is probably going to end up with a spazzed out horse, because it isn't the method, it is the application.

I'm not a huge fan of PNH, when taken as a discipline - created to engage people who really don't ride much, but to suggest that nothing in the program is worthwhile of other horsemen learning? That is as silly as following a method slavishly.

The problem with most of these things is that teaching timing is really hard, and that is where most people have it wrong in implementation. In both dressage AND PNH.

The horse doesn't really care what his human wants him to do, so long as it doesn't cause pain, so good NH is like good dressage or a good hunter round. It is good and horses just like to get along.

Personally, I stick to dressage, but I've learned a few things from various NH trainers - even Parelli - although mostly Mark Rashid.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    IIRC, the Parelli's ORGANIZED the Summit. So it was all about them from the get-go, and they invited Walter Zettl, Charles de Kunffy, and Christoph Hess to participate so it would look more "legitimate". I guess those guys just got sucked into it...Would love to know how Hess REALLY felt about it.

And I wonder what happened to Klaus Balkenhol - wasn't he billed as being in the line-up when they first announced this shindig?
    Oh....now that makes sense!

well, i just lost respect for hess. can't believe he participated in that. what a joke.

and the vid of LP riding and "lecturing" is just sad. she should learn to ride before she starts giving lessons.

4 members found this post helpful.

You guys are going to be a lonely bunch since your premier trainers are going " Parelli"

Last edited by skallywag; Feb. 12, 2013 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added post.

It is nothing more than peddling snake oil. This is the same pattern they did with the "real" NH people...schmoozed them, tried to copy them, slapped a new name on old stuff, name dropped, and took a lot of gullible people's money. They will never be the real deal...this is just their same old new market strategy of BS. JMO

So, I just watched a few of the videos. WHAT are those goofy saddles with the giant front and rear blocks that everyone has?!?!

And...LP was training JJ Tate? Have I fallen into an alternate universe?!?! OK, I think I need to step away from the computer--this is just getting too weird.

I've got no dog in this fight and know nothing about Parelli except what I read on this forum. These videos of dressage people apparently saying there's more to this than what they thought would seem to indicate that, well, there's more to Parelli than what I've heard.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I've got no dog in this fight and know nothing about Parelli except what I read on this forum. These videos of dressage people apparently saying there's more to this than what they thought would seem to indicate that, well, there's more to Parelli than what I've heard.

Paula
    Well that's almost certainly true Paula. Google Catwalk.

I've used elements of Natural Horsemanship with youngsters and schooling projects, but Parelli is in a whole other category.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    So, I just watched a few of the videos. WHAT are those goofy saddles with the giant front and rear blocks that everyone has?!?!
    The woman with the front and rear blocks is a paralympian.

That said, I'm SOOOO glad Balkenhol didn't do this. I've always looked up to him, and I would have been so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    Well that's almost certainly true Paula. Google Catwalk.

I've used elements of Natural Horsemanship with youngsters and schooling projects, but Parelli is in a whole other category.

catwalk

cat·walk

n.
    A narrow, often elevated walkway, as on
    the sides of a bridge or in the flies above a theater stage.

Did searching as you suggested.... like this one found here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1180632AAySoUn

How do you tell when a Dressage Queen is dead?

She's still stiff as a board, but her horse looks happy.
    Last edited by 7HL; Feb. 12, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"