The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are lead ponies ever mares?

Are lead ponies ever mares? I never thought about it but it seems like that could be problematic.

Tx.

I've never heard of one and yeah that could be problematic! There may be some but I'm sure most are geldings if only because some of those horses can get quite amorous even to male horses!! Give them a mare, and OMG!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I've only known of one but never saw her. Trouble enough without using one. Also a mare is less likely to tolerate being bumped and slammed around like gelding will
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Nope, only instance I can think of would be on the farm.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

We had one but she was spayed (had cysts on both ovaries) and even spayed we knew which horses could not be ponied off of her. There were a few colts that just being near a female was enough to make them stupid.

Every so often I've known people that have used them, but still few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrivetrotters View Post
    There were a few colts that just being near a female was enough to make them stupid.
    You just made me think of high school, for some reason . . . and also of clubs & bars.

But once again, I digress.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

2 members found this post helpful.

I ponied on the track for years and never saw a mare being used. I suppose it would be possible, but not likely. Now, if you are going to pony a filly or something at home, why not? But on the track? Never happen.

There was one named Stephanie that ponied for years at Tampa Bay Downs. Never a problem that I recall but she was a silent heat type of mare. But I will agree, as a general rule they aren't used much.

We have a couple few filly/mares being used. Seems like no issue for the most part.
    My favorite little filly is a 3 year old roan. She is small and awesome. I wish she hadn't started ponying as young as she has, but she works. I have never seen her have an issue with a situation with a horse she is ponying in the am or the pm.
    I kind of have a pony crush on her.
    It is much more common to use geldings.

2 members found this post helpful.

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

I have 2 different friends that used mares to pony. Stella and Choco both pony regularly, but most are geldings. I've experienced stallions trying to mount my gelding while ponying. Not much fun, I'd hate to try taking one with a mare.....
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

A good friend of mine ponied with her mare for years! Big gorgeous Appy. She was great, but I would venture to say that she may have switched often if she had a stud. On the other hand, I ponied with a stud that had even been bred. He was an exception to the rule though, such a great horse. The only time he got rank with me was when we took another rank stud to post, then I only had to keep more outside rein on him to keep his mouth off the racehorse! It bothered him if another horse was arrogant!
    DAILY THOUGHT:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.