The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Gads EH its so true!

Does anyone else feel like they only have so much time in a day to do a few things here and there and want to actually see a few of those things clinic side? I mean you did pay for it LOL

I just went to a Mark Todd eventing clinic. I saw collected canter to medium/extended work as well as quarter canter pirouette work in the corners. Mostly transitions in the gaits.

And that was just in warmup!

Should I expect less of a dressage summit? BAH!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jumpymeister View Post
    Everything that came out of each clinician's mouth could have absolutely applied to any one that wanted to improve as a rider, regardless of discipline.
    Exactly.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

As to the correction concept above. I do think allowing a horse to make the mistake after your know you have correctly ridden it up until that point is good at times, but qualifying it as a mistake vs yours is to me distinct in the dressage world hence the 52 thousand threads about our seats.

People wonder why any good rider would want to be lunged around in a lunge lesson past being able to ride above a walk and here it is. The infamous good seat of dressage is suppose to enable you to prevent too many mistakes from a finished horse.

Again qualifying your training error vs rider error vs horse choosing an easier path is much deeper than booting a horse in the flank for not making a change on time.

Pat expects a horse to react not ride with.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

PP's version of disengaging the hind quarters is IMO a stab at the original "rotation of the hindquarters", as described by Baucher, Filis, and others...only it is sloppy, incorrect, and done on speed. JMHO

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, Jumpymeister, for your notes. That gave me the clearest summation of the "dressage summit". Obviously good stuff presented -- but all of it from the real dressage experts.

3 members found this post helpful.

The event was very good. It was refreshing to see all the different ideas expressed. People took what they wanted and left what they didn't. One thing that didn't happen. There was no bashing of disciplines, professionals nor organizations. Just a great weekend with lots of great ideas.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I agree with NOMIOMI1-

the notes show that they were instructing on basic riding concepts that would be common to every discipline. Where did they discuss collection? Impulsion? Shoulder In? Travers? Renvers? Half Pass, etc. etc. etc. Gymnasticizing the horse for strength and balance. Anything?

Those things are what make dressage dressage, as apart from just basic riding instruction.

I went to the USDF Dressage Symposium when Ingrid Klimke was the clinician. Most of the coaching she gave riders focused on basics and timing. In fact, what she was telling the riders to do sounded exactly like what my instructor tells this TL/First rider.

The symposium riders were riding at a much higher level and with much more skill, but if you'd only listened to a sound track of what she said ... it was all about the basics. Because the basics inform everything.

What you use the basics to do -- from working trot and canter to renvers, half pass, collection etc etc etc -- depends on your level and your horse's level.

jumpymeister, thanks for posting your notes. It sounds like it was a great weekend. And I know how you felt about trying to take it all in. That's how I felt at the USDF Symposium. I have my notes from that somewhere, I'll have to look them up.

mp-
    The USDF Dressage Symposiums are always pretty explicit about what their focus will be. Klimke's topic was "Equine Fitness and Health."

http://thehorsefarm.com/MagazineArti...pNewsRel06.htm

Symposiums by their very definition are topical. "Summit" has a whole different connotation.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    mp-
    The USDF Dressage Symposiums are always pretty explicit about what their focus will be. Klimke's topic was "Equine Fitness and Health."

http://thehorsefarm.com/MagazineArti...pNewsRel06.htm

Symposiums by their very definition are topical. "Summit" has a whole different connotation.
    So the fact that she coached the riders on the basics even as they were perforning upper level tests had to do with the horses health and fitness and not riding or even dressage specifically.

Got it.

http://parellihorseandsoul.com/image...background.jpg

Check out the pic on the left. I guess extreme clunking is back.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    http://parellihorseandsoul.com/image...background.jpg

Check out the pic on the left. I guess extreme clunking is back.

Yes, we beat and torture horses as well.

Wow. That is a very STRANGE photo to use, promoting your training...

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    The cult members worship the parellis. I had a parelli boarder who was off the wall in her infatuation with Linda Parelli. She spent several thousand dollars just to go to Florida and AUDIT LPs clinic re the secret of contact!
    We do! and we go to Parelli worship service every Wednesday, (you know... humpday). And we spend thousands if not millions on stuff. Because we have it to spend and you don't.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"