The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

I have to admit LP has gotten better since studying with some real trainers. What do the Parelli's do about all the old crap they spouted as "the way"when they get more education? I've never heard them say "we were wrong".
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I have to admit LP has gotten better since studying with some real trainers. What do the Parelli's do about all the old crap they spouted as "the way"when they get more education? I've never heard them say "we were wrong".
    that's when you cans send an ice cream cake to the devil....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    See, what really riles me up is the fact that someone who has NEVER ridden a dressage test in front of a judge thinks she's qualified to "teach" someone who has competed at the highest levels of the sport.
    One's ability to ride dressage shouldn't be measured by dressage tests in front of a judge i.e. showing. It should be measured by the dressage training the person in question has received. I'm guessing many riders from the SRS do not show; however, they are more than qualified to teach dressage. In LP's case she is not, but I don't base that on her not having shown in dressage but by her lack of skill in the saddle (and on the ground).

I think one's qualification to teach/train is having brought a horse up the levels *correctly* while the horse remains sound, happy and healthy - also the horse should be rideable for others....showing is great added thing to have but is not really needed to be a good trainer.

clearly LP is none of those.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    One's ability to ride dressage shouldn't be measured by dressage tests in front of a judge i.e. showing. It should be measured by the dressage training the person in question has received. I'm guessing many riders from the SRS do not show; however, they are more than qualified to teach dressage. In LP's case she is not, but I don't base that on her not having shown in dressage but by her lack of skill in the saddle (and on the ground).
    The present Chief rider Andreas Hausberger was pretty active at some point in competitive dressage. Richard Wätjen, Colonel Alois Podhajsky, Georg Wahl, just to name a few were competing pretty seriously.
    And I bet that there is more riders than you think that have shown prior to or will be showing after joining the SRS

Also, they've have been doing Dressage for over 400 years.

Not Games.

(ok she took 4 yrs of dressage lessons but is that really sufficient?)

3 members found this post helpful.

So I've got to restate the OP's question, because AFAIK, it hasn't been answered.

Did ANYONE from COTH attend the "dressage summit"? Either a Parellite or not?

Bueller?

They remind me of the Salahis! LMAO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_U....urity_breaches

Ok, maybe I should have restated that. LP has never ridden a dressage test in front of a judge, never brought a horse up through the levels (correctly or otherwise), never brought a student up through the levels, and can not ride an upper-level (or possibly even lower level?) test correctly, whether judged or not. So, all of those facts to me say that she is not in any way qualified to teach even a lower-level dressage rider, let alone someone like JJ.

6 members found this post helpful.

Ummmm.....I'm not sure anyone here would admit to attending. Well my BFF got free tickets and she didn't want to go alone......
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

(I thought LP did 'do dressage' in AU (and decried it) before coming here???)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    The present Chief rider Andreas Hausberger was pretty active at some point in competitive dressage. Richard Wätjen, Colonel Alois Podhajsky, Georg Wahl, just to name a few were competing pretty seriously.
    And I bet that there is more riders than you think that have shown prior to or will be showing after joining the SRS

Also, they've have been doing Dressage for over 400 years.

Not Games.

(ok she took 4 yrs of dressage lessons but is that really sufficient?)
    And that 400 yrs of dressage makes them qualified in my book. I'm sure that many have competed from the SRS but by in large they are judged on their ability to instruct based on the training they received and not what they have done in the show ring. I was just trying to make the point that it's their training that makes them good, not the show ring. Even if LP had some dressage training it definately isn't evident in her riding.

The Spanish Riding School of Vienna puts on shows year-round.

So, while they may not necessarily compete, the riders are definitely showing/performing on a regular basis.

To answer the OP question:

No I did not go. I had a friend who went, not a Parelli-ite, merely an FEI mainstream trainer, open-minded to new ideas. Said it was a waste of time and $ (as in $100 for the day).
    This trainer said PP/LP is no trainer, no dressage rider. But good at selling KoolAid to the Lonely Hearts Club who disses mainstream dressage riders for training without their horses' best interests at heart, i.e. 'if only you figured out your horses horsenality and played games, you will sail on to FEI and stop torturing your horse.' ****

I was sad about Walter Zettl, but thought perhaps he was trying to add something to their program that in some way could benefit the horses. When I hear of the other trainers/riders and USDF, I am sad the P-show was supported by reputable names and my USDF dues. It would be interesting to hear how the other 'participants' felt afterwards. Me thinks a shower was in order.

****I'll tell you what is torture: That Youtube video of (is that Linda Parelli?) a bay horse being shanked to death and smacked on the head during a Parelli session. Made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    So I've got to restate the OP's question, because AFAIK, it hasn't been answered.

Did ANYONE from COTH attend the "dressage summit"? Either a Parellite or not?

Bueller?
    I was wondering because I couldn't imagine Klaus Balkenhol in the same ring with the Parellis. He didn't attend after all?

So, the trainer that did attend was not impressed...

It is too bad that the USDF and others lent credibility to the Parelli machine, as far as dressage is concerned, and unfortunate that many fans of the Parellis will take this as an endorsement of Mrs. Parelli's dressage credentials.

I was on the Global Dressage showgrounds while the Parelli dog and pony show was going on. Its large enough that there was some actual dressage training going on at the same time. Scott Hassler was having a Young Horse Observation day in one of the outer arenas, and I went to watch some friends ride. There was also a Painted Horse exhibition that was beyond cool in the covered arena. I went nowhere near the main arena--the stink of bull hockey was overpowering! Actually, I was surprised to see a lot of cars in the parking lot--maybe a hundred, but I'm bad at estimating that kind of thing. Everyone I know (except JJ) in the FEI show world was really not interested. And she was there because of her long relationship with deKunffy. I don't know if Balkenhol was there.

Ok, let me zip up my flame suit. I went and learned a lot-I met Mr. Zettl and Colleen Kelly and talked to her a lot about bio-mechanics. The classical instructors had a lot of wonderful advice to offer. The watch words for the weekend seemed to be rhythm and relaxation (hmm, first 2 blocks of the training scale) and the necessity to school the basics and get the basics really good. Haven't we all been saying this?

The stands were empty because the venue put up the seats the week before and the fire marshal did not approve them (and after seeing all the reinforcements the workers kept adding over the weekend, I am glad they did not). The general admission tickets were sitting at C.

The paraolympian from Canada did an amazing job. I wish I could ride a haunches in like she did. Perhaps in another 10,000 hours of riding I will be able to. (credit to Gladwell and the Outliers for that).

Signing off now. Carry on with the train wreck.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

4 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear that you got a lot out of it. But, it sounds like it wasn't from the Parellis... I would expect the others to be good. That's why we're all weirded out that they hitched themselves to that proverbial wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagegirl123 View Post
    Glad to hear that you got a lot out of it. But, it sounds like it wasn't from the Parellis... I would expect the others to be good. That's why we're all weirded out that they hitched themselves to that proverbial wagon.

Yes! Of course people like de Keffney et. al are going to have a lot of insight to offer. While we might question why they are associating with the P's and wonder why they would agree to participate in anything associated with the P's, we're not questioning *their* dressage knowledge. They actually have dressage knowledge, credentials, etc. and have earned the respect they are given.

That would be de Kunffy. I think it's nice to get names right, even the Pepperonis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Having come on at this late hour and having read ALL the posts, I want to thank you all for an evening's amusement.

The Parellis have put fur, feathers, and frippery on basic common sense horsemanship, and made an ugly mess of it, while running merrily to the bank.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.