The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default After my Yorkie is put to sleep, how to handle my other dog....

My darling little Yorkie has Lymphoma and the prednisone is no longer working. His tumors are getting bigger and I think it is just a day or two before I will have to take him to the vet one last time.

I want to bury him in my pasture next to my dear cat that passed in 2011, so I will be bringing him back from the vet.

My question is regarding my other dog. She is a Smooth Fox Terrier and she went blind last year. She is very attached to Yorkie. Should I let her "see" the body? Would it help her to understand, or is it better that he is just gone from her life?

Just looking for some input. I really don't know if it will help her or not.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

oh dang, I'm sorry for you and your dogs that you have to go through this...

In my experience, when my other animals got to see and understand what happened they seemed to be able to move on more quickly. I've had dogs and cats die where everyone could do their visitations and it just seemed to go on very well. We had our good big horse put to sleep which you probably remember and none of the other horses saw anything of it... and years afterwards his friends would scream and call to any horse trailer that pulled in the yard. It was heart breaking to all of us. I think they understand death; I don't think they understand disappeared.

I am so sorry. I lost my wonderful Riana-dog to lymphoma nearly two years ago now and it was just awful

I agree with cowboymom...if your other dog can be there, and given time to smell her friend after, for as much time as she needs, that will be helpful. We were able to have Riana put down at home, and had as much time with her as we--and the other critters--needed before we took her to the critter crematory. ALL of our other critters, cats included, came by to check out the situation and say goodbye. Our other dog, Koa, was there for the euthansia and was given plenty of time, and I think that was very important for her.

I don't know if you've considered home euthanasia, but we've found it so much easier than taking them in to the vet. We have Home to Heaven here in Colorado. Perhaps you have something similar? Ah, here are several in Florida. If you're interested in such a thing, you might even ask your large animal yet. We didn't know about Home to Heaven for Riana, and my regular equine guy came to the house on a Saturday to help us out when it became clear asking her to get through the weekend was unfair.

Simkie, how did you know it was time for your dog? What happened as the cancer proogressed? He is starting to feel uncomfortable today and today is the first day he hasn't been able to lift his leg to pee and I noticed the node in front of his right hind is getting larger.

He wasn't interested in his dog food but he did eat some ham and vanilla yogurt and I shared a little vanilla ice cream with him and he did enjoy that.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Amwrider, her chest was filling with fluid. We'd drained it once, and we were treating her very aggressively with pred and chemo and the typing of the cancer was positive, but she just went downhill very quickly and was not responding to anything. The oncologists might have wanted me to wait a little longer for the chemo to work, but I just couldn't put her through anymore. They were supportive of my decision when I spoke with them the next week, but I couldn't reach them that weekend.

There is a thread about it here, if you would like to read: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...anine-lymphoma

I am afraid I cannot think about it too hard without getting quite upset still

I am sorry Simkie. Thank you for your help. (((hugs)))
    Bernard M. Baruch

Cancer just sucks. So much. And I am so sorry you and your dog have to go through it

If you think it might be time, then make the appointment. Better to let him go while he still feels okay then when it's critical and he's totally miserable and wanting to die.

It looks like there is a vet in Tampa that does home euths on that page I posted earlier. Putting them down at home--we've had a few now, sadly--has been so much better than at the vet. Sometimes your regular vet will even come to the house if you ask, although it's a bit rare with the liability issues.

When we put Pinch down at the vet's office, Siren was there for her own exam and we let her say good bye. It seems she told the others that remained at home. When Siren's time came, just 10 days later, we just had to rush to the vet and it never occurred to us that we should bring another dog with us. Her son took it hardest, her daughters were upset too. It was months before her son stopped giving me the sad look of grief. I will never put a dog down without company again.

Very sorry you are going through this. Hugs to you for strength when the time comes.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Thank you all, Yorkie was laid to rest this morning by his regular veterinarian. It was a very peaceful passing.

I brought him home and put him in his doggie bed for Roxie and my kittie Mocha to say their goodbyes.

Roxie was very agitated last night when Yorkie started to decline. I think she knew. Yorkie was being very stoic but I could tell he was uncomfortable.

He did perk up a bit when I carried him around the farm for a last look and then when he went on his last ride in the truck.

He is buried in my pasture in his favorite spot for deer watching.

Roxie is very depressed and did not finish her dinner last night and did not eat this morning either. She is greiving.
    Bernard M. Baruch

One of my boarders does pet memorial jewelry and asked me for some of his hair so I snipped some gold and black hair from him before burial. I am going to miss my pup so much.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
    Bernard M. Baruch

Amrider, so very sorry for your loss. I know when I had my Simon cat put down at home last year, I did show his body to his other three cat buddies. Simon's best friend Oliver was obviously horrified, and he grieved for a good couple of weeks - off his feed and everything (and if you knew Ollie you'd know what that meant!)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I am so sorry for your loss. It was very brave of you to let him go when you sensed he was uncomfortable and allowing his passing to be peaceful rather than waiting too long.