The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any miracle cures for congestion?

Anyone have anything? I can't stand this; my nose is so congested that I can't breathe at all. I can't even blow it, and even when I can, nothing comes out. Not being able to breathe through my nose makes me terribly claustrophobic; I literally want to scream, run, something. I'm sure that makes it worse because I breathe harder and then its harder to breathe...but I'm on the verge of a panic attack.

I have tried EVERYTHING. Sudafed (the real thing), Mucinex, three different sprays (one of those clears it out, but it lasts about 15 minutes and I'm right back at square one. I'm trying not to overuse it because I know that can make it worse, but it's the only thing that helps even a little...), a sinus rinse (can't even get it in, and it comes out my throat and makes me choke), hot compresses, steam, steam with Vick's vapor rub dissolved in it, I've drunk like 10 glasses of water, ate a bunch of jalapenos. I can't lie down at all (got maybe 3 hours of sleep last night), can't sit for very long, and standing up offers hardly any relief at all, but at least I can breath better through my mouth standing. I'm exhausted. I don't know if I have anything to take that will knock me out enough to let me sleep.

Any ideas?

I got to that point a few weeks ago and finally used one of the Afrin sprays. It worked really well when I used it - it didn't solve the problem for me b/c I had a sinus infection, but it did clear me up for 12 hours or so.

I tried Afrin; no luck, unfortunately. It usually works, but this time, no dice. 4-Way provides maybe 15 minutes of relief, if I can even get it in my nose. It's so blocked that the spray just runs right back out.

How timely; i just took a bendryl d: diphenhydramine and phenalayenine (sp?). Usually helps a little.

Debating between Benadryl and Nyquil for tonight. I need something to knock me the hell out. It's so bad, the only I can keep from panicking is to stand up and walk around.

I don't want to be the asshat who goes to the ER for a cold, and I don't know what they could do anyway. Honestly, I wish I could be unconscious, it's that bad.

I'll be reading this eagerly because I'm feeling the same way. Benadryl helps a little, but I'm so tired of this. It's been going on for weeks, off and on. I finally broke down and made an appointment with the doctor for next week. I have to talk to her about whether this is allergies or a sinus infection. Meanwhile, any temporary relief would be a welcome one.

In the meantime, maybe it would help, henry, if when you used the nasal spray, you then lie down with your head tilted back so that the liquid could run up your nose, instead of out.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

well, the sinus rinse going down the back way isn't bad...that's part of the system, too.

Can't tell you about the difference between niquil and benadril, since both really do knock me out.

try the steam with peppermint tea/peppermint & camomille

Sage is also really good.

anything else I can think of is more for the other kind of crud.

(oh, yeah, chicken soup, lots of chicken soup)

also: hot tea, rum or whiskey and honey, lemon optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Try a hot toddy! Also, lots of steamy hot peppermint tea, and to knock you out take NyQuil!

Careful with over using nasal sprays. You can get rebound congestion from over use. It can make things much worse, not better. Best to see a doctor.

I suggest seeing a doctor, just in case you have a sinus infection. Sounds like you may have one. If that was the case you could have inflamation in your sinus area, thus making everything all the more stuffed up. Plus you may need a good ol round of antibiotics to get to the root of things to clear things up. I certainly would not feel like an a$$ about going to a doctor for this , because you are miserable, not getting sleep, and experiencing panic.

I hope you get to feeling better real soon that sounds awful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried the real Sudafed, the stuff behind the counter because druggies use it to make meth and when you ask for it, you get the once over like you might be a druggie stuff?

The Sudafed PE on the shelves is NOT the same stuff. Try the real deal and take at least 3 (I've taken 4 at a time). You might not sleep,but you should be able to breathe, even if it's a sinus infection.

Don't take Sudafed if you have a heart problem or high blood pressure though.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Have you tried cutting out dairy and wheat for a while? I find going "Asian" (Chinese food mostly, but no dumplings) helps cut down the stuffed nose.
    A pizza for example stuffs my nose up, there are foods I can tell make me more clogged up. Sometimes the same foods don't seem to effect me, but when I'm sick/clogged up they do. Alcohol can do it too, a small glass of sherry = clogged for me.

a good healthy snort of fresh horseradish has helped me on occaion. hth and feel better everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    a good healthy snort of fresh horseradish has helped me on occaion. hth and feel better everyone.
    wasabi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I went to the CVS minute-clinic this AM (which, BTW, was great for a minor illness on a weekend; cheaper than the ER or urgent care and didn't clog up those places for more serious stuff). Verdict: allergic sinusitis.. Got a round of doxy for the sinus infection and a steroid spray for the allergies. Unfortunately, it'll take a couple days for both to kick in.

In the meantime, she told me to take Sudafed (the real thing, which I always get instead of the replacement product anyway), Advil, and Mucinex, and drink lots of water. None of which are really working. One spray does help a little at least, and Ill take more Nyquil tonight. That knocked me out enough that I could sleep for a couple hours at a time before waking up because I couldn't breathe.

I tried a vinegar and water steam and that doesn't do anything for the congestion but it does sooth my throat which is sore from mouth breathing.

If anyone has any other home remedies to try, let's hear them. I'd try anything at this point.

As I am suffering from a whopper of a head cold complete with stuffed nose and all, I am enjoying a bowl of posole that is made with some really hot(spicy) red chile. The chicken soup and horseradish should also help but here in the New Mexican landscape we eat the chiles as hot as possible to cure a cold or whatever ails you.

So you've got a whole lot of inflammation in your nasal and sinus passages rather than a whole bunch of snot?

Flushing with a double dose of the salt stuff can help pull fluid out of the tissues in there. It's not terribly pleasant, but I have found it helpful.

I'd also try an anti-inflammatory + pseudoephedrine. I really like Aleve Cold and Sinus (behind the counter in the pharmacy.)

How much water are you drinking out of curiosity?

Try steamy peppermint tea and lots of warm damp compresses.

Do you have a cough at all?

Neti pot. So gross. Soooo amazingly gross.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Heat water on the stove put a dollop of Vicks Vapo Rub in the water, put a towel over your head and breath in the vapors and see if that helps (that was my poor college girl's answer to a vaporizer..and it works really well when you are really stuffed. If you've been doing a lot of nasal spray..that may have made things worse.