The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Charity?

I try to give a little each month to one charity or another, after listenting to Dr. Carsons speech he will probably get this months donation, but I am always looking for good charities. My local animal shelter always gets a dribble and some of my other recent donations went to the local Feed America and Ronald Mcdonald House.

Who do you donate to and why? How do you vet them? Guidestar?
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Around here, most tend to give to private local causes.

Right now, there is the infant girl of a neighbor that is in Dallas after getting a heart transplant and they are asking for donations to help with the terrible expenses.
    Also a friend's mother just was diagnosed with bladder cancer and has to go to Houston for special, experimental surgery and treatments.
    There is a fundraising for her.

The local high school shop kids are going to their annual trips with the projects they have worked so hard for and they too need money for their travels there and motels.

That is not even counting the local volunteer fire departments and EMT, Christmas angel tree and other such.

That is where much of that money here goes.
    There is not that much left over for other causes, like horse rescues, not on a regular basis.

My favorite charity is Heifer International.

Also, last year we set up a memorial scholarship fund in my son's name at the college he was attending at the time of his death and I donated a fair amount of money to that. Thanks to the generosity of our friends and family, we were able to give two decent size scholarships. Not sure if we're going to do it again this year, though.

Anna's Angels Foundation. They are local to me, and the money goes to Duke Children's hospital specifically to fund research for conditions related to/associated with Down Syndrome. Fabulous organization and great people.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I like Fisher House and The Fistula Foundation - both have goals I firmly support. These are wisely run, compassionate charities.

Fisher House provides free or low cost housing for the families of wounded servicemen while they recover.

The Fistula Foundation repairs fistulas caused by complications in childbirth in women who live in desperately poor countries. People should not have to go through their lives leaking urine and/or feces - and it's such a simple fix.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I don't like to use the word charity. I donate to a variety of causes - from my alma maters to international groups like Doctors Without Borders to horse groups. Anyway, one of my favorites is called Sink or Swim Philadelphia, and raises money to help uninsured or underinsured people with medical expenses. They pick a different recipient each month, and you can follow the stories. One cool non-profit I discovered this Christmas is DonorsChose.Org, which funds school projects. I bought a gift card for my barn owner, who is a teacher, and she got to pick her own project.

Boy I give to a lot but they all "serve" one group.

http://www.vfwnationalhome.org/
    The National Home’s services have also evolved to meet the changing needs of America’s military and veterans’ families. Through our Helpline and our on-campus programs, we are able to help families and children through times of crisis, both here on our beautiful campus and in their own communities nationwide.

http://www.honorflight.org/
    Honor Flight Network is a non-profit organization created solely to honor America's veterans for all their sacrifices. We transport our heroes to Washington, D.C. to visit and reflect at their memorials. Top priority is given to the senior veterans – World War II survivors.

http://www.fisherhouse.org/
    as said above

those are just some of which I give to annually.
    Friend of bar .ka

I do a lot of work with Children's Miracle Network. Started doing that through my old job, and have just kept supporting them after I left that job and moved. Its a great cause, so I am happy to donate to them. I also donate to causes that affect me personally or affect the people I love - for example, I donate yearly to a drug rehab facility in honor of someone I lost to drug and alcohol addiction.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

www.fisherhouse.org, Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, Wounded Warrior Project, and America's Vet Dogs (http://www.vetdogs.org) gives service dogs to wounded warriors, and many of these Solders are back in uniform with the service dog by their side.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

Cystic Fibrosis (CF) fund

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester