The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Default Can you unshrink wool sweaters?

I have washed these sweaters a bunch and hung them to dry, I guess it is so cold now that there was too much dry heat in the house?
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Well, I thought not and went to look for a page that explains what happens to wool fibers when they shrink, but found this instead:

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/clean..._unshrink.html

I guess you can unshrink wool!

2 members found this post helpful.

Years ago when I was married to my first husband, I washed a sweater of his, and put it in the dryer...when I pulled it out of the dryer it was about 12 inches long and 18 inches wide. I freaked out and washed it again and hung it in the shower to dry. When I opened the shower curtain the next day, it was about 4 feet long and 12 inches wide! So I washed it again and then laid it flat to dry. It came out normal and he was never the wiser...I was like a one man SNL episode...

9 members found this post helpful.

damn, and we have rain in the summer I have been throwing away all those sheep needlessly

3 members found this post helpful.

I have tried the pulling and stretching idea on shrunken wool items, have not been fully successful in regaining the original sizes.

We have done the "shrink on purpose" thing with knitted mittens, so they "felt up" with the wool interlocking tightly for a much warmer mitten to wear. You do make them a couple sizes larger to start with, before throwing them into hot water and running thru the machine. Of course you ONLY use the machine until mittens are the right size. All washing of mittens later, is done in cold water by hand.

The sheep washed in rain should NOT shrink, that is cold water and no agitation, in most cases! Ha Ha

I've used the method Simkie posted. Of course, if you can still put the sweater on, I've found that just wearing it around the house for an afternoon helps a lot.

That iS funny Jetsmon.

I've bought from the Sally Ann a wool blanket to use as a cooler for my horse.
    It was Queen size. When I eventually had to wash it it shrunk, and next it shrunk so much it was not usable as a cooler, so itwent down as a dog bed. Eventually, that Queen size blanket became something about4' square, and very felted.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique