The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Red face Ideal Burger: Share Yours Here!

Here is my ideal burger.....

A buttered golden brown white bread bun, two 1/3lb seasoned Angus beef patties, shredded lettuce, three strips of applewood smoked bacon between the patties, two slices of American cheese covering the patties, mayo on the top, and hickory bbq sauce on the bottom. Served with seasoned fries.

What's yours?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Duda's in Fells Point does one of the best burgers I've had. Topped with boursin cheese and mushrooms- yum.

I think I did it a little better.

Fresh baked bread roll from up the street, lightly toasted. Beef patty done with seasoned salt and a handful of bread crumbs, with a spoonful of herb cheese in the patty. Herb cheese melted on top. Smother with mushrooms cooked in garlic and wine.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm pretty welcoming of all good burgers in all varieties, haha. I do prefer burgers with bacon and cheese, though. For awhile I went around eating burgers wherever I could and joking I was on a burger tour, before even I needed a break from burgers.

I miss burgers. I'm gluten free--there is no such thing as a "good" GF bun. It's surprising how integral a good bun is to a good burger. Sigh.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    I miss burgers. I'm gluten free--there is no such thing as a "good" GF bun. It's surprising how integral a good bun is to a good burger. Sigh.
    You pretty much have to roll your own if you want a good GF bun unless someone just goes ahead and makes it for you.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

When I first went GF, I tried every recipe known to mankind for breads and rolls. (Before GF I baked my own bread every week--the whole thing is tragic really.) There is one bakery in VT which makes a tapioca based bread roll. It has a mildly "yorkshire pudding" taste/feeling, which I don't mind because I also like yorkshire pudding, but it's not the same.

I'm a fantastic cook, and my bff's husband (who is a Chef with a capital C) cooks me a lot of GF stuff as well. Bread, however, is almost impossible to master.

I will eat a burger with a lettuce "bun". Done up right, it is still really tasty--but it's not quite the same bunless and so I don't eat nearly as many as I used to as a result.

I haven't made any bread in years, but oddly enough I can see my bread making machine sitting on the counter from here when we're talking about this. I too am a good cook and enjoy it very much. One of the things I was looking for in a match on OKCupid was a desire to join me in the kitchen for culinary experimentation. Did you ever go to Red Robin when you lived here?

My favorite burger is from a local NB chain, with crumbled blue cheese, havarti, caramelized onion, walnut pesto. It's the walnut pesto and caramelized onions together that make this thing out of this world - honestly, I'm not sure I'd notice if they left out the patty!

Interesting. I have never seen such a burger in my adventures.

Lex, we have Red Robin down here too. And I have eaten burgers there and it is a rare treat because it's not so bad for a chain. Red Robin is a staple for people with small kids because it's so loud in there you are unlikely to disturb anyone if your own child is rambunctious.

Bread making machine? Amateur!

Coanteen--where in NC are you referring (NB = New Bern?)? That sounds DIVINE!!!!

First world problems, Love. I think Red Robin is as good as it gets for gourmet burgers around here. Fuddruckers is okay but they don't seem to be around much anymore.

Cook Out makes a great burger (fast food). I don't think they are in VA, though. There's always 5 Guys, which are all over NC now too.

I've never eaten at a Fuddrucker's. Honestly, I don't eat much at any chains--I didn't so much before being GF, and it's almost impossible now post GF. Many chains are becoming GF tolerant in that they offer a GF menu, but cross contamination (which I don't think is a problem for me, but who knows) is still a very real possibility.

I will say that if you declare yourself GF when you enter RR, the manager waits on you. I think that's a First World win!

I'm not a big fan of Five Guys. Never had anything all that great from them here in VA. Always overly greasy and not big meaty burgers from what I remember.

This one from the Spotted Pig restaurant here in NYC: http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/1...525/065514.jpg

Medium-rare beef, brioche bun, a dollop or two of Roquefort cheese and nothing else but a side of perfectly crispy, garlick-y rosemary shoestring fries.

Shut the front door! I want to go to there.

COTH field trip?

ETA: I really want a Five Guys burger now. That's my favorite "fast food" burger.

2 members found this post helpful.

$20 a pop is okay if it's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    $20 a pop is okay if it's really good.
    I promise it's worth it. Plus, it's so big that it's easy to half it and share it.

Based on the beefiness, it looks like one could satisfy me and I'm known for double-fisting when it comes to burgers.

I have no problem spending money on good food. I'm in. You guys can fight over my bun.