The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Never having seen the Parelli's in person, whenever I hear their name, I think of the Fratelli's and I've been imagining Linda as Mama Fratelli. Does that make me a bad person?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    They remind me of the Salahis! LMAO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_U....urity_breaches
    That is actually more of an accurate observation than you may know.
    Go where important people are, dress like important people, surround yourself with important people, and make sure you get it all on film, and in the press. It is almost a mental disorder. Somewhere, the horsemanship part takes a back seat to the fame and notoriety.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks to the folks who gave their first (or second) hand opinion of the goings-on. As I suspected, most of the useful information was delivered by actual dressage experts. PP and LP were ringmaster and clown, I gather!

Quote Originally Posted by horsehand View Post
    That is actually more of an accurate observation than you may know.
    Go where important people are, dress like important people, surround yourself with important people, and make sure you get it all on film, and in the press. It is almost a mental disorder.
    It's called Validation by Proxy.
    "Every little girl wants a pony so why should big girls be any different???"

3 members found this post helpful.

And more to come with Chrstoph Hess, the Parelli's in March in Germany....at Equitana 2013

http://www.equitana.com/parelli_live_1659.html
    Last edited by skallywag; Feb. 18, 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Reeperbahn anyone?
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by skallywag View Post
    And more to come with Chrstoph Hess, the Parelli's in March in Germany....at Equitana 2013

http://www.equitana.com/parelli_live_1659.html
    Germany, please accept my apologies in advance.

5 members found this post helpful.

Germany should be interesting, I'll bet they don't try to pass Linda off as a dressage rider there! I expect the Parellis will concentrate on the NH part of the event and leave the dressage to the other participants.

Do you really think JJ Tate, Charles DeKunffy, Walter Zettl, AND Christoph Hess are so incapable of making their own good decisions?? What kind of respect does that show them?

While I absolutely value learning a system rather than trying to reinvent the wheel at every turn, I also find that the best trainers and students of any art have a certain openness of mind - a knowledge that no one person or system has all the answers at all times.

By watching cow ponies work, and liberty acts (Cavalia et al), and jumpers, and being open to the possibility that others may be attuned to different valuable parts of horsemanship than we are, well, we might learn something...

Don't get me wrong - I phrase a lot of things differently than the Parellis do, and I don't advocate longeing (or circle gaming) letting the horse pass behind the longeur (lunger??), but I do think their study of pressure and release in ground work has been extensive, and I can learn from it, and apply parts of it to my training.

Yes, my name is JEannette, and I attended one day of The Summit. Though the absolute highlight was seeing Mr Hess bow to the paraolympian Lauren (please tell me her last name so I can keep watching her!) at the conclusion of her ride, watching Pat work with the OTTB was VERY interesting. The levels of pressure and release - ranging from pressure on the halter, to which obstacle (barrels or tarp) to work on, to just where to stand in relation to the obstacle, and whether to encourage a movement, block it, or let the horse consider a moment - it was a sophisticated show, even if to my mind there were times when Pat grandstanded rather than choosing the very most optimal instruction for the woman who was handling the horse. I'm sure he could offer valid critique of my work with the same pair, given a chance...

In short, I have certainly attended some other non-dressage specific events and left with ideas to mull over re: my dressage training. Hearing some noted dressage trainers footnote each other and the Parelllis in their work with some very capable riders was interesting, and I'm glad they put it on, and that I went to the day.

Jeannette: Thank you for at LEAST the resect of an open mind!
    Her name is Lauren Barwick, an Olympic Gold Medialist AND 4 Star Parelli Instructor...

More here: https://www.facebook.com/RidingForGold

A link to her book, about her life and accident...

http://www.amazon.com/Riding-Gold-Na.../dp/1453878580
    Last edited by skallywag; Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fairtheewell View Post
    After watching or trying to watch LP riding in that video....
    I just wished she had dressed better, considering she's one of the instructors.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    "Christoph Hess calls Pat Parelli, philosopher and Professor Pat Parelli"
    Just don't call him shirley.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Jeanette, I'm glad you felt that you learned something and that you money wasn't wasted.

I hope that I am open minded, however what will come of this is that Linda Parelli will be seen as a "dressage "rider and teacher, by people who don't know any better, because the absolute beginner and novice people seem to be the demographic the Parellis target with their system.

These folks will not realize that L.P. is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a good dressage rider and certainly not a qualified instructor.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Reeperbahn anyone?
    I know! And Hess, as pictured, looks so squeaky clean and innocent. I suppose anything that's not Dutch is welcome in Germany now.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I hope that I am open minded, however what will come of this is that Linda Parelli will be seen as a "dressage "rider and teacher, by people who don't know any better, because the absolute beginner and novice people seem to be the demographic the Parellis target with their system.

These folks will not realize that L.P. is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a good dressage rider and certainly not a qualified instructor.
    I would think that only horse newbies or people who are already Parelli disciples will be taken in by her parading as a "dressage teacher". Serious students of the art and sport of dressage will very quickly realize she isn't even close to being in the same league as Hess, Zettl, et al.

And really, I often wonder about the irony of the Parelli's business approach - he just wants to play games with horses, but his wife keeps harping on this "dressage thing". And he goes along with the gag, since it does attract people who don't know any better, and therefore brings in enough business for them to make a pretty good living.

Christoh Hess and Linda Parelli have a DVD set out.. Again, open up you closed minds a little.. You just may learn something!

http://www.parellinaturalhorsetraini...r-inside-look/

Your attitudes of "SHE can't possiblity teach ME !
    Is really pathetic!
    Last edited by skallywag; Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Skallywag- exactly how does having a DVD set for sale give LP any credibility???? Let's see some scores or any one of the available CREDENTIALS from the US or elsewhere. Something that would show knowledgeable people who are looking at videos of her riding that she is not really as dreadful a rider as she appears to be.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Christoh Hess and Linda Parelli have a remaining DVD set out.. Again, open up you closed minds a little.. You just may learn something!

http://www.parellinaturalhorsetraini...r-inside-look/

Your attitudes of "SHE can't possiblity teach ME !
    Is really pathetic!
    I've got a limited amount of money to spend. I've seen to much crap from the Parelli organization to give them any of it. The Barney video, the gray arab "thunk" video, Pat trailer loading.....no thank you, though the trailer loading one is certainly good for a laugh. I'm not at all impressed with the bits of "the Game of Contact" that I have seen, either or the clip linked earlier in this thread of the "hot" horse careening around on a small circle.

That boxed set is $329 for non members....sorry, no thanks
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Skallywag- exactly how does having a DVD set for sale give LP any credibility???? Let's see some scores or any one of the available CREDENTIALS from the US or elsewhere. Something that would show knowledgeable people who are looking at videos of her riding that she is not really as dreadful a rider as she appears to be.
    It's not about her teaching Dressage to anyone... She offers a way not a new concept, on how to get calmness, relaxation and collection NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP way.. She leaves the training to the masters like Zetle, Hess and others...
    That's the sad part about the members if this forum.. They don't feel she has anything to offer, yet the reality is she has a LOT to offer... The masters of the discipline see and embrace it, it's a shame the rest of you don't...
    She never has stated nor implied she is a Dressage Instructor...
    Last edited by skallywag; Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

It's not about her teaching Dressage to anyone... She offers a way not a new concept, on how to get calmness, relaxation and collection NATURAL HORSEMANSHIP way.. She leaves the training to the masters like Zetle, Hess and others...
    That's the sad part about the members if this forum.. They don't feel she has anything to offer, yet the reality is she has a LOT to offer... The masters of the discipline see and embrace it, it's a shame the rest of you don't...
    She never has stated nor implied she is a Dressage Instructor...
    She's not offering it, she's selling a pig in a poke
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.