The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I had a great burger today at "24" in downtown Austin TX. Huge hand formed quality beef burger with bacon, cheese and avocado slices. Don't even remember the bun or type of cheese. Remember to try it when you come for SXSW or Austin City Limits or Circuit of the Americas.

Mmmm CookOut! 1/3 pounder Steak style with cheese is my totally guilty pleasure right now.

I wanna know what this NB chain is now too, that burger sounds amazing!
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Smashburger!!!!

100%beef burger on an egg bun, with lettuce, tomato, goat cheese and BBQ sauce. OH MY GOSH I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    ...I think Red Robin is as good as it gets for gourmet burgers around here...
    Front Royal probably isn't "around here" for you, but Spelunkers in Front Royal makes THE BEST burgers I've ever found (other than what I make at home). Their frozen custard is legendary, too.
    http://www.spelunkerscustard.com/

Spelunkers is about 45 minutes from me, but I've been known to make the trip solely to get one of their Cavern burgers. It's that good.

I don't care for Five Guys, but Red, Hot & Blue has pretty decent burgers. RH&B is where hubby and I go for a burger fix if we can't make it out to Spelunkers.

When I make burgers at home, I use bison meat and cook in a George Forman tabletop grill. Since bison is so much leaner than beef, it cooks best in one of those types of grills. "Regular" methods (oven broiler or outside on the grill) haven't worked well, resulting in a too-dry burger.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

There used to be a bar in Schaumburg,IL - The Assembly? Embassy? - that served an immense med-rare burger with fresh parmesan in big flakes on top & a garlicky mayo on dark rye.
    So huge that DH & I easily split one.
    Some day I will make a pilgrimage back there.......
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    When I first went GF, I tried every recipe known to mankind for breads and rolls. (Before GF I baked my own bread every week--the whole thing is tragic really.) There is one bakery in VT which makes a tapioca based bread roll. It has a mildly "yorkshire pudding" taste/feeling, which I don't mind because I also like yorkshire pudding, but it's not the same.

I'm a fantastic cook, and my bff's husband (who is a Chef with a capital C) cooks me a lot of GF stuff as well. Bread, however, is almost impossible to master.

I will eat a burger with a lettuce "bun". Done up right, it is still really tasty--but it's not quite the same bunless and so I don't eat nearly as many as I used to as a result.
    which vermont bakery is it?

The "Kitchen Sink Burger"

Grilled turkey burger, portabello mushroom, red onion, swiss, lettuce and cranberries. Side of yam fries. Best served at "Girls Night Out" Large glasses of wine a required addition.

Hmmmm......should make a few calls today.

how about home made burgers?
    i like to mix ground sirloin and ground chuck together for flavour and fattiness.
    my secret weapon is a small onion thrown in the vitamix which produces a pulpy wet mess i mix into with salt and pepper.
    i'm also very gentle when i mix and form patties, and NEVER allow anyone to press the cooking burgers with a spatula in my presence or there will be hell to pay.
    i carmelize more onions and a handful of mushrooms and serve medium rare
    with blue cheese and ketchup.
    no bun for this celiac person either. but if i could it would be a new york style poopyseed roll lightly toasted with the innards disposed of or an english muffin.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    which vermont bakery is it?
    Against the Grain. They also make a pizza and a baguette that are passable!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Kind of off topic, but King Arthur has a whole line of Gluten Free products, according to my GF daughter. We made a loaf while she was home over the holidays, and it smelled great. Would be easy to make it into buns.

Burgers have never been my favorite type of beef. But if it has mushrooms of any kind, a flavored cheese, onions, etc. I will eat it! My main problem is we raise our own grass fed beef, so eating a burger out rarely happens, just too disappointing unless you are at a top quality dining room.

Does anyone else find that when you mostly make your food from scratch, eating out means skipping anything cheap and fast (not necessarily a bad thing) and sometimes even then suffering gastric distress? I am not gluten intolerant, so it is not that, it is just everything seems to have more and more preservatives in it.

I'll take Beef over Pork, Chicken, Lamb anytime! Has nothing to do with raising it (well that is WHY we raise it) has everthing to do with versatility and taste.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

[QUOTE=lawndart;6828496]

Does anyone else find that when you mostly make your food from scratch, eating out means skipping anything cheap and fast (not necessarily a bad thing) and sometimes even then suffering gastric distress? I am not gluten intolerant, so it is not that, it is just everything seems to have more and more preservatives in it.

QUOTE]

actually we were too lazy to go for groceries yesterday and i wasn't into an omelet so i opened a can of tamales which was in the dollar basket and i picked up on a whim and dh drug out some hot dogs from the freezer and a can of beans he found in the dollar basket.
    we thought it would be fun to have hot dogs and beans, as we did when we were kids, and i heated up the tamales too. though they sure were strange little things!
    i ate a few bites of each and threw up a half hour later.
    i think it's a good thing my body rejects that stuff now!

My dad makes the best burgers. He mixes ground beef with hot pork sausage, and mixes in worcestershire sauce, chopped onions, salt and pepper. Great with cheese or not. Yum!

Ranch dressing mix blended into lean ground beef, about 1/2 package to the pound.

Thin patties of lean ground beef pressed together with a dollop of blue cheese in the center.

For a side dish, slice a baking potato into wedges and boil until the skin just starts to loosen (10-15 minutes). Place wedges in a baking pan, skin side down, sprinkle with Mrs.Dash and Molly McButter, then bake 20-30 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Fries without the fat or salt.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Amateurs... the ultimate burger is the Isle of Palms burger at Pawley's Front Porch in Columbia, SC. 8 oz. of fresh ground beef, home- made pimento cheese, jalapeno bacon, lettuce, tomato, pickle on a pretzel bun...swoon.

You guys are killing me! I haven't been able to eat a "real" burger for a year since I broke my arm (nerve damage means no double-fisting). Hoping that by April I'll be able to enjoy some of these combinations.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Jen-s, our "date" was at RR! Ah, burger burger burger. I've been jonesing ever since Lex started this thread, damn him!

ETA: If you want to go back, I'll cut yours into bite sized pieces!

Lawndart, I have tried to make bread with King Arthuer GF, Pamela's GF, Enjoy Life's GF, etc. flours. Some are more passable than others. None are "enjoyable" in that "oooohhh, I could really go for a piece of that GF bread..." LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

A restaurant near me has a burger list of about 59 burgers. Their bun is nice a light but doesn't turn into a sodden mess.
    My favorite is a modification of one on the list: rare burger, sharp cheddar cheese, 2 onion rings, ranch dressing. The burgers are 1/3 pound. On the menu they have it as thick cut bacon instead of the cheese. Sorry I can't do a burger without cheese.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    Jen-s, our "date" was at RR! Ah, burger burger burger. I've been jonesing ever since Lex started this thread, damn him!
    I promise I'll make it up to you next time I am in Raleigh.
    SPACE FOR RENT

You're on!

I really really loved the burgers from the White Horse Tavern that you could get in the Suncast Pavillion last year at WEF. This year, the WHT has a food truck and the burgers just aren't the same. It was a sad day when I found that out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    There used to be a bar in Schaumburg,IL - The Assembly? Embassy? - that served an immense med-rare burger with fresh parmesan in big flakes on top & a garlicky mayo on dark rye.
    So huge that DH & I easily split one.
    Some day I will make a pilgrimage back there.......
    The Assembly. Hoffman Estates. Still there, still serving awesome, greasy, expensive burgers. Mmmm...
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.