The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Sigh....perhaps 7HL will enlighten us. I've never understood WHY, if the goal was to ask the horse to back up, they didn't tap the horse on the chest with the "carrot stick" the man was holding. The horse clearly thought that raising his head was the correct response to the rope waving under his chin.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Yes. And I'm sure a lot of the folks here would love to see a real NH trainer like Buck Brannaman not a wannabe like Linda Parelli.
    Buck makes it very clear he wants nothing to do with the NH term. It is horsemanship, there is nothing natural about it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I've never understood WHY, if the goal was to ask the horse to back up, they didn't tap the horse on the chest with the "carrot stick" the man was holding.
    Good way to get your brains knocked out on a sensitive horse. Blind spots are to be respected, even more so on blind horses...

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    Good way to get your brains knocked out on a sensitive horse. Blind spots are to be respected, even more so on blind horses...
    That's why you don't stand directly in front of the horse when you do it
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Was that first video for real?! OMG I have never seen the Parelli videos before, only heard of their craziness. That poor horse How can you shank the CRAP out of your horse, smack him repetitively with the rope and then hit him in the face and call it natural horsemanship?! I have tears in my eyes now knowing that many horse are being treated this was because unknowing fools follow the ways of these horrible people
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

6 members found this post helpful.

That's why you don't stand directly in front of the horse when you do it
    No, that's why you never do it. One of the dumbest things I have ever seen the P followers do. Great way to get hurt, great way to ruin your horses trust.

Quote Originally Posted by airhorse View Post
    No, that's why you never do it. One of the dumbest things I have ever seen the P followers do. Great way to get hurt, great way to ruin your horses trust.
    Guess I would rather tap my horse's chest than slap her in the face.
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Every time I see that video of LP torturing the half-blind horse I want to vomit.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Every time I see that video of LP torturing the half-blind horse I want to vomit.
    What kind of drugs are on? But what ever they are I would see a doctor for for what ever delusional thoughts you are having about a torture video.
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

Sigh....perhaps 7HL will enlighten us. I've never understood WHY, if the goal was to ask the horse to back up, they didn't tap the horse on the chest with the "carrot stick" the man was holding. The horse clearly thought that raising his head was the correct response to the rope waving under his chin.

Not playing the game. I might ask why you give a mouse's behind? I thought this thread was about "The Dressage Summit" @ Wellington. Guess it's turned into just another anti- Parelli thread.... adios and vaya con dios

7HL, the horse is missing an eye and is getting hit repeatedly. Three Figs is not delusional in the slightest. One of the things that is striking - no pun intended - is that the horse is no "better" in it's responses from the beginning to the end of that video.
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddfox View Post
    7HL, the horse is missing an eye and is getting hit repeatedly. Three Figs is not delusional in the slightest. One of the things that is striking - no pun intended - is that the horse is no "better" in it's responses from the beginning to the end of that video.
    How do you think it lost an eye..

She ripped it out to teach it a lesson....

Got to run and beat some horses.
    Last edited by 7HL; Feb. 20, 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: for the delusional....
    "Have a Coke and a Smile"

Me, too. I forgot how confused that poor horse was.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    What kind of drugs are on? But what ever they are I would see a doctor for for what ever delusional thoughts you are having about a torture video.
    What constitutes "torture" might be subjective. But the folks who thought so highly of that episode that they made it part of a training video are delusional ... along with those who defend them.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    adios and vaya con dios
    Promise?

ETA
    Thought it was too good to be true.
    Last edited by mp; Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: 7HL ... the Parelli mouthpiece that keeps on talking

I've noticed that any time the PP followers/believers are confronted with the PP video's they get defensive and leave. Is there any wonder why.

4 members found this post helpful.

Aaaaagh! I know sometimes it's necessary to quote someone when replying -- but I'm trying so hard not to read anything by Beetlejuice.

If all it takes to make them go away is to post YouTubes of Confuse-A-Horse games -- keep it up!

Aaaaagh! I know sometimes it's necessary to quote someone when replying -- but I'm trying so hard not to read anything by Beetlejuice.
    Mea culpa, figs. I'll try not to do it again. But 7 makes such silly statements, it's hard not to quote them.

If all it takes to make them go away is to post YouTubes of Confuse-A-Horse games -- keep it up!
    I honestly thought the Parellis made youtube take down all one-eyed, horse whomping vids.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not a PNH fan at all. I despise the "rope wigglers' he has created.
    That being said, I find "torture" a rather exaggerated claim. If I look at the videos as no-biased as I can, I see the point of the exercise was; how do you get a horse who has learned to walk all over you and pay no attention to you to pay attention and not do that? And my answer is; it all depends, and there are a lot of ways that could be accomplished. The horse made some changes, but I thought most of what she did necessary. It is the insistence on one particular technique, the rope wiggling technique, and the inability to adjust to fit the situation. I would hope what the owner got out of that was, just don't let your horse walk all over you, its not good. But instead, I assume he will just end up being another rope wiggler. The horse was bothered and harassed until he changed, there wasn't much feel going on, but ugly is hardly torture.
    As to the "contact game", (and I hesitate to give LP any credibility) I actually liked the analogy of holding hands. But then, I try to look for the good, in horses and people.

MP, you are forgiven!

Horsehand, perhaps my term "torture" was a bit strong, but I don't think it was all that out of line. Here is a horse with a vision problem. Whacking it on its blind side is not helpful. It cannot see the "correction" coming. Left to its own devices, when interacting with other horses, this one probably tries to keep its good eye towards its herd mates. Same with the people that handle it. It was repeatedly punished (or "corrected" if you prefer -- Lord knows I don't want to offend anyone!!!) for attempting to keep an eye on the handler.

If you've got to approach a blind horse, you have to keep talking to it so it knows where you are. "Blindsiding" it is both dangerous and insensitive, IMO. I think teaching the horse some vocal command ("over", for instance) while gently tapping it or prodding it with a stick or whip, rewarding it when it complies, would have been a kinder way to get the job done. Sometimes ugly is necessary -- in this case, I don't believe it was. My opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Even a busted clock is right twice a day. I have used the term "hand-holding" to try to explain contact to riders. I've been using it for about twenty years, so believe Linda's use is not original to her. We all pick up useful words and phrases along the way.

MP, you are forgiven!

Horsehand, perhaps my term "torture" was a bit strong, but I don't think it was all that out of line. Here is a horse with a vision problem. Whacking it on its blind side is not helpful. It cannot see the "correction" coming. Left to its own devices, when interacting with other horses, this one probably tries to keep its good eye towards its herd mates. Same with the people that handle it. It was repeatedly punished (or "corrected" if you prefer -- Lord knows I don't want to offend anyone!!!) for attempting to keep an eye on the handler.

If you've got to approach a blind horse, you have to keep talking to it so it knows where you are. "Blindsiding" it is both dangerous and insensitive, IMO. I think teaching the horse some vocal command ("over", for instance) while gently tapping it or prodding it with a stick or whip, rewarding it when it complies, would have been a kinder way to get the job done. Sometimes ugly is necessary -- in this case, I don't believe it was. My opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Even a busted clock is right twice a day. I have used the term "hand-holding" to try to explain contact to riders. I've been using it for about twenty years, so believe Linda's use is not original to her. We all pick up useful words and phrases along the way.
    Yeah, it just wasn't very special. It didn't look she gave any accommodation on his blind side. Like I said, you could have done it totally different, gotten the same result, and not been wrong at all. But they are teaching a method, and I dislike dogma. I think people dislike PNH for the wrong reasons sometimes. I don't think its cruel, or even all that unusual. I know of a lot better hands. I dislike the Home Depot clinic,do it yourself approach to horsemanship. And they are ripping other people off and calling it original. But to keep their machine going, they have to stay in the lime-light, right or wrong.

I know. Because they SUCK.