The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default FB -Do you friend people that you do not know?

Does anyone here friend people on FB that you do not know in RL? I personally WON'T. I saw some kind of CSI or something where people got stalked by a FB friend. I am not all that into FB and certain people do not know some things about me.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I don't "friend" anyone on Facebook except those I need/want to keep in touch with, which are my close friends who no longer live here. Anyone else, including my family or anyone I work with, I don't bother with.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to. I would most people if I knew them even by proxy (friend of a friend, met once at a party, etc)....then I realized how ridiculous that was and began deleting all of them -- I recently went from 600 some 'friends' to about 248 people that I actually know.

The best part? The drama on my newsfeed has decreased 1000x
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I never friend anyone I do not know, and I often do not friend people I do know. I have only a couple of people from work as FB friends, and these are people that are very good friends outside of the office. My FB friends are people I want to stay in touch with, whose posts and pics I want to see. Likewise, my FB friends comment on my posts/pics.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I have six people on my Facebook Friend list.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

No. Only people I know irl, and even then I add additional privacy through custom lists (but never post anything that would cause me any embarrassment or trouble even if the "acquaintances" list saw it).

3 members found this post helpful.

Only some side saddle gals who I don't know in person but we all have that in common. We really only post about, well, side saddles, side saddle habits, side saddle horses...you get the picture.

I have friended several hunts. Don't know the people personally on a lot of them, but I enjoy reading the hunt reports.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

My general rule is that I will not friend you unless I have met you in person. I have a handful of exceptions - mostly horse people with which I have many mutual friends or people I have known online for many years and whose identity I can verify. I have added complete strangers for playing games, but they are given highly restricted privacy settings and cannot see any more of my profile than the general public.

1 members found this post helpful.

I do for various social clubs and work groups. But, my Facebook is not that private, and anything on there is work and public friendly. I figure if I am all into being an uber-private person then maybe Facebook isn't a good idea LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

3 members found this post helpful.

I won't accept any friend requests from anybody that I don't know AND wouldn't want to talk to if I saw them in public. Hence, there are quite a few people that i KNOW, but still won't friend. I laugh at my co-worker who thought it would be great to friend our boss. Even though our boss is pretty darn cool, I certainly don't want him reading about me moaning & groaning if I have a crappy day at work. When he asked me why I wouldn't friend him on FB, I looked him straight in the face and said "it's no fun bitching about you if you can actually read it". He just laughed and said I have a valid point. My husband and I aren't even FB friends.
    Cindy

I don't friend anyone unless I know them. We also have a Facebook page for our farm to promote our show pig breeding operation and we do get some very strange "likes", usually from people out of the country. Those I usually ban.

I don't send friend requests to work people, but begrudgingly accept theirs, and add them to a list with restricted privacy in case i want to vent about something work related.
    I wish i could get away with saying something like what mali said to one of my managers, but his ego wouldn't allow it!

I have... four people on my friends list that i haven't actually met in person, but they are big into dog rescue, so i like reading their statuses.
    There are several people that i haven't spoken with in years who i only knew briefly in college. I think about removing them but don't ever get around to it.
    My close friend went through her list once she found out she and her husband were expecting, and deleted anyone she didn't really want to see her baby updates/pictures.
    I've also had about 3 people remove me (and i'm assuming other people, lol) from their lists shortly after they announced their own pregnancies, which kinda bummed me out because i a)thought we were closer, or not un-friend-worthy, b) was genuinely excited for them and to see their updates.... but it's their choice after all
    I won't accept friend requests from people I don't recognize. If i sort of remember the name, and we have more than a few mutual friends, it's a case-by-case basis!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Very rarely. My main rule of thumb is having to know you in person.

Here's a question for you all...I prefer to keep my work and my personal life very separate. However, I have the feeling that my clients and potentially my boss (I'm a barn manager) will try to friend me. How does one delicately extricate themselves from this without being rude? I like them all a lot and like my job, but I feel like FB is really for close friends/family only - not coworkers/clients/bosses.

At my last job, my boss' teenager and teenage boarder tried to friend me and actually pestered me about it for a long time (irritating!). With adults the being offended part is going to be a little harder to deal with. Before the last job, all of my coworkers and supervisors were my friend on FB as well and it made things really awkward. I felt like they knew more about my life than I did half the time! There was no separation of work and personal life, hence my current stance.

Yep. I originally joined to play a game and don't really post anything that's super private anyway.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

I have a lot of Saddlebred/Saddle Seat friends that I do not actually know in real life.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

I used to. I deleted my old Facebook because it was full of people I didn't know, or didn't care for. Now, beyond maybe a couple of people I've met in passing, most of the people on my FB are people I know. I barely post on it anyway, except for ridiculously asinine statuses or videos of horses I think are pretty. Exciting stuff.

I have a small handful (<5) friends I have never met in real life, but they are people who I met elsewhere online and we have horse stuff in common. Turns out, as discovered by seeing their FB posts, that we actually have a lot more in common than just horses, so I like seeing their stuff on my FB feed.

But I am occasionally completely baffled by some friend requests I get-- people I have NEVER had any interaction with whatsoever. They're a friend of a friend, saw something I commented on, whatever. I can't believe people actually friend-request like that... it's just weird to me.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I don't. If I haven't met someone in person, I will not add them and I will not accept friend requests from them. I have a few exceptions (all COTHers), but not very many.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    Very rarely. My main rule of thumb is having to know you in person.

Here's a question for you all...I prefer to keep my work and my personal life very separate. However, I have the feeling that my clients and potentially my boss (I'm a barn manager) will try to friend me. How does one delicately extricate themselves from this without being rude? I like them all a lot and like my job, but I feel like FB is really for close friends/family only - not coworkers/clients/bosses.

At my last job, my boss' teenager and teenage boarder tried to friend me and actually pestered me about it for a long time (irritating!). With adults the being offended part is going to be a little harder to deal with. Before the last job, all of my coworkers and supervisors were my friend on FB as well and it made things really awkward. I felt like they knew more about my life than I did half the time! There was no separation of work and personal life, hence my current stance.
    "I only use facebook to keep in touch with relatives, sorry!" works for me

A random guy added me to facebook, and we ended up dating for 2 years!

This was in 2008 I believe. You used to be able to do a search based on age, sex, etc. A guy from my college came across my profile. He liked my profile picture and added me. I was new to the whole fb thing, and saw we went to the same school, so I thought why not! Through talking to a male friend of mine, I learnt that they went to the same high school and that he was actually a good guy. In the end, the relationship didnt work, but he is a great guy and his wife is very lucky!

Now a days... if I dont know you, I dont add you! I also dont use my last name. I use my first name and my middle name, so it can make finding me harder!